• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Complete lack of direction caused it to go nowhere. They rectified the problems, smoothed out the bumps and implemented a somewhat polarizing plan going forward.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Complete lack of direction caused it to go nowhere. They rectified the problems, smoothed out the bumps and implemented a somewhat polarizing plan going forward.
Makes it easier to store.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kal's MoFi Source Point 8 review is up. Sounds like a winner!

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On paper I think I may like the 8‘s better. A bit smaller which is nice in my home. So much competition at 3k though. I really appreciated Kal‘s take on it and especially appreciated JA’s narrative if you read the full review. I think many tube amp guys/gals deserve context to the measurements. MoFi is a brand that will have a lot of appeal to analog lovers, so it seems like a real nice option for Andrew Jones fan boys or just people who enjoy what appears to be a really nice speaker.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
On paper I think I may like the 8‘s better. A bit smaller which is nice in my home. So much competition at 3k though.
For sure! At $3k I can get a bunch of excellent towers for that money.
Ones with a couple-3 real woofers and a solid bottom end. ;)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure! At $3k I can get a bunch of excellent towers for that money.
Ones with a couple-3 real woofers and a solid bottom end. ;)

I'm curious: do you have any towers in mind that you'd choose? And aside from the lower bass, would you expect just as good performance from your chosen tower?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm curious: do you have any towers in mind that you'd choose? And aside from the lower bass, would you expect just as good performance from your chosen tower?
Well if it has to hit the nail on the head at $3k I'd need to do some homework.
But my JBL 3600 towers were $4k for the pair, only slightly more.
And I chose them over the 1600s at $2k the pair.
It's more a personal decision on value for the money.

I just can't find myself warming up to any small stand mounts for that kind of dough.
If your in the market for a small coaxial stand mount, I've heard Dr Hsu's CCB-8 and found them most excellent.
They've gotten rave reviews almost everywhere, but of course they're only $800 a pair, so the high-end press can't like em.

Kef ls50's are only $1600 the pair and they're loved by almost all.
I don't mean to slam the MoFi's, I'm sure they're quite decent.
But to me it's just another audio press gushing over the latest & greatest fav.
Every few years it's someone/thing that the fan-boys find the greatest thing since sliced bread.
And then there's the situation with MoFi's big scandal.
The high end's got to find a way to save the leaders in their overpriced snake-oil marketing choice, vinyl. ;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Bass extension, IMD, distortion, directivity, FR...?
I mean, destroy is the right word:cool:

For YouTube click-bait, sure. Otherwise ...

I'd take the KEFs personally, in case that needs clarification. :)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For YouTube click-bait, sure. Otherwise ...

I'd take the KEFs personally, in case that needs clarification. :)
Well, for here '' better '' is the right word, if you are from EEUU and a big fan for vinyls and tubes, i guess not..

Otherwise if you are not from EEUU, you have the pay the taxes for buy the Mofi (the price increase like 30-35% + their stands)

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Well, for here '' better '' is the right word, if you are from EEUU and a big fan for vinyls and tubes, i guess not..

Otherwise if you are not from EEUU, you have the pay the taxes from the Mofi (the price increase + their stands)
Is EEUU extended EU?

Here we often pay strange prices depending on the whim of the importer (Audio Physic and Focal had big increases during pandemic for example). But our advertised/list prices always include the GST.

So KEF R7 Meta are ~AUD$8500 (at the last store I bought gear from). The don't list the AJ speakers. But elsewhere in Oz I can see the 10" for ~AUD$7500 (plus stands). I'd certainly listen to the MoFi and I expect they'd be interesting. Not my style though (or really designed for the music I like) so I'd still get the KEFs. All hypothetical of course, I'm not looking for speakers.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kal's MoFi Source Point 8 review is up. Sounds like a winner!

I'd like to hear these speakers. The 10's are just too big, IMO. When I saw them I was taken aback by the bulk of them. These are a tidier package, and on paper don't seem to give anything up in a bass-managed system. Kind of like how I've always preferred Tannoy 8"-12" Dual Concentrics to their 15" ones.

Also, the surrounds looks a lot like the ones on the TAD woofers in our Pioneer EX ceiling speakers (also an Andrew Jones design), so that's an irrational source of joy.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom