• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

Anthony LoFi

Im sorry but this cracked me up.

Farting.png

If its inappropriate. sorry ......... and will understand if you ban me.

Andreas007

It is Eco-theater. Makes you feel like something important was accomplished when nothing much has happened. Yes sounds like a big amount of plastic saved, but in context a rounding error. I did the same calculation in IAtaman's post.

The original post about plastic was humorous for just that reason. Your plastic bag holds enough plastic in your purchased items for several dozen plastic bags. It's a ridiculously funny thing to do to then refuse giving you a plastic bag.
I guess both views have validity. So maybe we should relax a bit.

Looking at the total amount of plastics in use the bags are surely neglible.
And having a mindset not to produce unneccessary waste is also ok.
In my opinion the point is to use plastics when it is reasonable and to avoid them when it is not reasonable. It is quite that simple.

Besides that, the topic is more complex - as always - than it seems.
Where does the plastic end up? What kind of plastic is the bag made of? Is it reusable or being burned to generate heat? Do people re-use/dispose of properly? Or does it end up in your garden? How long does it serve it’s purpose (one of the main criticisms of plastic bag use)? How to judge environmental impact - by weight, volume or surface area of the plastics? Etc.

And guess what, I have a degree in plastic engineering and I nevertheless prefer reusable bags made of textile. They can hold more weight more securely and simply have more style. But, I also have some plastic bags, because sometimes they are more suitable. :D

Top Bottom