• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

mash

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of the Boss2. Can't really beat it as a 1 box streamer/DAC for value/performance. I'm not so worried about the Moode functionality as I use my Boss2 mainly as a Roon endpoint and that works just fine in 8.3.0. My bigger concern is that something will break (and/or stop working) and I'll be stuck with no way to fix it. As an example, Roon requiring a mandatory upgrade to Roon Bridge and you need a newer version of Moode to run the new renderer.

Last edited:

kdickin2

Ok, after digging into this a bit more and finding a work around, the news isn't great. Basically, the Boss2 does not work with the current version of Moode 8.3.2. It stopped working at version 8.3.1 due to issues with the custom Linux driver that Allo provides. The Moode author had this to say in their support forum..."I suspect this is due to some sort of incompatibility between the custom Allo driver for the Boss 2 and the new 6.1.y Linux kernel branch". Apparently, this issue also might impact later versions of DietPi and there are also different issues with using the Boss2 and latest versions of Ropieee and/or RopieeeXL.

In the end, I was able to back track and install/use version 8.3.0 without issue, so there is a work around...for now...but if Allo doesn't come back on-line and/or start supporting their devices/software I could be looking at a nice blue retro gadget paper weight. That would be a shame, because its a really nice low cost roon endpoint that combines the streamer/dac in one box.
Yes, I can confirm that the BOSS2 stopped working with the latest DietPi update (v8.16.2). Hopefully Allo fixes this, but I am not holding my breath. I am using a spare Topping D10s with the Pi's USB output as a workaround. It sounds great.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I ran into this when I upgraded my moode installation to 8.3.1. I really like the Boss 2. It actually is audibly different from most Pi audio hats. I'm hoping that Allo will recover although I notice that their forum has very few company responses to support questions for the last several months. I downgraded my Moode installation to v8.30 for now. For me the new features and bug fixes in 8.3.1 and 8.3.2 aren't compelling reasons to upgrade. I know that some future version will make me want to.
Audibly different? How? Why?

fdealexa

Audibly different? How? Why?
Hi HarmonicTHD,
the problem is related to the new Linux release (6.1.X): the allo boss2 driver is not compatible with this. Please have a look to https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=350656.
I've read that many people are complaining that Allo is not responding to numerous support requests, even for other products, since mid-2022. I had to downgrade the system and I am looking to change the DAC; although I hope that Allo, given the good quality products, decides to provide adequate support as well.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi HarmonicTHD,
the problem is related to the new Linux release (6.1.X): the allo boss2 driver is not compatible with this. Please have a look to https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=350656.
I've read that many people are complaining that Allo is not responding to numerous support requests, even for other products, since mid-2022. I had to downgrade the system and I am looking to change the DAC; although I hope that Allo, given the good quality products, decides to provide adequate support as well.
Well no sound is audible indeed ;)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Is that then also a problem if you were to convert you Pi over to eg Moode or Volumio OS? Or is that not possible?

fdealexa

I normally use moOde which, since version 8.3.1, has adopted linux 6.1.21; now it is already at version 8.3.2 and 8.3.3 is expected soon; I had to go back to 8.3.0.
I've researched and also Dietpi and rAudio (using kernel 6.1.x) have the same problems and soon I predict that others will also switch to the new version and therefore will be "incompatible".
Thanks for your attention and best regards,
Francesco

Sister_Ray

Sourcing this thing since the chip crisis hit seems pretty hard, if not impossible. I already had one, but wanted two more to create Roon endpoints with I can hook up directly to active speakers or amp + passive speakers.
Unfortunately I have now waited for 5 months and the end is not in sight. Does anyone know a good, available alternative for the Boss2 (HiFi streamer/DAC in a single package)?

mash

While sourcing new units is an issue, I would be way more concerned about the current lack of support for existing customers. They aren't even letting anyone know if/when they will start fixing issues with the Boss2 again (and/or if they even plan on actually fixing the current Linus issue).

I own a Boss2 and am a big fan of the box.....its truly a great value. That said, I'm not sure I'll ever buy from Allo again if they don't quickly fix their support issues....or at least start communicating with their customer base.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
While sourcing new units is an issue, I would be way more concerned about the current lack of support for existing customers. They aren't even letting anyone know if/when they will start fixing issues with the Boss2 again (and/or if they even plan on actually fixing the current Linus issue).

I own a Boss2 and am a big fan of the box.....its truly a great value. That said, I'm not sure I'll ever buy from Allo again if they don't quickly fix their support issues....or at least start communicating with their customer base.
Audiophonics has these listed for sale. They are both French companies.

Barrelhouse Solly

I normally use moOde which, since version 8.3.1, has adopted linux 6.1.21; now it is already at version 8.3.2 and 8.3.3 is expected soon; I had to go back to 8.3.0.
I've researched and also Dietpi and rAudio (using kernel 6.1.x) have the same problems and soon I predict that others will also switch to the new version and therefore will be "incompatible".
Thanks for your attention and best regards,
Francesco

Yup. Same here. Stuck on 8.30. I've been using Moode since v 2.x and love the interface and the tweaking functionality. I love the SQ of the Boss 2. If it comes down to it I'll have to give up the Boss 2. I'm hoping for an open source driver.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sourcing this thing since the chip crisis hit seems pretty hard, if not impossible. I already had one, but wanted two more to create Roon endpoints with I can hook up directly to active speakers or amp + passive speakers.
Unfortunately I have now waited for 5 months and the end is not in sight. Does anyone know a good, available alternative for the Boss2 (HiFi streamer/DAC in a single package)?
I have one I am not using if you are interested.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one I am not using if you are interested.
Same here. I prefer using a stock RPI4 with Moode and a quality DAC. I don't use the BOSS2 anymore. The aluminum case reduces wifi signal by a HUGE factor and the USB wifi stick isn't a great solution either. Using the stock RPI4 with Moode provided a big difference in wifi connectivity for me. In my view the Boss2 aluminum case is a flawed design for wifi users.

Sister_Ray

Same here. I prefer using a stock RPI4 with Moode and a quality DAC. I don't use the BOSS2 anymore. The aluminum case reduces wifi signal by a HUGE factor and the USB wifi stick isn't a great solution either. Using the stock RPI4 with Moode provided a big difference in wifi connectivity for me. In my view the Boss2 aluminum case is a flawed design for wifi users.
Interesting point, I found its WiFi to be subpar as well, but figured that a dongle would fix this (it is backorder together with the Boss2). Perhaps a separate solution is indeed a better idea...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other options are to run the Boss2 without the aluminum case or use ethernet. The USB wifi stick helped some but was kind of a pain to setup and even after I got it working 100% it wasn't as big of a wifi range improvement as using the stock RPI4 with the FLEX or the RME ADI-2.

Barrelhouse Solly

Interesting point, I found its WiFi to be subpar as well, but figured that a dongle would fix this (it is backorder together with the Boss2). Perhaps a separate solution is indeed a better idea...
I use an AC1200 dongle I had lying around. It works great. Signal in the room is about -40 to -50 dBm so the internal one actually works well enough.

Barrelhouse Solly

Hi everybody,
To all having linux 6.X driver issue, Please have a look to:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/5505
Good luck and best regards,
Francesco
I tried the patch. It works. I had to apply it twice. The first try threw up a hash error. The second time it worked. I'm now on Moode 8.3.3. This will be part of the Linux kernel but the time is uncertain. Tim Curtis, the principal developer of Moode, says that if Moode is upgraded before the patch is incorporated in the kernel you'll have to apply the patch again. I'm guessing that the patch will work with other Raspberry Pi audio software that's gone to the 6.x Linux kernel but YMMV.

rafacq

Anyone knows if one can connect an iPhone lighting connector to the Allo Boss2 using the Apple Camera cable (lighting to USB) and connect it to one of the USB ports so I can use the Allo Boss2 DAC? That is how I connect my iPhone to my iFi HipDac for HiRes audio playback. I understand Apple AirPlay2 is not able to stream HiRes Audio. Anyone can comment and provide information on this subject?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone knows if one can connect an iPhone lighting connector to the Allo Boss2 using the Apple Camera cable (lighting to USB) and connect it to one of the USB ports so I can use the Allo Boss2 DAC? That is how I connect my iPhone to my iFi HipDac for HiRes audio playback. I understand Apple AirPlay2 is not able to stream HiRes Audio. Anyone can comment and provide information on this subject?
I very much doubt it.

Allo Boss 2 is not a DAC, it is a complete streamer solution. The USB ports are those of the raspberry pi mini computer, and as such are host ports, not device ports.

Top Bottom