• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPods Pro II measurements? Holy bass batman!

Nwickliff

Has anyone seen the measurements on these headphones? I recently got mine and immediately switched the tips out for some foam tips and holy crap, the bass!!!!!! I don't think I've heard lower in my ears before and I'm including over-the-ear cans. With noise cancellation on these things are just incredible. Just wanted to find some measurements to back up what I'm hearing.

phrwn

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 1,703
OP
N

Nwickliff

Nice! Thank you. I did boost the treble just a bit. That's impressive as it looks like almost 5db at 20hz! These things bump and you just can't beat the convenience. I also wonder how much bass is gained with the foam seal vs the silicone tips.

Yasuo

All About That Bass

staticV3

Master Contributor
More measurements by 0dB
22663aa7d4ef9e95e63a3124f089d1b0.png

And Crin's data compared to what I consider neutral:
Airpods_Pro_2_vs_static_IEM_target-1.png

phrwn

Nice! Thank you. I did boost the treble just a bit. That's impressive as it looks like almost 5db at 20hz! These things bump and you just can't beat the convenience. I also wonder how much bass is gained with the foam seal vs the silicone tips.
Possibly no discernible difference since they have dynamic EQ.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 48726

I don't like raised response at high frequencies. Can they be EQ'ed from the iPhone?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't like raised response at high frequencies. Can they be EQ'ed from the iPhone?

There is no system-wide EQ on iOS and you can't directly save an EQ profile on AirPods, but I wouldn't get too hung up on the 6kHz peak shown on Crin's measurements with ANC on anyway :
APP2 vs Harman Crin+0dB.jpg

Generally speaking, not only do I prefer not to nitpick in terms of target adherence with IEMs and 711 couplers for a start, for the APP2 I'd also take the results with a pinch of salt until the feedback mechanism has been figured out (I don't think that it's quite as straightforward as the H1 chip AirPods when ANC is turned on as a little test with pink noise can suggest - the 1kHz+ region in particular might be quite interesting to investigate).

OP
N

Nwickliff

Possibly no discernible difference since they have dynamic EQ.
I literally made this post because of the perceived difference. Which was strong enough for me to take the time to create a post asking about the measurements. Then find a graph that corroborates my initial perceived change. Gonna go ahead and conclude it’s a discernible difference.

Or are you chalking it up to a possible eq change and not hardware change? Either way the bass is definitely greater. I wasn’t expecting it or listening for it but had several jaw dropping moments while listening.

I run 2 18” ultimax sealed subs for my main listening in my living room with two open baffle speakers each with 15” woofers so I know what good 20hz sounds/feels like (with measurements to back it up). Not a flex as I’m sure other can wipe the floor with my system, but just to give context that unknown what good/even bass extension sounds like.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I literally made this post because of the perceived difference. Which was strong enough for me to take the time to create a post asking about the measurements. Then find a graph that corroborates my initial perceived change. Gonna go ahead and conclude it’s a discernible difference.

Or are you chalking it up to a possible eq change and not hardware change? Either way the bass is definitely greater. I wasn’t expecting it or listening for it but had several jaw dropping moments while listening.

I run 2 18” ultimax sealed subs for my main listening in my living room with two open baffle speakers each with 15” woofers so I know what good 20hz sounds/feels like (with measurements to back it up). Not a flex as I’m sure other can wipe the floor with my system, but just to give context that unknown what good/even bass extension sounds like.
Have you tried the personalised spatial audio?

OP
N

Nwickliff

Have you tried the personalised spatial audio?
Yes. Don’t know that I’ve noticed a difference from the the OG pros but it sounds good. I’ve listened to it long enough that I now prefer it to regular stereo. I don’t use the head tracking though. Also pretty sweet when connected to Apple TV when my kiddo is asleep.

Neddy

Top Bottom