• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know if you have followed this thread enough to see the simple info I am seeking about the MRX 540...but I currently own a lowly, little 4K Yamaha RX-V385 ($279 ). It has VERY FEW inputs, but I studied the user manual this morning and discovered that I can plug in the analog cables from the special music DAC on my Panasonic DP-9000 4K Blu-Ray Disc player (more than 3x the cost of the Yamaha AVR ), source that connection in the Yamaha menu and set those analog feeds to "Direct" and get unprocessed stereo music playback utilizing the auxiliary music DAC in the Blu-Ray player for processing! (At least that is how it appears from my reading). Something that, according to this forum page I will not be able to do on the $1600 Anthem MRX 540.
As an ex-Anthem MRX-700 owner who moved to a Yamaha 3600, I can say you are correct. "Pure Direct" mode bypasses all internal Yamaha digitization.

Bobo77

As noted I had confirmed in several places - I lost money canceling my prepaid order on an 1140 as well.

as far as sources - I had a document (I could not find) that lined up the various functions of the MXRs and AVMs and this was shown - this doc i could not find on the anthem AVM site when I looked today.

also confirmed by Zoltan Balla a Paradigm spurce of info - With whom I interfaced and is working on stuff related to the new AVMs and the poor 60 review.

‘here’s another exchange with Anthem:

On Feb 14, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Anthem <[email protected]> wrote:​
Hello Duraace9sp,​
Analog Direct is not available on the MRX series, so it always be processed by the internal DAC. There is no workaround for this as this is the intended use.​
Chris | Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team
sorry you don’t like the message - neither did I.....​

THANKS for that documentation! If you read my response to Peng...I just found that I can do what I need to do with my existing little Yamaha. LOL! It won't have the power behind it, but I think for now I will cancel my unpaid pre-order. Audio Advice wanted me to "pay in full" up-front and I laughed :D and found a very reputable supplier who charges my card when the unit ships. I am sure that I will have no trouble cancelling the order at no expense. As it should be.
Bummer. I was all set to upgrade to something that I "thought" would make my system much more exciting.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful, helpful, well-documented input!!!!!

Last edited:

Bobo77

What symphara said. Just trying to be helpful.

With only a couple of posts to your name I wasn't sure if you knew who Bob Pariseau is and his expertise. Believe me, as someone who has dealt with Anthem tech support many times, I was just trying to explain that your Anthem tech guy (who I now know you don't have an Anthem tech guy, but I thought you did when I wrote this) wouldn't know as much as Bob. A lot of newbie's believe the official company line, so I didn't want you falling for a false line from Anthem support that the analog wasn't digitized.

Hopefully this clarifies my response.
Thanks.

Bobo77

As an ex-Anthem MRX-700 owner who moved to a Yamaha 3600, I can say you are correct. "Pure Direct" mode bypasses all internal Yamaha digitization.
Thanks for confirming my findings...I am disappointed about the Anthem. If I want more power for my 5.1 set-up... I will have to find another route apparently.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for confirming my findings...I am disappointed about the Anthem. If I want more power for my 5.1 set-up... I will have to find another route apparently.
My personal recommendation, if I was going to buy a new AVR in that price range today, would be the Denon AVR-X3700H. Denon does not digitize inputs using the direct mode.

According to the ASR Review of the flagship MRX 1120, that unit hit max power of 151 watts into 2 channels at 76 dB SINAD.

According to ASR review, the Denon AVR-X3700H hit 168 watts into 2 channels at 88 dB SINAD.

So unless the new MRX uses a completely different amplifier design, I'd say the Denon has more power at a lower price point, and gives you the flexibility of 9 channels vs just 5 for the Anthem.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My personal recommendation, if I was going to buy a new AVR in that price range today, would be the Denon AVR-X3700H. Denon does not digitize inputs using the direct mode.

According to the ASR Review of the flagship MRX 1120, that unit hit max power of 151 watts into 2 channels at 76 dB SINAD.

According to ASR review, the Denon AVR-X3700H hit 168 watts into 2 channels at 88 dB SINAD.

So unless the new MRX uses a completely different amplifier design, I'd say the Denon has more power at a lower price point, and gives you the flexibility of 9 channels vs just 5 for the Anthem.

I would add that the MRX-1120's surround channels are even less (much less) powerful, like less than half.. Same for the MRX-1140, 740, less than half the rated output of the 5 main channels.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Anterantz

Hello, will someone send amir an anthem mrx740? I'm curious to see its real power on two channels and seven channels.

Is anyone around for the review?

rccarguy

Hello, will someone send amir an anthem mrx740? I'm curious to see its real power on two channels and seven channels.

Is anyone around for the review?

Well you could use this a guide compare anthem rated output to this then get the 740 and deduct a similar percentage. Not ideal but closer guesstimation then going by anthem power

OP
S

SynthesisCinema

Gene got MRX 740 and is going to measure it! Hopefully this does much better than the MRX520 which was big let down. Not sure if the noisy fan issue has been fixed on these yet.

Top Bottom