• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding post-DSP SPDIF outputs to AVRs

Taso

Most likely the gain differences of the AVR channels will be done via the analog volume control chips after the DACs. Maybe they also tweak the volumes control of the DAC a bit.. hard to say. You may find out with a bit of experimentation.

It’s fixed. Note though that the MiniDSP will resample it again to its internal clock domain regardless of the input sample rate.
Ok, thanks, I almost understand.
If you were in my place, with this audio scheme/chain, considering the Denon x3600h, with digital coax out at 48khz (I assume 24bit)...how would you set my Apogee Rosetta 200 converter at the input to the Denon? Also, would you run the 10x10 minidisp with 48khz or 96khz plugins? I attach a simple drawing.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20231204_215734 (1).jpg
    20231204_215734 (1).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 40

Taso

It is indeed a bit of both. The individual channel gain offsets are digital and then the analog volume control ICs are used to attenuate all channels at the output. Setting the system volume above ~82% will also raise the DSP output above 0dBFS, which is the source of the clipping often encountered during Amir's reviews.
Are you saying that, although in my system, the volume is regulated by the minidsp, even the original volume of the denon which, in my case, is useless and does not regulate anything, can change the digital output signal for me?
Would it therefore be a good thing if I kept it fixed at zero in my employment?
Thank you

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, thanks, I almost understand.
If you were in my place, with this audio scheme/chain, considering the Denon x3600h, with digital coax out at 48khz (I assume 24bit)...how would you set my Apogee Rosetta 200 converter at the input to the Denon? Also, would you run the 10x10 minidisp with 48khz or 96khz plugins? I attach a simple drawing.
Thank you
I doubt it matters much, you’ll have 2 ASRCs, one in the x3800h, one in the MiniDSP. Given that same rate ASRCs are often the least ideal cases due to closeness of the clock speeds, you may be best off having the ADC and MiniDSP at 96 kHz. I don’t think it will be audible though.

Taso

I doubt it matters much, you’ll have 2 ASRCs, one in the x3800h, one in the MiniDSP. Given that same rate ASRCs are often the least ideal cases due to closeness of the clock speeds, you may be best off having the ADC and MiniDSP at 96 kHz. I don’t think it will be audible though.
OK, thanks anyway for the teachings and advice. :)

fdiji

Hello all,

Thank you @Weeb Labs for putting this all together. This is a potentially great solution to a problem I am currently facing specing out a HT in a condo with a pair of Active Bang and Olufsen Beolab 5's with Active Bass Control (ABC) for my for my FL and FR speakers. I know many may scoff at B&O, but these do put out a pretty impressive sound for movies with 2 15" woofers all in a beautiful package which was important to me for my condo's decor.

Each Beolab 5 can be fed a digital coax input but because the speaker applies its own "ABC" filters, I want to pull the signal from the decoder on the receiver rather than post DSP to avoid a double DSP scenario. I'd like to still apply DSP to the rest of the channels which will be a more convensional setup with typical home theatre speakers. Is this possible to do?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this possible to do?
Potentially. The main issue is the lack of volume control on the makeshift SPDIF output. You’ll have to manually match the L+R to the rest every time. Also note that the room correction of the AVR may stilll be beneficial to the B&Os, because it does different things vs the B&O correction. I would always try them both first.

fdiji

I think that would be possible with a harmony remote integration as volume goes up by 1db per click, but those are valid points thank you. I'll report back if I decide to embark on this endeavour.

fdiji

I don't understand how you can do it harmony remote....
The BeoLab 5’s have their own volume control via IR that increase in 1db increments so the harmony could control volume control of the AVR/Processor and Beolab 5 simultaneously

Top Bottom