• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

700€ for SB-2000 or 1100€ for SB-2000 Pro

PingWine

In my country the original SB-2000 is on sale for 700€, normally 900€. Should I go with it or would it be worth it to just buy the SB-2000 Pro for 1100?

One thing to consider is that if I buy SB-2000 now, I will probably not be able to buy a second one that's identical to pair it as I currently don't have the money and/or space for two.

What would you guys do? Is the performance difference drastic enough to warrant the extra price difference?

LearningToSmile

What would you guys do? Is the performance difference drastic enough to warrant the extra price difference?
No, the main difference is the DSP functionality/connectivity. The non-pro version also has the old steel grill, pro has the new cloth one. At current prices SB-2000 is a steal. Theoretically the new amplifier is a bit more powerful, but in practice you can see for yourself:
1606130903296.png

Also, I don't think you'll have any problems getting a second one in the future - just recently I bought an even older SVS subwoofer(the model that was replaced by SB-2000) as new old stock, and they're STILL available new.

OP
PingWine

PingWine

No, the main difference is the DSP functionality/connectivity. The non-pro version also has the old steel grill, pro has the new cloth one. At current prices SB-2000 is a steal. Theoretically the new amplifier is a bit more powerful, but in practice you can see for yourself:
View attachment 95249

Also, I don't think you'll have any problems getting a second one in the future - just recently I bought an even older SVS subwoofer(the model that was replaced by SB-2000) as new old stock, and they're STILL available new.
Where did you find that data :0
But thanks! I didn't know the differences were that miniscule

LearningToSmile

Where did you find that data :0
But thanks! I didn't know the differences were that miniscule
It's a spreadsheet with Brent Butterworth's subwoofer measurements that's been posted a few times on the forum before: link

Between this and data-bass you can get a pretty good picture how different subwoofers perform.

OP
PingWine

PingWine

It's a spreadsheet with Brent Butterworth's subwoofer measurements that's been posted a few times on the forum before: link

Between this and data-bass you can get a pretty good picture how different subwoofers perform.
I'm just confused because I saw Audioholics praising the SB-2000 Pro to be much better than SB-2000. Also I couldn't find group delay measurements for SB-2000 anywhere so I'd love to see if you know any resources for those.

I don't understand why companies won't provide group delay measurements with their products. Neumann seems to be one of the only ones to provide them. Even Genelec didn't provide the data when asked. They only redirected me to a AES research paper which funnily enough focuses on the audability of group delay for over 300Hz. Not too useful for subwoofers.

Top Bottom