• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Speaker Recommendations for USA (by @sweetchaos)

robca

Hello, I was looking for info on the 8320a (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/genelec-8320a-review-powered-monitor.23831/) and I see this (**)

1692140308590.png

I'm not sure why the that specific speaker is missing some info. Is there a way to add it?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I'm not sure why the that specific speaker is missing some info. Is there a way to add it?
We know that:
8010A is PS of 5.1 with LFX of 67
8030C is PS of 6.3 with LFX of 46

Based on the above, I extrapolated the 8020D, right in between:
8020D would be PS of 5.7 with LFX of 56

Well, the 8320A is basically the same speaker as 8020D, but with the addition of SAM.
I already estimated 8020D, so I just repeated the same process for 8320A.

Main post updated.

robca

We know that:
8010A is PS of 5.1 with LFX of 67
8030C is PS of 6.3 with LFX of 46

Based on the above, I extrapolated the 8020D, right in between:
8020D would be PS of 5.7 with LFX of 56

Well, the 8320A is basically the same speaker as 8020D, but with the addition of SAM.
I already estimated 8020D, so I just repeated the same process for 8320A.

Main post updated.
I assumed that the data was taken from this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...320a-review-powered-monitor.23831/post-800610

1692199327782.png

Attachments

• 1692199320078.png
    1692199320078.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 38

jeffme

Forum Donor
Is there a reason the Neumann KH310 replaces the KH150 in the ratings as the price goes up, even though it scores lower according to the performance scores? I can guess, but doesn't that indicate the tables should list some more info?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
My source of data is always been spinorama.org, since MZKM doesnt provide the preference score for anyone other than Amir.

Is there a reason the Neumann KH310 replaces the KH150 in the ratings as the price goes up, even though it scores lower according to the performance scores? I can guess, but doesn't that indicate the tables should list some more info?
IMO, 3-way speakers are superior to 2-way speakers, which means KH310 is the step up from KH150, as you go in price.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Any suggestions on micro sized desktop monitors besides the iLoud micro?
Are you going to use a sub or just speakers by themselves? Price range? Size restrictions? Used for recording/mastering or just general listening? What is your source that is connecting to it?

In general I would recommend a sub but I understand that is not always prractical.

Genelec 8010 or 8020 with sub. 8020 OK without a sub but still lacks bass
Neuman KH80 similar to 8020 just OK without sub
iloud MTM or Micro would probably be my top choice without sub. You won't be able to play loud but these go a little lower in bass region than most small speakers. We are not talking shake the house bass just fill in some of the lower octsvr to give a richer, fuller sound.
Kali IN-UNF 3 way speaker and very nice sounding but you need to make room for the bass module. You can still add a sub but without a sub this does very well. It's bass module is made to go under or behind a monitor os it might be more pratical that some others with a sub. If you can use a sub but it needs to on floor or out of desk area than look at some of the other speakers with a sub.
KEF LS50 II or LSX II - Another good choice but pricier
Edifier MR4 - better with a sub
Adam A4V - better with a sub
Focal Shape 40 - better with a sub

The common theme here is small speakers have trouble producing bass if you can go with larger speakers it is easier to get away without a sub. Some small home speakers not aiming for accuracy might be better with an Appple Home Pod, JBL Portable speakers or something similar.

jeffme

Forum Donor
IMO, 3-way speakers are superior to 2-way speakers, which means KH310 is the step up from KH150, as you go in price.

Totally agree, but opinion seems so counter to the ethos of this site, that that struck me as odd. Shouldn't the numbers support the opinion & if they don't, maybe there are some missing numbers? There are a few posts on this site implying that the 2-ways may outperform the 3-ways in this case. Regardless, many thanks for compiling this resource.

auricom

Totally agree, but opinion seems so counter to the ethos of this site, that that struck me as odd. Shouldn't the numbers support the opinion & if they don't, maybe there are some missing numbers? There are a few posts on this site implying that the 2-ways may outperform the 3-ways in this case. Regardless, many thanks for compiling this resource.
I've been thinking the same. It doesn't make the rating useless, but definitely less useful.
Of course not all 3-way speakers are better than all 2-way speakers. There are plenty of cheap and bad 3-way speakers. But I know this is not what @sweetchaos meant. More expensive Neumann 3-way is expected to be better than their cheaper 2-way speaker - the DSP (room correction), in this case.
So we can expect the actual rating of KH 310 to be better than 6.9... maybe the coming DSP version will surpass that, but it also might not.

Is LS60 Wireless really the best speaker of all time? That's what the scoreboard says. By a huge margin too. I don't believe it, but maybe it is. Very good value then. 4000-5000€ used. It's not even measured though.

dfuller

Major Contributor
There are missing numbers. Unless you're using some truly space age drivers (see: Purifi) your IMD will pretty much always be higher with 2-way than 3-way designs.

8bits

I am in the market for an active monitor for my desktop. Since I am in Australia, pricing gets skewed compared to Sweetchaos' list.
I don't want to spend much since this is my 3rd setup.

I can get a JBL 308P MKII for AUD 900 for the pair. I was eyeing the Neuman KH80 but that is $800 per speaker. I doubt the KH80 is twice as good :p
Is there any other set of speakers I should be looking into as well?

Neale

I am in the market for an active monitor for my desktop. Since I am in Australia, pricing gets skewed compared to Sweetchaos' list.
I don't want to spend much since this is my 3rd setup.

I can get a JBL 308P MKII for AUD 900 for the pair. I was eyeing the Neuman KH80 but that is $800 per speaker. I doubt the KH80 is twice as good :p
Is there any other set of speakers I should be looking into as well?
desktop only? Get the 305P. Excellent for the price ... which on black friday (Australian version) were going for $A389 pair - bargain.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Edifier S100mk2

Often on sale in AU and US (and probably other territories too)

comes as a pair: chunky 18mm thick MDF cabinets, with Bluetooth input and and remote control.

And doesn’t have the hiss that plagues the JBL 30x models.

Measured by industry veteran Brent Butterworth for Wirecutter, now owned by New Yorks Times.

I have spinorama data somewhere here…

Last edited:

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well this is how Brent measured his sample:

1702357836035.png

Reference:

Others, with thanks to Brent Butterworth:

Here's now my sample came measured via CTA2034A.

1702357268038.png

1702358191493.png

1702357529825.png

1702357551608.png

Could it be better? Sure!
Could it be worse? Most Definitely.
But hard to beat for the sale price:
1702357623815.png

Reference:

Top Bottom