• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Recommendations for Wharfedale Linton 85th

asziszi

Hi,
First time poster.

I’m looking for a 2ch amplifier.
Here is what I’ve considered so far:

1. Hypex Nilai500DIY
( + measured performance )
≈1500 eur stereo / ≈2000 eur mono x2

2. Yamaha A-S1200
( + look & tone controls )
≈2800 eur

3. Rotel RB-1590
( + power )
≈2800 eur

Any suggestions?

set up: streaming service (Tidal) >> optical / usb in Topping E50 (dac mode) >> behringer MONITOR1 >> ?amp? >> Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary

I've already had a Purifi based amp in a second system and I am not looking for another one. Even it is a great amp.

Thanks,
Szilard

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,
First time poster.

1. Hypex Nilai500DIY

2. Yamaha A-S1200
≈2800 eur

3. Rotel RB-1590
( + power )
≈2800 eur

Any suggestions?

set up: streaming service (Tidal) >> optical / usb in Topping E50 (dac mode) >> behringer MONITOR1 >> ?amp? >> Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary

I've already had a Purifi based amp in a second system and I am not looking for another one. Even it is a great amp.

Thanks,
Szilard
Welcome,

The Hypex is gonna win on paper every time. Might even win in blind testing but I bet we are talking about almost no difference, even in a good room. But maybe. The Yamaha is a statement piece. You like the looks? You like VU meters? It’s pretty rock solid. Beautiful even. A great value… maybe not. But it damn sure is a big chunk of fun. Rotel to me is somewhere in the middle. I’ve owned a couple of their integrated amps. They are good at everything but nothing really sexy. Kinda good at everything but masters of nothing. Also, think they are pricing themselves about 20% too high to be an amp I’d consider now. You present 3 great choices and only you can answer the question. They all will do a really nice job IMO.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Probably my choice too. But said with many less words than my previous post. :) it’s a damn big fun hunk of audio.

He'll own the Yamaha for decades. It's a complete, sophisticated piece of HiFi from one of the best manufacturers in the business, not a DIY bashup in a cheap case that will always scream poverty.

I love Rotel too, but I'd take the Yamaha everytime. :)

Jaanedo Dost

Hi,
First time poster.

1. Hypex Nilai500DIY

2. Yamaha A-S1200
≈2800 eur

3. Rotel RB-1590
( + power )
≈2800 eur

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Szilard

I have these Lintons as well as my 2nd system with Topping E30II DAC. I used them with Hypex NC252 amplifier as well as an old Yamaha amplifier but bass wasn't to my liking. I tried the cheapo Fosi Audio BT20 Pro with Bass control + their 48V adapter and Muses02 op amps (that I bought from Fosi as well -> https://fosiaudioshop.com/products/op-amp-chip-muses02-opa2604ap-opa2134pa) that blew away my expectations. Bass control on Bt20A Pro brought out the best in these speakers. And the imaging that Muses02 op amps provide is extraordinary (I know a lot of people here would disagree with me on this). This setup has become my favorite now.

Miniyouuuu

I chose an Audiolab 9000 A for my Lintons after hearing many combinations.

Rotel 1572 seem to be plain and flat. Yamaha S1200 was a bit thin. Musical Fidelity MI5 was too warm. Cambridge Audio 150 didnt had the “musicality” of AB amps

Finally I was between Rega Elicit Mk5 and Audiolab 9000. The first was better allrounder, but I fell in love with the contundent kick and dry bass of Audiolab amp. And audiolab is IAG group amp, same group of Wharfedale. Is a natural match.

Leak 230 is another natural match (iag group), same wood, similar appealing, but very warm. Too warm. Audiolab 9000 is a better match if you can afford the prize difference.

D

Deleted member 48726

The Yamaha A-Sxxx line is bullet proof. Built to last and proven design. It's a modern classical piece of HiFi that will serve you for decades.

Miniyouuuu

Ok Yamaha products are bullet proof, but do they have a good sinergy with Lintons?

Did you made A/B auditions with other amps in the same place so that you can compare that sinergy with Lintons? I did, and yamaha sounded thin to my ears. I really prefered Rega and Audiolab or even Musical Fidelity connected to Lintons. The bass you get with all those amps is trully addictive. Trebble is more rounded in Rega and Musical Fidelity. And Yamaha was better for detail and high Frequencies, but.. do you buy Lintons for its high frequencies? To my ears no. Lintons are all about warm, bold and relaxing sound. Buy Bowers if you like high frequencies…

OP
A

asziszi

Ok Yamaha products are bullet proof, but do they have a good sinergy with Lintons?

Did you made A/B auditions with other amps in the same place so that you can compare that sinergy with Lintons? I did, and yamaha sounded thin to my ears. I really prefered Rega and Audiolab or even Musical Fidelity connected to Lintons. The bass you get with all those amps is trully addictive. Trebble is more rounded in Rega and Musical Fidelity. And Yamaha was better for detail and high Frequencies, but.. do you buy Lintons for its high frequencies? To my ears no. Lintons are all about warm, bold and relaxing sound. Buy Bowers if you like high frequencies…
no, i did not.
if a/b auditions with other amps could be on the table, probably i would not ask for suggestions.

i did pair the lintons with audiophonics purifi amp. it sounds great.

as i did with an audiofrog dsp pro ab amp. it sounds great too. the only complaint with frog are the vents _ which are a bit noticeable.
i sold it, and now i’m looking for another amp.

and yes, i’m looking for that warm, bold and relaxing sound…

Miniyouuuu

I didn’t hear Hypex Nilai but Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Hypex N core with Dentons. Electronic music played very accurate and filled the room even at low volume but tonality was clearly different to other class AB amps. Other type of music such as romantic vocals or rock played a bit plain and heartless.

OP
A

asziszi

I didn’t hear Hypex Nilai but Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Hypex N core with Dentons. Electronic music played very accurate and filled the room even at low volume but tonality was clearly different to other class AB amps. Other type of music such as romantic vocals or rock played a bit plain and heartless.
look, it’s not that i’m not open to other suggestions…
however, i've made my option-list based on: measured performance // big fun hunk of audio (@DMill) // power.

i’d very much like to have all those in one complete, sophisticated piece of HiFi (@restorer-john).
i did not find it (yet :)

@Matias made a very fine suggestion. however, i don’t think that would bring much more on the table in respect to purifi.
and, sorry, but i don’t need a sota amp with 700w at 1%.
yes, there are probably ≈ 300 - 400 w clean power. and that is plenty. but that’s half…

so,

if i can clearly hear the ‘zippo’ in Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Red Right Hand
/ or /
if i can clearly hear the ‘onomatopoeia’ in Part. I Keith Jarrett: The Koln Concert

it’s good enough for me.

D

Deleted member 48726

Synergy? -It just needs to amplify the signal without distorting and it does that very well.

What do you mean by "thin"? -The ones I've seen has ruler flat frequency response. Sounds like the unit you listened to is broken if it changes the sound.

Miniyouuuu

When pairing/matching speakers and amps there are facts and room feelings.
Facts: yamaha is a good brand with low distorsion graphs measured in acoustic laboratories.
Room Feelings: yamaha sounded thin to my ears in direct comparison to other brands. (Same place, same streamer, same speakers).

By “Thin” I mean a lack of low /mid frequencies, or too much treble/highs. Yamaha sound usually excels in the upper frequencies in comparison to other brands. I’m not a high frequencies guy. I don’t seek ultra high definition detail. And Lintons don’t.

Obviously you could have other room feelings acording to your personal likes. In this case I’m sure Yamaha could be your match.

D

Deleted member 48726

When pairing/matching speakers and amps there are facts and room feelings.
Facts: yamaha is a good brand with low distorsion graphs measured in acoustic laboratories.
Room Feelings: yamaha sounded thin to my ears in direct comparison to other brands. (Same place, same streamer, same speakers).

By “Thin” I mean a lack of low /mid frequencies, or too much treble/highs. Yamaha sound usually excels in the upper frequencies in comparison to other brands. I’m not a high frequencies guy. I don’t seek ultra high definition detail. And Lintons don’t.

Obviously you could have other room feelings acording to your personal likes. In this case I’m sure Yamaha could be your match.
Feelings? Feelings have no place when discussing scientifical facts. The difference you heard is your brain interpreting things that isn't real. Otherwise there is a case of faulty components or EQ you wasn't aware of.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Wharfedales are a complex enough load that not all amplifiers are going to optimally drive them:

it's not surprising to me that different results are obtained with different amplifiers. Testing into dummy loads is not the same.

Without measuring these specific combinations of amp and speaker we cannot say for certain what the outcome will be and therefore we cannot dismiss even uncontrolled comparisons with the 'all amps sound the same' hand wave.

I agree we should avoid 'synergy' and 'feelings' and other such bullshit words. What is happening electronically is what matters.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
As much as I like Yamahas they aren't best choice for Linton's which deep to 3.5 Ohms. Sanken A-B class Yamahas aren't great with low impedance loads and you should avoid those with lower (than 230) dumping factor. If you have money, and it's available where you are consider going with ATI Hypex line. If you are on the tight budget try to find Yamaha A-S700 (it's old amp only but sometimes can be found in old stocks as new).
Heve fun and enjoy.
Edit: anyway try to spare enough money for a good DSP solution (and as preamp) in any case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom