• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Real Cure for Tinnitus

D

Deleted member 48726

I thought tinnitus is caused by an absence of signal for that frequency due to hearing loss.
The ear/brain combination has some auto gain control that is now unable to work for these frequencies.
Could be the gain is then turned up so hign we end up hearing a noise/tone for that band of the spectrum.
LOL -That's an ASR description! :p

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I was a kid, I could always tell if a TV was on in a room without even looking. More of a sensation than a distinct tone in my case.
I could hear the flyback transformer distinctly when I walked into the house, if someone left the TV or TV monitor on with no signal. Up till my early 30s for sure, due to age of my kids. That's 15.734 kHz. Developing a oscillator a few years ago, it was pretty shocking for me to realize how fast my hearing drops off as I get up in that area now (66 in a few days) :p

D

Deleted member 48726

I could hear the flyback transformer distinctly when I walked into the house, if someone left the TV or TV monitor on with no signal. Up till my early 30s for sure, due to age of my kids. That's 15.734 kHz. Developing a oscillator a few years ago, it was pretty shocking for me to realize how fast my hearing drops off as I get up in that area now (66 in a few days) :p
Yeah, old tv's high frequency noise actually deterred me from watching too much tv when I was a kid. I found it uncomfortable. Nowadays I still have the same issue being around VLT's / frequency converters.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We had these humungous shielded chambers for mil-testing, AC input 400Hz had to be heavily filtered (two-men lift, 6ft CM/DM filter-banks on all phases, etc.).
Any >10Amps of DUT load inside would set the whole EMI enclosure into a loud echo-chamber. I learned a lot about power-factor correction filters and very quickly.:facepalm:
We had to send our special technician talent elsewhere in the company, while a frantic (and very costly) 3-week procurement effort fixed the 'problem' (I somehow got credit).
I used to be more pitch-perfect (around 400Hz) than a dolphin.:rolleyes:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think my hearing is doing fine and I am even apprehensive to take a trip to audiologist or to get testing done.
"Yes, Mr. pseudoid, tests indicate you will need a nip-n-tuck, as your hearing is degrading!"

I have never been fully sure why I always thought that I'd rather have my eyesight go wonky than my hearing.
I did not even know that Helen Keller had already delivered her verdict on this perplexing question in a 1910 letter:
"The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important, than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus - the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir and keeps us in the intellectual company of man.
This comes from a Journal review ('Into the Depths of Silence' by Ms.Pierson) of the new book "Losing Music" (by John Cotter).
Book apparently also includes discussions on Meniere's and Tinnitus...
Review quotes some interesting concepts (eyesight/hearing).
"Who do you fight when the enemy is you?" and
"As a child I was afraid of dark houses. Now I am more afraid of my own body - I'm the haunted house."

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is a constant tone around 8,800Hz. Sometimes loud, sometimes quiet, and always noticeable.
Mine is mix of tones centered around perhaps 5 or 6 kHz. Mine is always there though I can ignore it most of time. I've had the problem for maybe 55 years, perhaps it's gotten slightly worse over the years. I suspect it was the result of shooting at an indoor range without adequate ear protection.

DavidMcRoy

Maybe. I haven't read up on it but by memory I think it's the small hairs inside the inner ear ( the conch shell??) that break off or get damaged. -Or is that hearing loss?
A leading cause of hearing loss in older adult males is indeed the failure of the body to replace tiny hairs in the ear which resonate in compliance with frequencies roughly above 8kHz, if I recall correctly. This kind of hearing loss isn't so common in women, and its severity can vary among males. I could still hear up to 17kHz less thanks 10 years ago and now it stops at about 14kHz. Some 66 year-olds do better or worse.

holbob

You hear a lot better than me and I'm 47. You must have looked after your hearing very well!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This may be OT:
I have an old HS buddy (@the other coast) who goes regularly for 'earwax-removal'.:oops:

What is the real purpose of earwax?
Is it like Mobil1 for the ears, the cochlea and/or hearing?
Why do some get plenty and others not so much (=me)?
Is it better or worse for tinnitus?

DavidMcRoy

You hear a lot better than me and I'm 47. You must have looked after your hearing very well!
I have. I worked in broadcasting so audio was key to my livelihood, and I was the guy with earplugs, or in a pinch a rolled up tissue in his ears at concerts and dance clubs. Yet, I have tinnitus that's possibly work-related from the TV production environment. None of that had anything to do with relatively low ear hair loss, though. Probably DNA.

DavidMcRoy

This may be OT:
I have an old HS buddy (@the other coast) who goes regularly for 'earwax-removal'.:oops:

What is the real purpose of earwax?
Is it like Mobil1 for the ears, the cochlea and/or hearing?
Why do some get plenty and others not so much (=me)?
Is it better or worse for tinnitus?
I had an "episode" a couple of years ago when I was losing high-frequency hearing in my right ear. My physician husband diagnosed ear wax and used a big syringe to blast it out with warm tap water. Sometimes asevere head cold can bring on temporary hearing issues in one ear or both.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an "episode" a couple of years ago when I was losing high-frequency hearing in my right ear. My physician husband diagnosed ear wax and used a big syringe to blast it out with warm tap water.
I had been advised by my peers at work that I am listening to music with the high frequency too boosted. I went to the doctor immediately and he did the same set the exact correct temperature of water with a thermometer and then blasted me and it was a rush. :D

DavidMcRoy

I had been advised by my peers at work that I am listening to music with the high frequency too boosted. I went to the doctor immediately and he did the same set the exact correct temperature of water with a thermometer and then blasted me and it was a rush. :D
About 30 years ago I noticed that my lifelong friend and mentor in broadcast engineering was adjusting the video on his home TV set with tons of contrast and a bluish white balance/grayscale. Knowing that he knew better, I suggested that he might have developed cataracts. Then, he was diagnosed with cataracts by his physician.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About 30 years ago I noticed that my lifelong friend and mentor in broadcast engineering was adjusting the video on his home TV set with tons of contrast and a bluish white balance/grayscale. Knowing that he knew better, I suggested that he might have developed cataracts. Then, he was diagnosed with cataracts by his physician.
Wow... That's a wild thing to happen.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just had cataract surgery, and the difference in colour is really surprising me, things are much less warm, and cleaner.

gags

I have an Android phone app called MyNoise which has a neuromodulator tinnitus preset. I've found it works pretty well if used regularly (i.e., earbuds while sleeping, set to the threshold if audibilty).

They also have a web site if you want to try it out first:
Mynoise.net

I’ve got the iPhone version of that app. Not quite used it in the same way but for T relief most of the time none the less.

The quality of the sounds is really excellent.

gags

Mine comes and goes as well. If I'm busy at work and haven't slept proper in a couple of days the tone volume is louder. So it isn't just that the small hairs have broken off or damaged. More must be at play..

I came across the idea that it’s akin to how we respond to pain.

We are able to cope with pain better with different mindsets when compared to others and it is suggested that our experience to T is the same.

Stress, for some, lowers the resilience but we experience it the opposite way. The sound getting louder.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Interesting article..

tone-data-chart-1-1.png

Top Bottom