• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aesthetically the original Source Point 10 (terrible name) had a hipster vintage vibe, and the smaller one carried that theme at an even more acceptable scale. Unfortunately this beast is just not pleasing to the eye... sure a loudspeaker is designed to be listened to, but whether they are powered on or off, you are looking at them 100% of the time.

Not a fan.

nothingman

Aesthetically the original Source Point 10 (terrible name) had a hipster vintage vibe, and the smaller one carried that theme at an even more acceptable scale. Unfortunately this beast is just not pleasing to the eye... sure a loudspeaker is designed to be listened to, but whether they are powered on or off, you are looking at them 100% of the time.

Not a fan.

Arbitrary and in the eye of the beholder. I’m a bigger fan of KEF than Mofi but it would be much easier for me to get the 888 in the door past my wife than something like the R7 and its garish rose gold alongside walnut (I was really hoping that color scheme would be updated for the Meta line). The SourcePoint series is doing well on aesthetics for those who want something a bit classic and mid-century.

Back to the speakers… these are compelling! Yes, definitely would like to see the Klippel.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is fun to see a new manufacturer deliver product backed by a guy who has proven he can make a nice speaker. I wish them well and hope it meets expectations. i thought it was a bold move for MoFi to venture into the speaker market. It seems to me the company has positioned themselves attracting high end audiophiles. Smart move IMHO

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not a fan.

Hmm. I kinda like it. In spirit it’s like a 21st century riff on the old Tannoy D500/D700. Hope it’s at Axpona.

OTOH I really didn’t like the look of Sourcepoint 10 when I saw them in person - just looked cartoonishly big for a standmount to me.

Reactions: Zvu

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. I kinda like it. In spirit it’s like a 21st century riff on the old Tannoy D500/D700. Hope it’s at Axpona.

OTOH I really didn’t like the look of Sourcepoint 10 when I saw them in person - just looked cartoonishly big for a standmount to me.
I guess as @nothingman said, beauty or the lack thereof is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it is also generational? I don't consider the two original PointSource speakers to be stand mount, to me they are a take on the classic "bookshelf" design. Of course deploying them for the best compromise of aesthetics and sonics may prove a challenge.

For unexplainable reasons I like the look of the old AR3a but am not a fan of big tall coffins. On the other-hand, I find the svelte aesthetic of a number of the contemporary KEF floor standers to be very pleasing.

For those who say, aesthetics be damned, these are speakers... unless you listen in a man cave and don't care about aesthetics, I think a loudspeaker's aesthetics are very important. I can hide my amps in a closet. I have discovered that placing my exceptionally fantastic sounding and measuring but ugly speakers in the closet and closing the door doesn't work out so well.

ta240

Major Contributor

Not a fan.
They aren't as big as I thought, although I'm not sure how they get narrower with a grille....
Dimensions (W x H X D):
320 x 410 x 1070 mm (12.6” x 16.1” x 42.1”) without grille
210 x 425 x 1070 mm (12.6” x 16.1” x 42.1”) with grille

While they aren't elegant; I'd need to see them in regular surroundings to get a complete feel for the look.

Last edited:

al2002

I just hope the floor standers have wider HF dispersion than the two preceding models.
The Andrew Jones designed coaxial ELAC speakers sounded somewhat congested on large scale orchestral music because of their narrow directivity.

dogmamann

Not a fan.
Agree with you here. That odd shaped grills were last seen in the midi system speakers from 90s. This is not vintage and not modern.

dogmamann

I just hope the floor standers have wider HF dispersion than the two preceding models.
The Andrew Jones designed coaxial ELAC speakers sounded somewhat congested on large scale orchestral music because of their narrow directivity.
With the same mid tweeter assembly that is almost impossible

al2002

Are we sure the coax mid- tweeter is the same? Since it no longer needs to produce bass, the coax could be optimized differently. Having said that, the cone profile and geometry look very similar, so the directivity is, i agree, unlikely to be too different from the bookshelf speakers.

DMill

Forum Donor
Agree with you here. That odd shaped grills were last seen in the midi system speakers from 90s. This is not vintage and not modern.
Speaker design/aesthethics is very subjective. I suppose if we look at them as furniture we can make a call? They are retro cool in a way. IMHO. But I get you. If they measure good is my concern.

DMill

Forum Donor
I kinda liked them (including the grille). :)
Nice. To me, Jones comes off as a good guy and is a solid ambassador for hi fi. Of course, there are a lot of great speaker designs to choose from, including active. But I do applaud him for leveraging any celebrity status he may have and push MoFi into a place where they are in mix for speakers. Welcome to being compared with Revel, Genelec, KEF and many others. Fine effort IMO.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't know how they sound but looks are nice (but it would be nicer with hidden screws).
It kinda follows the trend these days.

Measurements will be decent obviously,Jones has proved himself lots of times (judging by Tad) .
Let's wait and see.

Top Bottom