• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Having been taught in Europe and then in the US, I grew up on metric and then had to convert to (ahem) British Imperial system. I can certainly vouch for how ridiculous that latter one really is in comparison.

But mathematical convention of operation precedence is a necessity in any complex mathematical treatment. Just imagine how complex and unreadable the following simple and elegant equation would be if you had to add parenthesis around every single operator:

3db6e6d365155b574e296603df39148c.jpg
The result is 42, right?

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
state is the verb here.
surely you have forgotten then ;-) after all, don't calculators solve it that way, without any brackets...?
I find it very sad that people don't know this; moreover bringing it to the same level as metric vs imperial is totally a joke... but since we are on the funniest thread, maybe it's just me taking it too seriously... I do love mathematics, and its elegance. And its rules!
Please Nutty, how are people supposed to know how calculators solve anything?
I don't understand how, following the pressing of a few switches, glorious wonderful music fills this room!
Okay, you got me, Bach J.S. is math! :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Philbo King

Having been taught in Europe and then in the US, I grew up on metric and then had to convert to (ahem) British Imperial system. I can certainly vouch for how ridiculous that latter one really is in comparison.

But mathematical convention of operation precedence is a necessity in any complex mathematical treatment. Just imagine how complex and unreadable the following simple and elegant equation would be if you had to add parenthesis around every single operator:

3db6e6d365155b574e296603df39148c.jpg
Laplace equation for the standard particle model? Yikes

D

Deleted member 21219

And a few from the web ...

“U2's lawyers work pro Bono.”
Shmuel Breban

“Jazz isn’t dead. It just smells funny.”
Frank Zappa

“Let me be clear about this: I don’t have a drug problem; I have a police problem.”
Keith Richards

“He has Van Gogh’s ear for music.”
Billy Wilder’s quip about actor Cliff Ormond

Q: “What’s the difference between a conductor and God?”
A: “God doesn’t think he’s a conductor.”

“Playing bop is like Scrabble with all the vowels missing."
Duke Ellington

Top Bottom