• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMP/DAC Combo Recommendation for HD6XX

eXodus

Looking for recommendations on an AMP/DAC combo for my HD6XX. Looking for something with XLR balanced..

I'm looking at the Monolith THX 788 and the Monolith THX 887 and heard about the THX 789.

Not sure what to get, it seems the 788 has XLR IS NOT balanced? Looks like the 788 XLR IS balanced?

Open to similar suggestions on amp/dac combo. This is my first AMP/DAC purchase.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
E

eXodus

I suspect it will be more $ than the THX ones.
I'll probably go with the THX 788 as I'm guessing the Topping one will be in the $700 area. Thanks gvl and twsecrest!

gvl

Major Contributor
I'll probably go with the THX 788 as I'm guessing the Topping one will be in the $700 area. Thanks gvl and twsecrest!

Maybe less with discounts, etc. My hunch is 500-600, but who knows.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
I've never used a tube amp and don't know how one would measure but i see the Bottlehead Crack recommended often for the HD-600/650/6XX.

OP
E

eXodus

I've never used a tube amp and don't know how one would measure but i see the Bottlehead Crack recommended often for the HD-600/650/6XX.

Looking for an amp/dac combo, that seems to just be an AMP and one that's $500 alone :(

Mocs123

Forum Donor
I thought the kit was more like $350 but I know there is some DIY involved. There are multiple $100 DACs that test well. You might could even build a Khadas Tone Board into the unit.

It’s just a thought anyways.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Looking for an amp/dac combo, that seems to just be an AMP and one that's $500 alone

It's a fun build if you're looking to get into DIY electronics or if you already know you want a more colored OTL tube sound. Otherwise I'd give it a pass.

Top Bottom