• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitors for mixing/mastering under 1000€?

renemartin

Hi, what should be the best choice for my home studio? I'm learning (want to do) mix/master and I'm making beats. I'm now rocking with Eris E3.5.

List: (prices aren't important)
Genelec 8020DPM - 860€, smaller, "worse" bass, sub-woofer would be ok.
Focal Alpha 80 EVO - 800€
Neumann KH80 - 1000€
KRK V8 - 990€
Adam Audio A4V - 850€

any other suggestions?

thx

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before anyone asks, this is the room, right?

OP
R

renemartin

Yes, it is.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know, but for mixing & mastering you just need good monitors and a good room. They don't have to be "perfect" or sound "great", but they shouldn't have any major defects/deficiencies. Every speaker/monitor is different so you just have to learn what a good mix sounds like on your setup.

sub-woofer would be ok
For "serious work" you need to know what the bass really sounds like. I'm not sure if an 8-woofer can be adequate without a subwoofer but I'd say 8-inches is the minimum...

OP
R

renemartin

I don't know, but for mixing & mastering you just need good monitors and a good room. They don't have to be "perfect" or sound "great", but they shouldn't have any major defects/deficiencies. Every speaker/monitor is different so you just have to learn what a good mix sounds like on your setup.

For "serious work" you need to know what the bass really sounds like. I'm not sure if an 8-woofer can be adequate without a subwoofer but I'd say 8-inches is the minimum...
Yeah, I know that "Every speaker/monitor is different so you just have to learn what a good mix sounds like on your setup.".

I just want some better option than my Eris E3.5 and want to heard the most of my mixes. Mainly in order to really hear things and make learning what/how to hear easier.

https://www.muziker.sk/presonus-eris-sub-8 - what about this?

PowerSerge

I owned a pair of V8 S4 monitors for a while and absolutely loved them. Frequency response wise they are very flat. I took a couple measurements. They also play really loud. One unique thing about them is the kevlar tweeter which is the same exact material as the woofer. I dont know of any speaker that uses a kevlar tweeter and I really enjoyed the sound of it. The midrange is also very detailed. They will also play much lower than all of your other choices. Mine didnt fall off until 35 to 40hz so I didnt crave a sub. The front baffle is aluminum and they come with really nice grilles in the box although they degraded the top end.

Also the krk are more expensive here than all your choices. Theyre like 840 each while some of the other monitors are around 500 to 600 each. For me personally its an easy choice with your prices.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
R

renemartin

Maybe I should firstly wait to get some insights, recommendations about room acoustics, get some idea of price of acoustic treatments and then think about monitors.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Maybe I should firstly wait to get some insights, recommendations about room acoustics, get some idea of price of acoustic treatments and then think about monitors.

Good approach.. some room treatment will get expensive.. bass trap's, absorber and diffuser panels... 500-600 USD should get you started.

(Sticking that 2 cm Pyramide foam that you often see on YouTuber channels to the wall will not do anything)

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Neumann KH80 with their mic, and add KH750 sub as soon as you can

ozzy9832001

This.

Because you can make a decent pair of speakers sound great with a properly treated room. The same is not necessarily true of a great pair of speakers in a terrible room.

And if you going to shell out the money, you might as well get a calibrated mic like the UMIK-1. That way, you can actually setup to not only your ears, but the data as well.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This.

Because you can make a decent pair of speakers sound great with a properly treated room. The same is not necessarily true of a great pair of speakers in a terrible room.

And if you going to shell out the money, you might as well get a calibrated mic like the UMIK-1. That way, you can actually setup to not only your ears, but the data as well.
That was my point, to buy KH80 which does that internally and doesn't require any additional software on the computer side to run after the calibration

Top Bottom