• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKM... AKM!!! I hope this isn't what it looks like.... because it looks BAD

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yeah, that's probably the best option...
I'll add the answer to this thread if they tell me.
I would give my luck some better odds and ask AMK directly if I was you.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Some more impressions…

OP
M

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would give my luck some better odds and ask AMK directly if I was you.
Like from the page you request the datasheets from?

Yeah, I should talk to them first - ask them what the difference between the two modes is in the first place

max_headroom

The DAC's stated applications include "measurement equipment" and "control systems". Perhaps AKM believe that these applications have different performance objectives to audio reproduction?

Last edited:

Sangram

Presently I have put it back in the box pending construction of a proper amplifier. While checking if everything was OK I was using the Listening mode as it is the default. I only started messing with the menu on day 3, and did not get a chance for extensive comparison. The monitoring mode was my eventual preference.

I am very poor at describing things subjectively, however to me it seems that in Listening mode there is a small dip through the midbass to make the overall sound appear a bit more forward. Whether this is simple EQ or something more involved I do not know, but the difference is quite minor. The filters (which have a separate submenu) have overall a more pronounced effect. You do lose a very small amount of upper midbass detail, some specific sounds on some specific tracks tend to recede a bit.

I would hazard a guess that the impact is too minor to worry about. Both voicing seem acceptable, nothing offensive. Just moving your speakers about a bit, or moving closer or further will have far more change than the one setting.

Lambda

Major Contributor
And why would measurement mode, with better measurements, not sound as good as SOUND QUALITY MODE (food for thought in a different way for some people)
Well if your measurement can be tricked easily your measurement is not showing the full picture.

Of cause its easy to make a device that has Ultra High pure low distortion 1khz SINAD but is otherwise bad.
That’s why im against ranking by this metric.

sunjam

I believe SMSL D-6 has such SC setting for another similar AKM chip (4493S)

People who have SMSL D-6 can try it out with different SC setting.

Note: it is different from the regular filter settings as D-6 has a different filter setting too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-01 203250.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 203250.png
    141 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-04-01 203515.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 203515.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom