• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A surprise on Qobuz...

Galliardist

Major Contributor

On its own, this is enough to make me reconsider my use of Qobuz. I suppose "high resolution audio" is one of its selling points, but the step diagram... really?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

On its own, this is enough to make me reconsider my use of Qobuz. I suppose "high resolution audio" is one of its selling points, but the step diagram... really?
Popular science at its lowest.

I tend to ignore such nonsense but of course that contributes to manifesting a wrong belief and then we have new members coming here fighting us over that nonsense.

Haskil

Forum Donor
The only original merit of Qobuz is to have been the first to offer recordings in uncompressed PCM format for streaming and sale... and to have banned MP3 and AAC.

Its great merit is also to provide the PDF of the record booklets and not just the cover photo... when the publisher provides it...

its other merit is to have refused the MQA from the start... But its big flaw is to only offer very very very few multichannel recordings even when they are available from the publisher...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Qobuz' biggest challenge is cornering the audiophile crowd (it is one of only 2 services to integrate into Roon after all- the audiophile player of choice)

Its second biggest challenge, and possibly its biggest risk, is that its existing subs will realise there is no mileage in greater than redbook. At which point its in a race to the bottom with Tidal. Which neither can win as Amazon scooped that prize ages ago.

LouB

Qobuz' biggest challenge is cornering the audiophile crowd (it is one of only 2 services to integrate into Roon after all- the audiophile player of choice)

Its second biggest challenge, and possibly its biggest risk, is that its existing subs will realise there is no mileage in greater than redbook. At which point its in a race to the bottom with Tidal. Which neither can win as Amazon scooped that prize ages ago.
That may be one way to see it. But I don't think Qobuz is out to corner anything they are competing & are not naive enough to try overtake Amazon. For myself & a lot of other Qobuz customers it was about not using Amazon, good pricing, good user interface & great content. Just an FYI the "High Resolution" sounds just like the rest of there content but everybody here probably already knows this.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But I don't think Qobuz is out to corner anything they are competing & are not naive enough to try overtake Amazon
Pretty sure that isnt what I said regarding Amazon .

Barrelhouse Solly

I read the magazine, once. That was enough. Don't read the gear reviews. I'm nearing the end of my trial period and I think I'm going to stick with it. It's a little more expensive than Amazon but has more of the music I'm interested in--classical, jazz, pre-WWII blues and jazz--and a better search.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1706979960215.png

Dear Qobuz: Just stop it. Who is the member from Qobuz again?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon's app sucked when I tested it and music was continuously disappearing. Qobuz annual subscription is very close in price and offers more stability. Qobuz works with Audirvana while Amazon does not. Audirvana has so many cool ways to integrate my ripped music with my on-line listening - ALL from one screen. I can't imagine not using the Audirvana Qobuz combination for my main listening. I have a Wiim and its app supports Amazon but the control and integration doesn't come close to Audirvana. Audirvana can control the Wiim puck without its app which works well too. Either using a MBP with Audirvana straight to the RME ADI-2 or thru a Wiim mini optical out to DAC using Audirvana and Qobuz offers the feature set I want. I tried playing my music with other apps but always missed the control and ease of use Audirvana offers.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 347066

Dear Qobuz: Just stop it. Who is the member from Qobuz again?
Same image is also there when you click on "Discover Plans" button on the main page. Looks like Qobuz is one of those companies who would not shy away from misleading people with false information in a feebable attempt to create differentiation. Good to know.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Dear Qobuz: Just stop it.

So can anyone suggest a simple graphic that conveys the difference between low sample rate / low bit depth and high sample rate / high bit depth together with lossy/lossless compression that is both scientifically accurate and can be grokked at a glance by a non-technical (and possibly indifferent) viewer?

jcarys

This is just pretty generic marketing material, very similar to what the Hires association produces. It's fine for casual listeners who haven't studied the concepts at all.

I have just tried (again) a free month of Qobuz to see if anything has changed since the last time. Played back on my computer it's fantastic. In fact, I prefer it to Tidal because of the better information and metadata on classical releases. Unfortunately there is still no app for Android TV, and that's where I would prefer to play music in my home theater. My experience with Amazon was similar to amper42. It's great on a Fire stick, but is degraded just about everywhere else. So for me the streaming decision comes down to user friendly apps and availability, once the sound quality is of equal quality.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pierre Qobuz are you reading this. Love using Qobuz for its music selection and integration with Roon so stop this tomfoolery. Wish I could get podcasts.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So can anyone suggest a simple graphic that conveys the difference between low sample rate / low bit depth and high sample rate / high bit depth together with lossy/lossless compression that is both scientifically accurate and can be grokked at a glance by a non-technical (and possibly indifferent) viewer?
Sure, how's this?
Clipboard04.jpg

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fine for casual listeners who haven't studied the concepts at all.
It’s deceptive marketing. Not “fine”

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The image of the (unfiltered) MP3 is not correct. It's showing a lower sample rate than the CD which is possible but not required. Almost all MP3s that were ripped from CD have the original 44.1kHz sample rate, no matter the bitrate.

MP3 is of course lossy and it doesn't store individual samples, but the sample rate can go up to 48kHz (that's the maximum for MP3). It uses floating point so it has more than 16-bits of dynamic range. Dynamic range is not one of it's limitations. MP3 is also very good with pure sine waves so it should look virtually identical to the CD-quality version.

...I've mentioned this here before, but once I hooked-up an oscilloscope to a soundcard and I was SHOCKED to see an unfiltered stair-stepped waveform (from this particular soundcard). I'd never heard anything wrong, but then I realized that the harmonics are above the audible range.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
;) ;) ;)
cd_v_hires.jpg

Top Bottom