• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About the choice of Revel F226Be, Kef R7 Meta and Perlisten R5t

JohNChen

Hi everyone, I recently wanted to upgrade my main speakers. My room is 15 square meters, and I am currently using a pair of jbl studio690 as the main speakers. Their sound is good, but I always feel that there is something missing when listening to music. The r7 meta is the cheapest among them. All three have very good measurement data. I don’t know how to choose. I hope to get your reply.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Will these be played full-range, or do you have subwoofers to handle bass?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can check Spinorama.org for comparing measurements.

Revel F226be
Tonality: 5.6
Bass extension: 46Hz
Flatness: ±1.2dB

KEF R7 Meta
Tonality: 7.0
Bass extension: 32Hz
Flatness: ±1.7dB

Perlisten R5t
Tonality: 7.3
Bass extension: 29Hz
Flatness: ±1.9dB

Personally I would choose between the KEF R7 Meta and Perlisten R5t. And a tough choice between them! :)

lookstoomuch

The only way to be comfortable with your choice is trial in your room if that's possible. All of these are too expensive to purchase without this.

I own the F226BE and have trialed various KEF. They have very different sound signatures and I found I preferred that of the Revel. The F226 really benefit from being paired with a sub(s) and would not own them without, but the only way I could reach this conclusion was the in home testing.

OP
J

JohNChen

You can check Spinorama.org for comparing measurements.

Revel F226be
Tonality: 5.6
Bass extension: 46Hz
Flatness: ±1.2dB

KEF R7 Meta
Tonality: 7.0
Bass extension: 32Hz
Flatness: ±1.7dB

Perlisten R5t
Tonality: 7.3
Bass extension: 29Hz
Flatness: ±1.9dB

Personally I would choose between the KEF R7 Meta and Perlisten R5t. And a tough choice between them! :)
Thank you for your reply. I have seen before that the measurement data of R7 Meta and R5t are surprisingly good, but the reputation of F226Be is also very good, which has caught me in a dilemma. If only based on measurement data, the R7 Meta is undoubtedly the most cost-effective.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The R5t would be my choice of the three. Run them sealed, since you'll be using subs, and you'll have plenty of dynamics for your room.

OP
J

JohNChen

What do you feel is missing?

Could that be potentially on the small side for JBL floorstanders with dual 8" woofers?
Yes, I think dual 8" woofers is more than enough for my space. I think what is lacking is some analytical power and timbre. When I listen to human voices, I often feel a bit too straightforward. I hope they can be more pleasing to the ear.

OP
J

JohNChen

The R5t would be my choice of the three. Run them sealed, since you'll be using subs, and you'll have plenty of dynamics for your room.
Thank you for your reply! I asked the local dealer and he also said that the R5t has an amazing dynamic range, but the price is indeed the most expensive among these three.

OP
J

JohNChen

The only way to be comfortable with your choice is trial in your room if that's possible. All of these are too expensive to purchase without this.

I own the F226BE and have trialed various KEF. They have very different sound signatures and I found I preferred that of the Revel. The F226 really benefit from being paired with a sub(s) and would not own them without, but the only way I could reach this conclusion was the in home testing.
Thank you for your reply! It's really too expensive and i can't afford that.May I ask you the size and acoustic treatment of your room? I personally prefer a larger sound field, but I'm not sure if the revel may sound a bit dull and lacks dynamism.I saw someone say that.

Dovydas

I would be very eager to see how new SVS Ultra Evolutions would fit to this company, once it's available of course. Price is great, it has a full product range for HT and for my weird taste, it looks great as well :)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your reply! It's really too expensive and i can't afford that.May I ask you the size and acoustic treatment of your room? I personally prefer a larger sound field, but I'm not sure if the revel may sound a bit dull and lacks dynamism.I saw someone say that.

The Revel 226, 228, 328 kick butt. Anyone that says they lack dynamics likely hasn't heard them. The dispersion is amazingly wide as well. I really enjoy my Revel F328Be. I haven't found another speaker that offers the same definition in my room. You really need to hear the speaker before you buy. Even if you have to travel some place that has all of them or two of the three so you can compare. Online posts aren't enough to make a quality decision for speakers that you could have the rest of your life.

OP
J

JohNChen

The Revel 226, 228, 328 kick butt. Anyone that says they lack dynamics likely hasn't heard them. The dispersion is amazingly wide as well. I really enjoy my Revel F328Be. I haven't found another speaker that offers the same definition in my room. You really need to hear the speaker before you buy. Even if you have to travel some place that has all of them or two of the three so you can compare. Online posts aren't enough to make a quality decision for speakers that you could have the rest of your life.
Thank you for your suggestion! I am looking for an opportunity to try listening to these speakers. It's really regrettable that i can't compare them in the same room, but I think having either of them should be satisfying.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Thank you for your suggestion! I am looking for an opportunity to try listening to these speakers. It's really regrettable that i can't compare them in the same room, but I think having either of them should be satisfying.
Gene at Auduoholics has the 328be and Perlisten in his home (may have moved on from the 328 by now) and could give you some opinions about their characteristics from an in room perspective.

OP
J

JohNChen

Gene at Auduoholics has the 328be and Perlisten in his home (may have moved on from the 328 by now) and could give you some opinions about their characteristics from an in room perspective.
How can i contact him?

MarcT

Forum Donor
Yes, I think dual 8" woofers is more than enough for my space. I think what is lacking is some analytical power and timbre. When I listen to human voices, I often feel a bit too straightforward. I hope they can be more pleasing to the ear.
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "analytical power and timbre". And if you are looking for vocals that are "pleasing to the ear", perhaps Sonus Faber would be more up your alley than some of these more accurate speakers.

OP
J

JohNChen

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "analytical power and timbre". And if you are looking for vocals that are "pleasing to the ear", perhaps Sonus Faber would be more up your alley than some of these more accurate speakers.
Thanks for your advice! Let me save money and research at the same time... Sonus Faber is added to the options

Top Bottom