• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A7V deception... help me to change

OP
PoorAlchemist

PoorAlchemist

Neumann or Genelec will do a better job, but, regardless, at bass frequencies you will need (1) a sub, (2) measurement microphone, (3) EQ, (4) some knowledge of acoustics.
Ok after weeks of reflexion, I will choose beetwen "genelec 8050" and "Neuman KH150"...

Both speakers receive a roughly similar level of praise, they have the same dynamic range and the same price.
Maybe you have some final advices to make a choice. My way of listening is for pleasure 90%. So I like to move around the room listening, and I'm not looking for the most clinical speaker, but most the one that will make me feel close to the instruments. Even if it's literature...

Basically the KH150s have smaller woofers that blow harder to compensate, does that make listening more directional? Don't Genelec have a more "liberated" sound in the bass? conversely, the waveguide makes the listening spot wider in the treeble on neuman?

I noticed that the genelec have an less glamour apparence, more like an electric heater :D . But i wonder if this "utilitarian charm" is a proof that every euro invested only serves the sound quality

PowerSerge

Another speaker you can look at is the KRK V8 S4. Best sounding speaker I ever owned or heard at the price and they dont start to roll off until 40 hz unlike the hs8s which start the roll off around 50hz.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Ok after weeks of reflexion, I will choose beetwen "genelec 8050" and "Neuman KH150"...

Both speakers receive a roughly similar level of praise, they have the same dynamic range and the same price.
Maybe you have some final advices to make a choice. My way of listening is for pleasure 90%. So I like to move around the room listening, and I'm not looking for the most clinical speaker, but most the one that will make me feel close to the instruments. Even if it's literature...

Basically the KH150s have smaller woofers that blow harder to compensate, does that make listening more directional? Don't Genelec have a more "liberated" sound in the bass? conversely, the waveguide makes the listening spot wider in the treeble on neuman?

I noticed that the genelec have an less glamour apparence, more like an electric heater :D . But i wonder if this "utilitarian charm" is a proof that every euro invested only serves the sound quality
You can compare here: https://www.spinorama.org/compare.h...or&origin1=Vendors-EV&speaker1=Neumann+KH+150

The Neumann is indeed more directional at HF. This will make it a little less bright compared to the Genelec.

Please consider getting GLM if you decide on the Genelec or the MA1 for the Neumann. It will make life very easy to do measurements and make adjustments. Otherwise a great deal of learning will be required.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor

I noticed that the genelec have a less glamour apparence, more like an electric heater :D . But i wonder if this "utilitarian charm" is a proof that every euro invested only serves the sound quality
As a happy user of 8030C with sub, I would say both will be phenomenal and Neumann being newer and have built in dsp should be better in overall sound, it’s competing with the genelec 8341/51 IMO

But! All these are more sidegrade than upgrade of the A7V than you would imagine, AFAIK the A7V is already in the very good category, upgrading to the excellent grade won’t make you much, the perceived tonality is likely due to the original sound of the Yamaha which is not that good but you’ve grown adapted to it, so maybe let your brain burn in a bit is the key, I personally won’t go spending so much so quick, save your bucks, listen to the adams a week or two and then compare again with the HS8 and likely you will be surprised

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
smaller woofers that blow harder to compensate, does that make listening more directional?
Actually the smaller the driver, the less directional it will be. Directionality (that is caused by the driver size) starts to happen when the wavelength becomes small compared to the cone. This is why "bass is omni", the waves are much larger than even the whole speaker cabinet.

For the higher excursion (blow harder) you will tend to experience more distortion, especially more IMD, at a given frequency and SPL. This could make a larger driver sound "more liberated", perhaps, depending on exactly what you have in mind when you say that.

YSDR

The room is in control at LF. You are hearing the effects of SBIR and modes, depending what frequencies you mean, not the speaker.
Not just the room, but room + speakers, as always.

Top Bottom