• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A05 Review (Budget Amplifier)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Not hifi? Why? Please show me in the measurements where it degrades the sound heavy?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Not hifi? Why? Please show me in the measurements...

The not so good things:
Poor frequency response at 5W resistive.
Severe load dependent response deviations.
Inability to even come close to rated power specifications.
Premature shutdown into 4R.
Faulty tone controls.

The good things:
Good channel separation.
Cheap as chips.
Tiny form factor.
Bluetooth.
Decent power switch.
Enough power for many non-critical applications.

:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The good things:
Good channel separation.
Cheap as chips.
Tiny form factor.
Bluetooth.
Decent power switch.
It also has no vents so you can put it where it is dusty like a woodshop. It is also very efficient if you happen to leave it on.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The not so good things:
Faulty tone controls.

The good things:
Good channel separation.
Cheap as chips.
Tiny form factor.
Bluetooth.
Decent power switch.

Lets face the audible facts. With 8ohm load its 1db up at 20khz. Thats very,very hard to hear. The faulty tonecontrolls, every audiophile can easy correct by ear. ;)

Yeap the rated power, I have to admit that i hate this overrating. But in this times you see it very often even at much more expensive products and even in the pro market. Just look at behringer. Its a pest.

I think this thing is absolutly ok for the price. Makes no sense for me to look for sota measurements in a 80$ amp with BT. For me the measurements tell, i could listen to it.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It also has no vents so you can put it where it is dusty like a woodshop.

Yes, that's very true- great point. I've seen some amplifiers that came out of wood-shops. 40 year blankets of sawdust!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's very true- great point. I've seen some amplifiers that came out of wood-shops. 40 year blankets of sawdust!

but probably still working and worth restoring whereas this will be in landfill after a couple of years. It's tat and nobody needs it.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
People love last century. Look at the recent Leaf Audio PA-03 MKII Review. Amir was terribly disappointed that the performance wasn't better and coundn't hold back with his love for the box. People were discussing how to repair it so as to rescue the object of their desire.
Repair? You mean throw away all the internals and replace with something decent? But then you are spending a huge amount on the casework and useless meters.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have Paradyne monitor SE(don't like them that much), mini DSP ddrs-24 and a topping PA3 for desktop use.
I am not happy with the IM of the mini DSP but I don't feel like the PA3 is the weakest link, maybe it is.

For desktop use the Ayima 5 may not be the weakest link unless you get a good DAC and and Good dsp OR proper speaker placement.
Who said they are Hi-Fi? It maybe news to you but this is an audio forum. Hi-Fi is just one aspect of audio.

Anyway, I will stop arguing with you as it looks like you haven’t read my posts and you are very rude.
I don't see Restorer-john as rude. He just calls it as he sees it!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I think you are both right, but talking of different applications. This is not a Hi-Fi amp, this is something a small shop owner might buy to play background music in his shop, etc. High parameters are not wrong, but not needed here. Perhaps the manufacturers should differentiate between "Hi-Fi amps" and "utility amps".
BTW: I think there is a reason (for this hypothetic shop owner) for buying this above the vintage amp: idle power consumption. I got a similar one @my GP facility, for years already, barely noticeable, cold even under load, and does its job. Not Hi-Fi, and doesn't need to be.
Same for background music in pubs. Who needs proper hi-fi for that?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The not so good things:
Faulty tone controls.

The good things:
Good channel separation.
Cheap as chips.
Tiny form factor.
Bluetooth.
Decent power switch.

Question was "show me in the measurements", not pros & cons.
Not hifi? Why? Please show me in the measurements where it degrades the sound heavy?

Tks

Major Contributor
They are too close to each other to connect beefy locking banana connectors I use for testing.

Can someone kindly explain why this stupidity still occurs literally in ANY product of ANY cost... When this occurs, you might as well sell an amp, but also don't wire it up so electricity flows through it, and also no gain settings, and also no volume control.

Cannot stand dumb stuff like this. It's like no one uses these products, but are somehow intelligent enough to do all the design work and manufacturing. Kinda reminds me of manufacturing companies that can't afford to hire a half-decent English translator to make sense of their product pages on AliExpress or something.. Like how are you that smart to own a literal factory that is viable, yet it's simply not possible to take a decent picture with a decent description of a product..

That's what seeing close terminals (even more on speakers) makes me feel like..

Ralferator

Another toy with high noise, high distortion and frequency response modulated by load impedance. Beheaded panther would suit it best.

Depends on how you look at it. It has better performance than a lot of much higher priced amps, so for the price it's a pretty good performance, don't you think? Also the question is - can you hear it? Look at the performance of the amps in Studio monitors like the JBL LSR305P, which isn't great but those speakers still sound good. So it's all a matter of putting things in relation.

Last edited:

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone kindly explain why this stupidity still occurs literally in ANY product of ANY cost... When this occurs, you might as well sell an amp, but also don't wire it up so electricity flows through it, and also no gain settings, and also no volume control.

Cannot stand dumb stuff like this. It's like no one uses these products, but are somehow intelligent enough to do all the design work and manufacturing. Kinda reminds me of manufacturing companies that can't afford to hire a half-decent English translator to make sense of their product pages on AliExpress or something.. Like how are you that smart to own a literal factory that is viable, yet it's simply not possible to take a decent picture with a decent description of a product..

That's what seeing close terminals (even more on speakers) makes me feel like..
Because their buyers are not using big, beefy locking interconnects that cost as much as the amp. Small form factor with folks using cheap but adequate bananas

Tks

Major Contributor
Because their buyers are not using big, beefy locking interconnects that cost as much as the amp. Small form factor with folks using cheap but adequate bananas

But that's not the question being answered. I want to know what possible cost could it be to rectify this issue? And you also missed when mentioned this is also a very common issue with passive speakers for instance. You're going to hold to this reason for those as well?

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But that's not the question being answered. I want to know what possible cost could it be to rectify this issue? And you also missed when mentioned this is also a very common issue with passive speakers for instance. You're going to hold to this reason for those as well?
The amp is what is in question and I don't see it as an issue for its market, otherwise they would "rectify" it. I can't comment on other people's speaker terminals as I've not had that problem.:)

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom