• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Recommendations for Wharfedale Linton 85th

OP
A

asziszi

need more power than the amp is capable of providing
so far this is my only restraint…

istening habits of OP in terms of nominal SPL, music taste and listening distance.
music taste: jazz and rock

listening distance: room 4m x 5m (x4m h). the front of the speakers are about 1.1m from the wall behind them. listening distance = 3m.

regarding SPL, i share a measurement recorded with NIOSH SLM

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.28.01.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.28.01.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 81
OP
A

asziszi

The Wharfedales are a complex enough load that not all amplifiers are going to optimally drive them:

it's not surprising to me that different results are obtained with different amplifiers. Testing into dummy loads is not the same.

Without measuring these specific combinations of amp and speaker we cannot say for certain what the outcome will be and therefore we cannot dismiss even uncontrolled comparisons with the 'all amps sound the same' hand wave.

I agree we should avoid 'synergy' and 'feelings' and other such bullshit words. What is happening electronically is what matters.
and here is erin’s measurement:

Wharfedale Linton 85 (Grille On) Impedance.png

( https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/ )

Attachments

• Wharfedale Linton 85 (Grille On) Impedance.png
    Wharfedale Linton 85 (Grille On) Impedance.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 52

tsfreo

I use a Hypex (NAD C 368) with my Linton.
Just out of curiosity have you compared how they go with your C368 vs other amps - because I have the same NAD amp (it is great) and Lintons and wondered as I listened using them whether more power would improve the performance, even at the same listening levels. I added an older Emotiva BASX300 power amp (150w in 8ohm) with the C368 performing preamp duties and that does sound better to me. All that has me tempted to replace the Emotiva with a NCore based power amp, prob LPA-S500NC from Audiophonics. So, might you have tried more powerful Hypex with your Lintons....?

D

Deleted member 48726

so far this is my only restraint…

music taste: jazz and rock

listening distance: room 4m x 5m (x4m h). the front of the speakers are about 1.1m from the wall behind them. listening distance = 3m.

regarding SPL, i share a measurement recorded with NIOSH SLM

Use 87 dB sensitivity used because your speakers are 90 dB but rated at 8 ohm. You amplifier should be able to provide a minimum of 100 W @ 4 ohm to safely reach your measured peak value.
Source-->http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

1 W-->

1692019460368.png

100 W-->

1692019505180.png

HoweSound

I have the DIY Hypex Nilai stereo. Every time I listen, I am impressed anew by the performance. But, I would buy the following improved Audiophonics version if I had a do-over:

I doubt there is any measurable or discernable performance difference between the two, but the aesthetics of the case, minor added features and the quality of the execution are desirable additions.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one,120 w/ch, very good specs, streaming, Dirac DSP, subwoofer app, remote and good connectivity in one small box.

"Although lacking analog inputs, Chromecast Built-in, Apple AirPlay, and a headphone output, the SHD Power includes features not normally found in a budget integrated amplifier-DAC: Roon Ready network streaming capability, parametric equalization, Dirac Live room correction, and adjustable high-pass/low-pass crossover filters. The SHD Power also runs the open-source Volumio music player, which is accessed through a web-based interface and supports Tidal, Qobuz, HighResAudio, Spotify (via a plugin), and internet radio. Considering its reasonable price, the SHD Power is remarkably fully featured."

CapMan

Major Contributor
By “Thin” I mean a lack of low /mid frequencies, or too much treble/highs. Yamaha sound usually excels in the upper frequencies in comparison to other brands. I’m not a high frequencies guy. I don’t seek ultra high definition detail. And Lintons don’t.
I’d be amazed if any competently made SS amplifier could exhibit what you describe here. Could it be your room or something else ?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also Nilai500DIY, DIY, is totally not worth it in my personal experience, unless you take pleasure assembling it. Just get a Nord, better value and better case, better features, better everything.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yamaha sounded thin to my ears in direct comparison to other brands. (Same place, same streamer, same speakers).
But probably not same volume (see my signature)

Jim Creek

The Yamaha is a gorgeous piece of gear, especially in silver. I love the VU meters! Personally, I think 90 watts/ch @ 8ohms seems a bit unimpressive for $3000 though.

D

Deleted member 48726

The Yamaha is a gorgeous piece of gear, especially in silver. I love the VU meters! Personally, I think 90 watts/ch @ 8ohms seems a bit unimpressive for $3000 though.
Yeah, the whole A-Sxxx line is overbuilt and overpriced. For 90 W @ 8 ohm.

But it IS a bullet proof quality design and used they hold great value.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well they are conservative in their power rating, it's more like close to 140 W @8 Ohms and 90 W in the worst case with impedance switch set to 4 Ohms (with limited V). If you want value with same performance and output power with just a little worser separation (crosstalk) in highs you should try to find A-S700 for about 500$ new or even half that used (and still looking very deacent).

Christoph-ASR

Just out of curiosity have you compared how they go with your C368 vs other amps - because I have the same NAD amp (it is great) and Lintons and wondered as I listened using them whether more power would improve the performance, even at the same listening levels. I added an older Emotiva BASX300 power amp (150w in 8ohm) with the C368 performing preamp duties and that does sound better to me. All that has me tempted to replace the Emotiva with a NCore based power amp, prob LPA-S500NC from Audiophonics. So, might you have tried more powerful Hypex with your Lintons....?
Hello tsfredo,
I have compared the NAD C 368 with an Unison Simply Italy tube amp, and an 30 year old Sony amp (Sony TA-F245R anything) using the Lintons.

Unison Simply Italy --> It is a little little bit warmer, almost inaudible, but the NAD his Hypex is more musical.
Old Sony --> I could really hear any difference (sadly I couldn't hear any difference :)

I had previous a NAD C 338 with the sampe Hypex module, and it sounds the same. I took the NAD, also for the sake of the environment, and because i am an electical engineer and have problems with tube amps (100 W power consumption), and i couldn't hear an improvements.

tsfreo

I have compared the NAD C 368 with an Unison Simply Italy tube amp, and an 30 year old Sony amp (Sony TA-F245R anything) using the Lintons.

Unison Simply Italy --> It is a little little bit warmer, almost inaudible, but the NAD his Hypex is more musical.
Thanks. That is interesting. I also think the NAD implementation of the Hypex UcD is good. I'm going to add a NCore power amp (using the NAD as a preamp for now) as I think the extra power will be handy for my use case. Cheers

dweeeeb2

I got the marantz model 30 for my Lintons. Back to back (not blind) tested with the yamaha as well. To me the marantz sounded better. Definitely worth trying a listen to.

Christoph-ASR

Thanks. That is interesting. I also think the NAD implementation of the Hypex UcD is good. I'm going to add a NCore power amp (using the NAD as a preamp for now) as I think the extra power will be handy for my use case. Cheers

If you are interested in a scientific paper's collection (public available papers) about Hypex/Class-D/Bruno-Putzley, then you can write me a personal message with your email adress.

--
Chris

MrOtto

How about this one:

nygafre

How about this one:

I’m trying to resist that excact amp every day.. feels like I’m about to cave in soon. So thank’s/not thanks for the reminder :D

Syncope

I use a Hypex (NAD C 368) with my Linton.
Do you have any comments on how they perform together? I am thinking on pairing c3050 with the Lintons (mostly due to the looks), I just haven't decided if this is a terrible idea performance-wise.

tsfreo

Do you have any comments on how they perform together? I am thinking on pairing c3050 with the Lintons (mostly due to the looks), I just haven't decided if this is a terrible idea performance-wise.
I can chip in after having run a C368 with Lintons for many months. They play nicely together. In a medium sized space the NAD offers capable power for the Lintons and can happily handle lower ohm dips. I know a few people that have the retro look C3050 with Lintons and are very happy - I note that the C3050 has a bit more power than the C368, although whether really noticeable in real world use I don't know; but its there.
I have since upgraded to a Gustard P26 preamp with a Hypex based Audiophonics LPA-S500NC power amp - which is more power again. That setup sounds better but it is the preamp for me which makes all the difference. I had the C368 just running as a pre for the Audiophonics and it did a good job, but the dedicated pre in the form of the Gustard sounded much better to my ears.
In short I expect you'll be very happy with the NAD driving the Lintons.

Top Bottom