• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand all this negativity/criticism. If listeners enjoy and are moved by music created by overpriced components, that's up to them. That's great! It doesn't hurt anybody else.
Anybody else? What about the people that bought the stuff? Not all people that are persuaded into buying this nonsense can actually afford it, or it means other essential things don’t get bought.

The problem is not people spending money on it. The problem is how these people were swindled to part with that money.

There are plenty of members here that would have been glad that someone stood up against the nonsense and stopped them from spending countless of useless money on this stuff.

Todd k

Forum Donor
I don't understand all this negativity/criticism. If listeners enjoy and are moved by music created by overpriced components, that's up to them. That's great! It doesn't hurt anybody else. This hobby is all about enjoying music.
Yes I want everyone to enjoy their music. I know how much I enjoy mine. ASR has shown me thru very well reasoned information where to spend my hard earned money. That stuff is gorgeous but no thank you. Spaceship turntables are cool looking though. Most of the speakers look awesome ( I’m happy with my salon 2) Not trying to be negative toward music enjoyment.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1990s: A million dollar house needed a twenty thousand dollar audio system to match.
2023: You cannot even fit a pair of some of those speakers in a million dollar house.:facepalm:
...stop them...
Please don't: If an Amazon truck dropped off a pair of those Focal Sopra's at my front door, I'd figure a way to integrate them in!
You'd do the same!:)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand all this negativity/criticism. If listeners enjoy and are moved by music created by overpriced components, that's up to them. That's great! It doesn't hurt anybody else. This hobby is all about enjoying music.
(I think this discusssion has been had before!)

MKR

Major Contributor
This is exactly the issue… fully agree it is about the music (and movies :)), but that train left the station long ago with this hobby … for many, it is in fact not about the music, rather it is about the gear (audio jewelry). Having heard many mega buck systems these past months, 90% of them sound horrendous. It is clearly not about the music.

MKR

Major Contributor
Is it bad that I was unimpressed with all the super expensive systems? I sat in that Just audio room for half an hour.
Nope, I consider this a virtue, and mirrors my own experience

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With exception of the Revel speakers, I don't think there was anything else at the show I would ever consider buying. I don't think I would take any of it for free.
Why not take it for free and sell it?

rubinken

With exception of the Revel speakers, I don't think there was anything else at the show I would ever consider buying. I don't think I would take any of it for free.
Wondering if you listened to the Dutch & Dutch 8c's there? If so, why would you not consider buying them?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please spare us. Not everyone around here buys into this nonsense.
I think he was talking about greenbacks ... not ESG; as it applies to audio!
No, audiophile would do that!:eek:
------------
What I heard of the OceanWayAudio SausalitoMkII at the 2023 OrangeCounty T.H.E. Show impressed me but I was NOT going to contact my accountant!

Kevinfc

Crazy expensive stuff. Mostly for people with too much money who like to look at more than listen. The speakers have the most utility per dollar spent…but still.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We need ASR t-shirts with some pithy poke the bear phrase on them that we can wear to these shows. Maybe something like, “just say no to snake oil” ;)

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I only saw a few of the photos. I have a cable lift blocker in my browser.

Whenever I see photos of a system with cable lifts I immediately assume that the person who put the system together is seriously misguided or is a retailer trying to sell cable lifts.

Years ago, speakers were the item with the highest profit margin for the retailer. Now for years it is cables- but I think cable lifts will soon take 1st place.

I suppose that the exhibitors at the show - the ones with the cable lifts and 6-inch diameter cables - went into the hotel's infrastructure and rewired all the AC lines and placed cable lifts in the power distribution system as needed.

The cable lift distributors are secure in the knowledge that ASR will never be able to test them and publish a review....

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wondering if you listened to the Dutch & Dutch 8c's there? If so, why would you not consider buying them?
I wasn't at the show, I was commenting on the posts from Amir's report.

I have considered the D&D 8Cs.

Top Bottom