• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Southwest Audio Fest announced -- Dallas, TX -- March 15-17, 2024--Exhibitor list now up

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Make a trip north to The Colony, Nebraska Furniture Mart and check out some Revels. ;)
Thanks, I've heard lots of Revels over the years. I'm really glad that Nebraska Furniture Mart actually has Revel and other speakers that you can listen to in the store.

cpachris

I covet this entire room. Estelon Forza's paired with lots of good stuff from MSB and Synergistic Research. Sounded amazing.

1000009381.jpg

1000009384.jpg

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I've heard lots of Revels over the years. I'm really glad that Nebraska Furniture Mart actually has Revel and other speakers that you can listen to in the store.
Were you the one with the Legacy or I’m thinking of someone else? See you have Sf now.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Probably extended it. So much good stuff to consider.
There will be SO much more gear at AXPONA in April if you can make it.

At your price range, I would definitely want to hear the new Dali Epikore.

Last edited:
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Were you the one with the Legacy or I’m thinking of someone else? See you have Sf now.
I had a set of Legacy Audio Signature II's for about 20 years and, yes, I finally decided I wanted a newer speaker design and got a great price on the SF Lumina V's. I had heard them at a dealer and picked them up. But I've now moved my set of Dynaudio Excite X-44's into the family room and the SF's to the bedroom. At first, I was not impressed with the X-44's in the family room, but they are growing on me. I don't think the tweeters used in the Excite series are among Dynaudio's best.

cpachris

There will be SO much more gear at AXPONA in April if you can make it.

At your price range, I would definitely want to hear the new Dali Epikore.

Back home....enjoyed my 2 days at the event. Appreciate you bringing it to my attention. That Dali is a pretty speaker. Chicago may be in my future.....

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I only spent one day at the show, not even a full day, so I didn't get to every room. And I'm a speaker manufacturer and a dealer so discount my comments accordingly.

The only speaker line I'm commercially affiliated with that was on display was SoundLab, exhibited by their Japanese importer. Unfortunately when they registered for the show they had to take the last room available, and it was exceptionally small with an even smaller usable space. So they were unable to position the SoundLabs far enough out from the front wall. Having done a lot of experimenting with positioning SoundLabs in the course of answering questions from customers over the years, I recognized what I was hearing as "too much early reflections".

Two rooms that stood out to me were the big Estelon room and the Audio Thesis room with the Rosso Fiorentino "Volterra" speakers. After the show I told my wife I would rank those two rooms "one and two respectively" and she said "so would I".

The Estelon Forzas in their big room pretty much did everything right... natural timbre, relaxing, solid impact, and "you are there" on every recording. I had never heard them before and was apprehensve based on the lower treble emphasis apparent in Stereophile's in-room curves. I'm very sensitive to that and so is my wife; more than once she gave me the quick tap and bolted for the door when a speaker got a bit harsh or shrill on a particular note. But I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER than to trust ungated "in-room response" curves, including Stereophile's! The Estelons actually SOUNDED like their gated on-axis curve and accompanying set of off-axis curves predict.

The Rosso Fiorentio room was one of the small rooms, yet the system managed to convey a very enjoyable "you are there" experience on each recording, which ime is very rare in a small hotel room. In addition the system did not do anything to distract from the sound quality or the spatial quality. Unfailingly natural timbre atop solid bass. We stayed in the room for four or five songs, longer than any other small room, and frankly I kept expecting the next recording to reveal something amiss. That never happened.

The Bella Sound room was using Analysis Audio planar ribbon speakers, and I thought they sounded great (natural timbre, "you are there" [yes that matters a lot to me!], no distractions). But... imo they could have used some subwoofage. And, it was that lack of low-end extension and impact that kept them off my wife's top-few list; she likes very solid bass.

So my wife's third-favorite speakers were fairly-deep-cabinet 6.5" two-way stand-mounts that were played in the Infigo electronics room after the show had closed. I'm friends with the people at Infigo so that's why I was hanging out in their room after hours. My understanding is that this speaker was made in Australia, and I think the owner (who will be manufacturing them, if I heard correctly) wanted to see how they worked with Infigo amps (250 watts, sliding-bias Class A) as part of his due diligence towards becoming an Infigo dealer.

Here's what was so unusual about these speakers, and why the amplification would play a critical role: Their efficiency was only about 78 dB! So they required roughly ten times the amplifier power of typical speakers. But by trading off efficiency (bigtime), what they got in return was arguably jaw-dropping bass response. I think every single person in the room (aside from the person who connected them to the amps and the owner), including me, asked whether there were subwoofers engaged. Nope. Nor were the Aussie speakers one-trick ponies; they sounded balanced and neutral... it's just that they also went deep enough loud enough to induce cognitive dissonance: This was in a ballroom of somewhere around 50,000 cubic feet.

Personally I preferred the Sondheim speakers that had been playing in the Infigo room throughout the show (it was between them and Analysis Audio), but I admit those little Aussie speakers were amazing. I have to guess that speakers and amps were probably being pushed close to their limits, but the system never sounded strained, and none of us heard any clipping. This in a room roughly twenty times the size of a typical home audio room.

Last edited:
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I only spent one day at the show, not even a full day, so I didn't get to every room. And I'm a speaker manufacturer and a dealer so discount my comments accordingly.

The only speaker line I'm commercially affiliated with that was on display was SoundLab, exhibited by their Japanese importer. Unfortunately when they registered for the show they had to take the last room available, and it was exceptionally small with an even smaller usable space. So they were unable to position the SoundLabs far enough out from the front wall. Having done a lot of experimenting with positioning SoundLabs in the course of answering questions from customers over the years, I recognized what I was hearing as "too much early reflections".

Two rooms that stood out to me were the big Estelon room and the Thesis Audio room with the Rosso Fiorentino "Volterra" speakers. After the show I told my wife I would rank those two rooms "one and two respectively" and she said "so would I".

The Estelon Forzas in their big room pretty much did everything right... natural timbre, relaxing, solid impact, and "you are there" on every recording. I had never heard them before and was apprehensve based on the lower treble emphasis apparent in Stereophile's in-room curves. I'm very sensitive to that and so is my wife; more than once she gave me the quick tap and bolted for the door when a speaker got a bit harsh or shrill on a particular note. But I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER than to trust ungated "in-room response" curves, including Stereophile's! The Estelons actually SOUNDED like their gated on-axis curve and accompanying set of off-axis curves predict.

The Rosso Fiorentio room was one of the small rooms, yet the system managed to convey a very enjoyable "you are there" experience on each recording, which ime is very rare in a small hotel room. In addition the system did not do anything to distract from the sound quality or the spatial quality. Unfailingly natural timbre atop solid bass. We stayed in the room for four or five songs, longer than any other small room, and frankly I kept expecting the next recording to reveal something amiss. That never happened.

The Bella Sound room was using Analysis Audio planar ribbon speakers, and I thought they sounded great (natural timbre, "you are there" [yes that matters a lot to me!], no distractions). But... imo they could have used some subwoofage. And, it was that lack of low-end extension and impact that kept them off my wife's top-few list; she likes very solid bass.

So my wife's third-favorite speakers were fairly-deep-cabinet 6.5" two-way stand-mounts that were played in the Infigo electronics room after the show had closed. I'm friends with the people at Infigo so that's why I was hanging out in their room after hours. My understanding is that this speaker was made in Australia, and I think the owner (who will be manufacturing them, if I heard correctly) wanted to see how they worked with Infigo amps (250 watts, sliding-bias Class A) as part of his due diligence towards becoming an Infigo dealer.

Here's what was so unusual about these speakers, and why the amplification would play a critical role: Their efficiency was only about 78 dB! So they required roughly ten times the amplifier power of typical speakers. But by trading off efficiency (bigtime), what they got in return was arguably jaw-dropping bass response. I think every single person in the room (aside from the person who connected them to the amps and the owner), including me, asked whether there were subwoofers engaged. Nope. Nor were the Aussie speakers one-trick ponies; they sounded balanced and neutral... it's just that they also went deep enough loud enough to induce cognitive dissonance: This was in a ballroom of somewhere around 50,000 cubic feet.

Personally I preferred the Sondheim speakers that had been playing in the Infigo room throughout the show (it was between them and Analysis Audio), but I admit those little Aussie speakers were amazing. I have to guess that speakers and amps were probably being pushed close to their limits, but the system never sounded strained, and none of us heard any clipping. This in a room roughly twenty times the size of a typical home audio room.
Yes, that Audio Thesis room with the Rosso Fiorentino speakers sounded great and I ended up staying there and listening longer than I thought I would.

I listened in the Bella Sound room twice and those panels sounded great and produced a fantastic sound stage. They were playing them really loud and I did think I heard a bit of a rattle at times. Btw, the guy there sheepishly told me they did had a subwoofer slightly playing.

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes, that Audio Thesis room with the Rosso Fiorentino speakers sounded great and I ended up staying there and listening longer than I thought I would.

I listened in the Bella Sound room twice and those panels sounded great and produced a fantastic sound stage. They were playing them really loud and I did think I heard a bit of a rattle at times. Btw, the guy there sheepishly told me they did had a subwoofer slightly playing.
Speaking of panels were the Clarysis or Diptyques there?

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I don't know much about panels, but I don't think so.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't think so.

No cardioid speakers either, far as I know. There were several speakers with large diameter woofers mounted to large baffles which would have had a directivity index competitive with a subcardioid down to 300 Hz ballpark (same ballpark as the JBL M2).

In another thread somebody cautioned that AudioThesis is "not an ASR kinda shop". Perhaps, but I do not think they could have gotten such results in a small hotel room without getting the science right in areas that really matter.

I listened in the Bella Sound room twice and those panels sounded great and produced a fantastic sound stage.

Yup, their soundstage depth stood out to me as well. Way, way deeper than the back of the room (when such was on the recording), which cannot happen unless the venue spatial cues on the recording are perceptually dominant over the spatial cues of the playback room. Good dipoles do this and do it well when they are placed far enough out into the room to delay the arrival of the backwave energy sufficiently. SoundLabs are also superb at this, but had no chance to shine in their extremely small room. (Before the show I sketched a suggested set-up geometry for the SoundLab room that would result in a longer time delay before the arrival of the backwave energy, but they didn't use it, or maybe they tried it and it sucked.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There were several speakers with large diameter woofers
I think we are seeing a resurgence of larger woofers. I like that and I think the past recent decades trend of small ~6.5" woofers has shorted the end users of valuable sound quality. The ~6.5" woofers can and have been excellent in refined examples like the ENERGY 22 Connoisseur which I think you might be aware of. I read your comment the other day about a speaker using a 6.5" woofer producing amazing bass with a suitable low Z high current amplifier and I immediately thought of the ENERGY 22 series.

andrew

Two rooms that stood out to me were the big Estelon room and the Audio Thesis room with the Rosso Fiorentino "Volterra" speakers. After the show I told my wife I would rank those two rooms "one and two respectively" and she said "so would I".

Interest. Are you at liberty to let us know the speaker brand / speaker designer?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Interest. Are you at liberty to let us know the speaker brand / speaker designer?
All I know is that the 78 dB speaker and its designer are Australian. My understanding is that the speaker is not in production yet.

Top Bottom