• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on upgrading from QAcoustic M20HD and REL t7x for desktop nearfield

slipperypete

I'm keen for your collective wisdom everyone. I'm seeking to upgrade my speakers from the Q Acoustic M20HD for desktop. They are mounted on speaker stands approx. 30cm (11-12inch) on my desk, perfect for tweeter at ear level. My room is about 50% treated, not an optimal size (square shape), but I have my desk near the wall and acoustics sound great where I sit.
I would also consider upgrading the REL t7x, but it's not as priority (I know REL gets a bit of hate on this forum, but it's a superb sub for me and the music I listen to at the moment). I listen solely to music (deep house, EDM, film scores/orchestral, rap, etc).

I am going to try out the Genelec 8340's in store, and by all accounts they seem like they will be the pick. But, I am keen to understand if there are any other recommendations I should trial (consider money is not a limiter at this stage).
Same goes for subwoofers, Genelec 7360A appears great, particularly for the GLM integration.

As I mentioned, my room isn't 100% treated and would be difficult to get it there, so the SAM system is attractive. I plan on spending many hours doing measurements with a mic and treating the room soon enough.

Here's my requirements:
- Active
- Near-field (0.5m - 1m listening distance)
- I listen to volumes low-medium. Rarely loud, but on occasion.
- 1 sub, I won't be moving around the room.
- 100% music use, I love precision and listening to music the way it was intended to be produced.
- I'm willing to spend a bit of money as this upgrade will be my permanent office setup. (I work from home and spend 8-12 hours a day at my desk).
- If it helps to understand my listening profile, I have Focal Clears for my headphones.

First time posting here, have lurked a lot and read a lot of reviews and posts. Thanks a lot for all your contributions.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
What are you seeking to improve, i.e. what is wrong with your current setup?

OP
S

slipperypete

Good question. The dynamics of the M20 are a little lack luster. I like mid/bass/sub-bass heavy tracks, and would like to move from a 5" woofer to a 6.5" or greater for the mid/bass improvements. I'm conscious they'll never have the dynamics of a floor-stander, but it's not my goal for my office setup.
The M20 has been excellent value for my first pair of active speakers, and will be retired to another room to continue use.

nat1

Does the sub out of the M20 apply any high pass filtering? Half of the benefit of using a sub is relieving the mains from bass duties, which will aid in improving sound quality

OP
S

slipperypete

Nah it doesn’t have a high pass filter.

As an update, I went into my local and tried out the genelec 80xx/83xx range. Absolutely blew me away with what they are capable of. I’ve decided on the 8330c + 7350a, and will pick them up next week. Current system will retire to another room to continue use.
I also tried the dynaudio LYD 48, Neumann KH 120, Genelec 8341, and a bunch of other 2-way and 3-way monitors. Honestly, they were all amazing in their own designs. I found the LYD48 to be amazing, but they felt like they would be too fatiguing on a long listening session. KH120 were very similar to 8030c. The ‘ones’ range are unreal, but I feel the DR kicks in for price, and would only consider that if I was in production work.

I’ll spend a massive amount of time doing room treatment and getting placement perfect when they arrive. This appears as though it’ll yield the biggest improvements.

OP
S

slipperypete

It's probably worth mentioning for the benefit of others in a similar position to me, that the 8030/8330 only has a 5" woofer. I initially wanted to move from my current M20 5" woofer to a 6.5", expecting that the punch would be improved. I couldn't have been any more wrong. I trialed the 8030 with and without a subwoofer. When I put on "Supersonic" by Skrillex/Noisia/josh pan/Dylan Brady, I asked my guy to turn the sub off so I could listen solely to the speaker, and he said it is off... I couldn't believe how low and clear the Genelecs would play without a sub. But then turning the sub on... I was sold.
It will be a real treat once I get it all integrated in my office with the help of GLM.

tl;dr well designed 5" woofers can punch above (or below in this case) their weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom