• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for DAC/AMP recommendations

Aavitero

Hello guys,

I am looking to upgrade my DAC and AMP for desktop use, currently using JDS Atom+ stack which works flawlessly, but I also have some IEMs, so I need something with 4.4mm too. Wanted to see Your recommendations based on experience too.

I have LCD-X, which is easy to drive, but I need something to accommodate for Symphonium Crimson. I was interested in some 4.4mm balanced + maybe XLR connections or just 4.4mm balanced + getting new cable for LCD-X, whichever is more cost efficient.
While theoretically balanced and single ended should not affect quality only volume, I have tried friend's A&K DAP with 7Hz timeless, and clarity difference was noticable between 3.5 and 4.4bal.

Preferably not coloured sound, good QC and good value. Combo/stack does not matter - desk space is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

OP
A

Aavitero

Copied, so something like new JDS Atom 2 stack with 6.35 and 4.4 should be stellar or is topping a better recommendation on regular basis? Have heard Schiit slightly colouring the sound to warmer, no personal exp, just hearsay

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Some reasons to 'upgrade' your Atom+ stack include things like...

I want...

....a nicer metal case
...an integrated PSU
...a single box/less wires
...a nice display
...more connectivity (like Bluetooth)
...independent HP and pre-amp volume control
...different sized holes to plug things in so I don't have to use adapters

I have tried friend's A&K DAP with 7Hz timeless, and clarity difference was noticable between 3.5 and 4.4bal.

There are lots of reasons why you should not put any weight on your subjective impressions. A good place to start would be Amir's video explaining blind testing...

OP
A

Aavitero

Thank You guys for info, had to educate myself quite a bit for a while.

But in the end measurements are not everything! Looking for advice also that product lasts. I have set my mind to upgrade to get more ports and to give this amp to somebody that needs one anyway.

Preferably looking for integrated PSU, since Atom adapters are limiting maximum devices I can even use, and different sized ports. 6.35 + 4.4 or XLR.
In my country demo studios do not exist, so testing equipment sadly is a no go. I was looking into A/D30 pro stack, but found that D30pro is discontinued and A30pro with some IEMs and even planars like LCD-x (20 ohm) has made noise for people.

Wanted to know maybe is there some recommendation also inspired by previous experience with reliability.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom