• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Output Impedance (Damping Factor) and Speakers

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The advantage of these T+A amps is that only the output impedance can be changed and nothing else. I can't imagine a better UUT for this topic.
Variable output impedance was a "thing" a long, long time ago in hifi, for those who weren't aware of it.
1701436501218.png

source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1959_allied_radio_catalog.html
UL listed, too! ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pye amongst others made amplifiers with adjustable positive feedback that could reduce the output impedance to zero, or even negative if one wasn't careful.

I incorporated those ideas into a 100 wpc amplifier I designed in the 1970s and it worked fine, best set to a small value (like 0.1 ohms) positive. Still not as low as SS amps, but a lot better than the amp without it.

S.

egellings

Major Contributor
So if I read an amp manufacturer says they increased DF from 240 to 320 between version 1 and version 2 of an amp, does that really matter?
Nope, unless other more important audibly noticeable characteristics got improved as a byproduct.

Top Bottom