• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Second hand amp or all in one, recommendatons...

tonapo

Hi there - One of my children is showing an interest in hifi and I am keen to encourage it. They will need the ability to play CDs in their room. An old CD player I have, along with some smaller speakers currently in my loft, but I don't have an amplifier. Is there any suggestions for a second hand amp, ideally quite cheaper under £100? I could also go for an all in one, as this would mean the system would have a smaller footprint. In addition, it might be good to have the ability to stream to the system from the phone, but I was thinking something like a seperate module or even the cheapeast Wiim.

Any thoughts or suggestion gratefully received.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Consider whether or not you want to buy a used amplifier with remote control.Or rather, your child should think about that.

Stream with Spotify. Then you use a device (laptop, mobile, tablet) that you plug into the amplifier. Then you switch songs with the other device. Will be a streaming solution then, which does not cost more than the subscription to Spotify.:)
A cheap, good USB C DAC dongle can make sense to plug in between, for example, the mobile phone (if it is used as a streaming device) and the amplifier.

Out of curiosity, what kind of small speakers do you have in your loft that you thought your child would use? Are the speakers in good condition?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Rotel are all safe bets.
It depends how old you want to go as regards 'used.' I fondly remember some of the technics integrated amps from the late 90's with curvy front panels - so many model changes sadly, but the SU-A707 and SU-V500M2 from the early noughties and their immediate 'curvy' predecessors were very good in the dem room with solid build and nice feel. Yamaha had a slightly? more stable lineup and the current sub £1000 models seem to be directly descended from models such as the AX 396 and AX 596 which I'm sure I've seen to under £100 used.. The Denon PMA 350 was also a good cheap choice new and plenty were sold in the UK (more power than the 250 baby model)

I have to say from a retired dealer's point of view that looking at Mart and my lists above, Rotel does float to the surface as a good 'audiophile' kind of range which didn't change every six to nine months and which has stable good performance and longevity. Even an 850 original amp from forty years back should be quite acceptable in a started system...

The longer the list, the more confusion sets in so I apologise if that's the case. Note that I'm avoiding old UK classics from NAD, A&R and Creek as they can be more trouble than they're worth after all this time and can sound 'nicely coloured' to boot!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends how old you want to go as regards 'used.' I fondly remember some of the technics integrated amps from the late 90's with curvy front panels - so many model changes sadly, but the SU-A707 and SU-V500M2 from the early noughties and their immediate 'curvy' predecessors were very good in the dem room with solid build and nice feel. Yamaha had a slightly? more stable lineup and the current sub £1000 models seem to be directly descended from models such as the AX 396 and AX 596 which I'm sure I've seen to under £100 used.. The Denon PMA 350 was also a good cheap choice new and plenty were sold in the UK (more power than the 250 baby model)

I have to say from a retired dealer's point of view that looking at Mart and my lists above, Rotel does float to the surface as a good 'audiophile' kind of range which didn't change every six to nine months and which has stable good performance and longevity. Even an 850 original amp from forty years back should be quite acceptable in a started system...

The longer the list, the more confusion sets in so I apologise if that's the case. Note that I'm avoiding old UK classics from NAD, A&R and Creek as they can be more trouble than they're worth after all this time and can sound 'nicely coloured' to boot!
Denon also an option, I forgot about them. Didn't mention Technics as you don't tend to see them up for under £100 which is the specified budget.

Left out NAD and the UK stuff as, like you say, reliability. Although the one NAD amp I have here is still fine after 20 years.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Used AVRs that are not that old can be had for little money.

OP can check on a site that sells used amplifiers and tell us what is within the budget and we can comment. That would be fun.:)

Last edited:
OP
T

tonapo

Thanks for the comments all.

Out of curiosity, what kind of small speakers do you have in your loft that you thought your child would use? Are the speakers in good condition?
Monitor Audio Bronze 2, they are about 4 years old I think.

OP can check on a site that sells used amplifiers and tell us what is within the budget and we can comment. That would be fun.
I can add a few

• Denon PMA-520AE - £110 ono, I might be able to get it down a bit.
  • Denon Integrated Amplifier PMA-350 - £60 starting bid
  • Denon Integrated Amplifier PMA-350SE - £20 staring bid
  • Rotel Stereo Integrated Amplifier RA-930AX - £80 starting bid
  • Rotel integrated amplifier RA-930AX MKII - £65 starting bid
  • Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Amplifier AX-596 - £65 starting bid
  • NAD C320BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier - £99 starting bid.
It depends how old you want to go as regards 'used.'
I was sort if thining 2000 - 2010 era, based on no special evidence though.

Didn't mention Technics as you don't tend to see them up for under £100 which is the specified budget.
One of the CD players in the loft is an old tecnics player from the 90's!

Stream with Spotify. Then you use a device (laptop, mobile, tablet) that you plug into the amplifier.
We have a sub to Qobuz, which is usually accessed via phone.

If I wanted a better DAC etc, I was thinking of looking at one of the WiiMs but that is a bit further down the line.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be happy with any of those at under £100. Actually have a C320BEE right now, although not in use. Think I paid £105 for it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks for the comments all.

I can add a few

I was sort if thining 2000 - 2010 era, based on no special evidence though.

One of the CD players in the loft is an old tecnics player from the 90's!

We have a sub to Qobuz, which is usually accessed via phone.

If I wanted a better DAC etc, I was thinking of looking at one of the WiiMs but that is a bit further down the line.
Look there were good amplifiers before 20 years and same today so ideally open up the wallet little more and search for such little used and not older than cuple of years. Try to find such Yamaha A-S or R-S 700 and it will serve the kid even when it's your age. If you don't want used stuff plenty of cheap and deacent class D one's with external power brick and if possible domestic good one (48V 5~7. 5A) it will serve you good and long enough (at least 10 years and with only one transformer if you go for a good quality one as already stated).
ASR index is your friend regarding such Class D one's and you should go with whats better availabile and with a better price where you are.

DanielT

Major Contributor
My parents have the smaller model, Rotel RA-920AX. It works well with 89dB sensitive speakers. They never play very loud, but I've tried turning up the volume, whereupon my father started howling that it sounded too loud. Anyway, playing at high volume was fine (minus his howling). Only downside, a popping sound in the speakers when it is turned on.
You have, if the specs are correct, Monitor Audio Bronze 2. 90dB sensitive speakers, so I say like Mart68, as long as they don't run off in price they all seem reasonable.:)

I have the C320BEE in its receiver version NAD C 720BEE. I actually use it sometimes. 67 nice watts.:)

The C320BEE was sold with a remote control. Check if it is included in the purchase. If you are curious, you can read a test on it here:

Okay 20 year old amps, played and worn over the years. They should last, but on the other hand, no guarantees on that, so of course it's still a bit of a gamble compared to buying new.

Edit:
The Rotel RA-930AX is over 30 years old.

Last edited:

Madeintooting

You seem to be in the UK, some bargains here-
All in ones too.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Little over budget but all in one, new tech, small box, remote, great specs and review

DanielT

Major Contributor
You seem to be in the UK, some bargains here-
Good price, but I don't get it. That model was discontinued about ten years ago, but is it unused/new? It looks like that. Is it from some leftover stock?
If it is unused/"new", there is nothing to doubt at that price, just buy. ;):)

Madeintooting

Good price, but I don't get it. That model was discontinued about ten years ago, but is it unused/new? It looks like that. Is it from some leftover stock?
If it is unused/"new", there is nothing to doubt at that price, just buy. ;):)
Think they specialize in manufacturer returns, refurbs, etc, but mostly with full guarantees. Some graded stock.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Think they specialize in manufacturer returns, refurbs, etc, but mostly with full guarantees. Some graded stock.
It was an exciting solution to sell expired HiFi products and why not, similar stores exist for other goods. It may be shoes, china or whatever. What is the name in English of the type of store that sells such products?

As long as they are serious (which I suspect they are) plus tell the story around the product then certainly a very good solution to getting an amp.:)

Edit:
Now I came up with what I was thinking about but didn't come up with the name, this::)

Last edited:
OP
T

tonapo

Thanks for all the suggestion.

I have just been searching through the index, how about Fosi Audio V3? Seems to be around £100. I also like the Loxjie A30 Amplifier at £150, recommended by @Timcognito, this adds more streaming functionality and a remote. I even had a look at the Wiim amp at £300. So many choices!

I also had a look at hyperfi but I could see any way to buy, except by ringing them, which I may do later.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestion.

I have just been searching through the index, how about Fosi Audio V3? Seems to be around £100. I also like the Loxjie A30 Amplifier at £150, recommended by @Timcognito, this adds more streaming functionality and a remote. I even had a look at the Wiim amp at £300. So many choices!

I also had a look at hyperfi but I could see any way to buy, except by ringing them, which I may do later.
Well why not. Just keep in mind that the Fosi Audio V3 colors the sound with its non-linear amplification.

Loxjie A30, amp power 18 watts at 8 Ohm. You have 8 Ohm speakers. Okay, you have 90 dB sensitive speakers, if the spec from the manufacturer is to be believed, so they certainly help considering the few watts the amplifier has.:)

Top Bottom