• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About the choice of Revel F226Be, Kef R7 Meta and Perlisten R5t

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I recently wanted to upgrade my main speakers. My room is 15 square meters, and I am currently using a pair of jbl studio690 as the main speakers. Their sound is good, but I always feel that there is something missing when listening to music. The r7 meta is the cheapest among them. All three have very good measurement data. I don’t know how to choose. I hope to get your reply.
I'm partial to concentric drivers. So, I would go with the KEFs.

The reason I like concentric drivers is that there is not a dip in the frequency response at the midrange/tweeter crossover point when I am not on axis vertically, which is an issue for speakers that are not concentric. Oftentimes I listen to music when I am not seated in my listening chair, so to me vertical off-axis response is important.

But, if the speakers are only going to be used when you are seated in your listening chair, then all three speakers should sound good based on their measurements (I have not heard them, though).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm partial to concentric drivers. So, I would go with the KEFs.

The reason I like concentric drivers is that there is not a dip in the frequency response at the midrange/tweeter crossover point when I am not on axis vertically, which is an issue for speakers that are not concentric. Oftentimes I listen to music when I am not seated in my listening chair, so to me vertical off-axis response is important.

But, if the speakers are only going to be used when you are seated in your listening chair, then all three speakers should sound good based on their measurements (I have not heard them, though).
I haven't heard any of these speakers. Based however on the immense pleasure provided by my lowly JBL LSR 308 helped by a pair of subwoofers; those subwoofers are EQ and DSP's by miniDSP and MSO, REW, I would go with the Revel f226BE...
Same family and same design philosophy.
I do like what a concentric driver arrangement brings to the table, but based on my experience with the earlier LS50 ... although these were set-up during my pre-ASR days..
still, I would go Revel plus serious subS, with serious outboard DSP (miniDSP 2x4 HD + MSO and REW Software).

Peace.

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
with serious outboard DSP (mniDSP 2x4 HD + MSO and REW Software).
I agree that DSP is a game changer. I use a miniDSP Flex HTx in my family room, and just this morning got Camilla DSP implementing EQ/room correction for my office speakers. Both systems benefit significantly from DSP.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of think it's a question of what you want, and what will play best in your room. Personally, I'm team KEF. I own LS 50 Metas for L-R, OG LS 50's for SL-SR, and HTC 3001 SE for my center. The one thing I can tell you is 15 sq meters is a smaller room and I'm not sure a wider dispersion speakers like the Revels (which I have the utmost respect for) would necessarily work well given all the room reflection you would get (could make everything seem overbright). But your best bet is to listen. Don't know much about Perlisten. Have not personally heard any of their models, but I have heard both the OG Salons and the Salon 2's. and the Gems, and the F36's. I've also head the Kef 104's, so I've heard quite a few of them as well.

lookstoomuch

I haven't heard any of these speakers. Based however on the immense pleasure provided by my lowly JBL LSR 308 helped by a pair of subwoofers; those subwoofers are EQ and DSP's by miniDSP and MSO, REW, I would go with the Revel f226BE...
Same family and same design philosophy.
I do like what a concentric driver brings to the table but based on my experience with the earlier LS50 ... although these were set-up during my pre-ASR days..
still. I would go Revel plus serious subS, with serious outboard DSP (mniDSP 2x4 HD + MSO and REW Software).

Peace.
Similar road I went down, started with JBL-HDI3800 great sound reproduction and dynamics but too "focused" ->KEF (just not for my taste in my room, narrow dispersion maybe?)-> F226BE + 3 subs + miniDSP + MSO = Clean w/Dynamics of the JBL's + Wide stage. Simply awesome every time I turn the system on.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
DSP在当今如此重要,我完全同意这一点。我非常喜欢 Dirac BC 之后的声音。
Please post in English going forward. Thanks

OP
J

JohNChen

I'm very sorry. After typing the reply by hand, I was using the browser's translation to check the semantics. After checking that it was correct, I clicked send. This is the original reply: DSP is so important in nowadays and I couldn't agree more. I really like the sound after Dirac BC.

Looneybomber

I just had the JBL HDI3800 and Revel F206 in my room. I preferred the Revels.

If you’re comparing a studio 690 (step down from the HDI 3800) to a Revel F226 (step up from the F206), then my vote easily goes to the Revel. However, I have not heard the KEF or Perlisten. They could be fantastic. It behooves you to go listen to these before choosing.

Looneybomber

I'm very sorry. After typing the reply by hand, I was using the browser's translation to check the semantics. After checking that it was correct, I clicked send. This is the original reply: DSP is so important in nowadays and I couldn't agree more. I really like the sound after Dirac BC.
Too much importance is placed on DSP. It’s your last line of attack at fixing sound issues. Because it’s so easy to use, folks consider it the to be one of the first things to do. From my review of the JBL, “With room correction/eq, I could not get these JBLs to work for me because room correction, despite it's name, does not correct anything with the room.”

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Too much importance is placed on DSP. It’s your last line of attack at fixing sound issues. Because it’s so easy to use, folks consider it the to be one of the first things to do. From my review of the JBL, “With room correction/eq, I could not get these JBLs to work for me because room correction, despite it's name, does not correct anything with the room.”
I agree that DSP is the last step in the process of getting everything properly setup, and other issues first should be addressed, but I disagree that there is too much importance placed on it.

For aesthetic reasons I don't use any room treatments beyond whatever we choose for furniture and decorations. Nonetheless, PEQ and Dirac Live (using a miniDSP) had a significantly positive impact on the sound of my system in my family room.

In my office, one of my KEF LS60s is placed closer to the wall and other furnishings than the other, and thus their in-room responses are different. I measured each speaker individually from my listening position and generated a .wav correction file for each speaker. I use CamillaDSP to implement convolution with the .wav files. It definitely improved the sound quality in my office.

Moreover, I have never heard a subwoofer integration that sounded very good without DSP. I tried, but always had phasing issues, in addition to room modal issues. Using DSP, I have my subwoofer very well integrated with my bookshelf speakers in my family room. (I don't use a subwoofer in my office).

Last edited:
OP
J

JohNChen

I just had the JBL HDI3800 and Revel F206 in my room. I preferred the Revels.

If you’re comparing a studio 690 (step down from the HDI 3800) to a Revel F226 (step up from the F206), then my vote easily goes to the Revel. However, I have not heard the KEF or Perlisten. They could be fantastic. It behooves you to go listen to these before choosing.
Thank you for your suggestion.I think i'll love Revel too.The problem is there is no place for me to listen to F226,I guess i just have to buy it myself.Save money from now.:D

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Revel F226Be is on sale for $3850. You might ask @amirm for a quote too.
It's an amazing speaker!

Top Bottom