• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need help with a DAC/AMP combo

Schmar

Hey,

I am currently looking to buy a DAC/AMP combo for my desktop setup. I plan on using them with two bookshelf speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 11.2/12.2 depending on which are cheaper or Elac Debut 2.0 (not 100% certain on which i'll get)) but I also want to be able to connect my headphones to the DAC/AMP combo.

My Budged is around 400-600 Euro for both DAC/AMP & Speaker

I am probably going to buy the AIYIMA A07PRO as my speaker AMP.
As for the DAC I've been looking at the S.M.S.L SU-1, Topping DX3 Pro+ and AIYIMA DAC A5 Pro Mini, former of which does not meet the requirement for headphones, but has a compelling price& good reviews/tests.

I could not find any review or tests for the AIYIMA and the Topping is kind of expensive.

Does anybody have a recommendation?
Does this setup even make sense at this price range or should I just get a pair of active speakers? Any recommendation on this front?

Greetings,
Schmar

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me, I think I would go for a pair of JBL LSR306 studio monitors (self powered)
And the Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC/amp.

OP
S

Schmar

Me, I think I would go for a pair of JBL LSR306 studio monitors (self powered)
And the Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC/amp.
This looks like a nice combo, thanks.
Is the lack of a balanced output on the DX3 not going to be problem for the LSR306?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This looks like a nice combo, thanks.
Is the lack of a balanced output on the DX3 not going to be problem for the LSR306?
The JBL LSR306's have both balanced and un-balanced input.
Connect to the 306 using a 1/4" TS plug.

OP
S

Schmar

Ok, I've bought the JBL LSR306 and combo'ed them with SMSL C200 because of their balanced TRS output and I am not happy with those speaker.

Their sound quality is good but that constant hiss, even at a vol of 2.5 on the speakers themselves and at a distance of 80cm its way to distracting when listening at a normal volume. I also dont want to turn them way up to not hear that hiss anymore. On top of that they seem to start distorting sooner than my Diamond 11.2.

All in all im kind of disappointed. I will also drop the Headphone AMP requirement as I did not notice any difference (my headphones dont require an AMP to work).

I guess its back to SMSL SU-1 + AIYIMA A07 PRO + passives speaker for around 400 Euro/pair.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe replace the JBLs by Kali Audio IN-5 if budget allows. They should hiss much less than the JBLs.

OP
S

Schmar

Maybe replace the JBLs by Kali Audio IN-5 if budget allows. They should hiss much less than the JBLs.
They cost 75% more than the JBL speaker. That exceeds my budged a bit too much. But thank you for the reccomendation, they do look like good speaker

OP
S

Schmar

Gave active speaker a last try with the Kali Audio LP-6 2nd Wave and I am happy :)
At 0 dB gain on the speaker the hiss is almost unnoticeable from 80cm away.
They sound a tiny bit worse than the JBL (slightly weaker bass and the soundstage is not as impressive, but still very good) but in my opinion its more than worth it for the immense difference in hiss.

Now I just need to find a good DAC that has a subwoofer out (there has to be one, right?). I am thinking of getting one once I have some more money.

Top Bottom