• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Call For Humor!

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1687222633969.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes :eek: but on a sligly serious note , we in the west usually miss understanding or are ignorant about Asian history ( myself included it’s a missing part in my education )

But it’s also the same the other way around , I was at a bar in South Korea ( Pusan ) once with that same “special theme” on their interior decorations :oops::facepalm: it was no I’ll intentions it probably looked cool to them .
But they simple could not get that it could be very offensive for most normal folks from Europe.
We had to take our coats and leave after one drink , we sort of could not focus anything but their choice of decor..
We went in because we got curious “wtf is this”

I googled the bar after protest from many people they renamed the place in 2003
Do not klick the link if the topic is sensitive to you.
Bar in s.korea

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yes :eek: but on a sligly serious note , we in the west usually miss understanding or are ignorant about Asian history ( myself included it’s a missing part in my education )

But it’s also the same the other way around , I was at a bar in South Korea ( Pusan ) once with that same “special theme” on their interior decorations :oops::facepalm: it was no I’ll intentions it probably looked cool to them .
But they simple could not get that it could be very offensive for most normal folks from Europe.
We had to take our coats and leave after one drink , we sort of could not focus anything but their choice of decor..
We went in because we got curious “wtf is this”

I googled the bar after protest from many people they renamed the place in 2003
Do not klick the link if the topic is sensitive to you.
Bar in s.korea

Yes, I get that. When I was walking around a night market in Kuala Lumpur, I came across a T-shirt with a giant Nazi swastika. I was shocked and I wondered who would make and sell something like that. I get that anti-Zionism sentiment is very high in Malaysia, but I didn't think that would make some people sympathize with Nazis. So many unanswered questions ...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
One must take care in areas of the world affected by the culture of the Indian subcontinent. Sometimes, things are not what they seem.

Jim

Yup. I was born in Malaysia so I know what a Buddhist / Hindu swastika looks like. I assure you that I know what a Nazi swastika looks like when I see one :)

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One must take care in areas of the world affected by the culture of the Indian subcontinent. Sometimes, things are not what they seem.

Jim
Not just in the Indian subcontinent. Right here in the United States as well. The symbol was (probably still is) important to certain Native American groups. The State of Arizona used to have a big black swatika printed on their highway designation signs. The U.S. Army 45th Infantry Division also used the swastika on its unit patch up until WWII, though it was yellow on a red background.

Top Bottom