• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir should setup a YouTube channel for more income source

q3cpma

Major Contributor
As long as it doesn't replace or sap quality from the written reviews. Videos take time to make, time to watch, it's easy to start rambling or repeat yourself and the written form forces you to structure your thoughts, leading to a vastly clearer result (in most cases). Not even talking about the problems of YouTube itself.

Crane

Forum Donor
The voice over is a pretty good method as it still provides pretty good information explanation wise especially since you're likely to show mostly results of your test. I think possibly the videos which would require more than that are ones where you'd show the workshop and explanation on your testing/procedure.

You could always do it Zeos style unedited Go Pro :p

adlervft

You can record using your DSLR and edit the video from the SD card later using DaVinci Resolve. It's free and very powerful. I've learn how to do basic editing quickly watching some tutorials.

AllanDavidson

I guess some feedback would be good. The easiest for me to do is one-take voiceover. See this example I did:

Hopefully you can see that i can cover more than what I can in text using visuals. I did four of these I think and each took a couple of hours. Had to do a lot to refine the audio fidelity with gating, filtering, limiters, etc. But once I got there, it was not too bad to produce more.

Someone also suggested an automated one where I do a video that is just background music and showing each measurement as a slide show. Personally I am not a fan of such videos online but to the extent they get people's attention on youtube, it may be of value. Let me know what you think of this idea. If we go this way, then others can ghost produce them for me as well as I can and we can go very fast. Maybe we make an automated video for everything and then I do a few that are personalized.

Bases on my limited experience doing some video production for a local retail, it is imperative to keep the workflow as simple as possible (if you have huge amounts of content to produce), while nesting similar tasks together as much as you can to save time.

For example: if you do all the work by yourself, when you grab the camera to take pictures of the product for the website review, record aswell all the video footage you might need, so you only use your camera once. It also helps a lot having the product all figured out when you record, this way you won't come back to do more shooting if you change your mind on something halfway. This is one of the reasons why I prefer to do the text/script first, then the voice recording/timeline second, then shooting.

When doing voice, I tend to do the recording in segments, this way I'm free from constraints and I can redo specific sentences or paragraphs without hurting the overall pace. The voice segments also serves as structure for the whole video.

The way you chose to write the script for the video is kinda personal and require some experimentation. If you do everything by yourself, I recommend you to have the product analyzed and measured out first, then writing about it (noting what would best fit for text review, and should be read to the Mic) in one go, this way you save some major time.

PS: On a more personal note, I try keep both audio and visual equally informative. There are many videos that I only listen to (because I'm busy doing something else), and some others I watch on Mute (because I'm listening something or talking with someone). This is why I have the habit of doing the voice before even touching the camera, so I am certain that all (or as much as possible) information is delivered through audio, and then I do the visual part later, to assure all the content is properly delivered.

Reactions: PSO

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the feedback you all. As noted, I probably need to do one video and see how it goes. Right now too busy with other things so maybe in the new year I will tackle it.

Top Bottom