• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier power ratings 10% THD

• Thread starter Deleted member 69358
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69358

Why are amplifiers rated at things like:

1-Channel Driven:
230 W at 6 Ohms / 1 kHz / 10% THD
2-Channel Driven:
120 W at 8 Ohms / 20 Hz to 20 kHz / 0.08% THD

My speakers are 6ohm, does that mean I am getting 10% THD vs 0.08% THD on 8 ohm speakers.

I do not hear distortion and just always though it was a marketing gimmick.

jdpurvis

The answer to your question is no. It is unlikely that you are driving your speakers at anything close to 230 watts - and if you were, there is a good chance you would hear 10% distortion. It is also unlikely that you are driving both channels to 120w - this could be measured. Your amplifier probably isn't bothered by 6 ohms vs 8 ohms. The rating listed for 2 channels is likely to hold for lower power as well - the 2 channel rating suggests this is a good amplifier.

I see no reason for ratings at 10% distortion - it may provide an indicator of reserve power for peaks, but is not particularly useful.

unpluggged

1-Channel Driven:
230 W at 6 Ohms / 1 kHz / 10% THD
2-Channel Driven:
120 W at 8 Ohms / 20 Hz to 20 kHz / 0.08% THD
1st spec looks more impressive for marketing. 2nd is required by consumer protection laws.

Top Bottom