• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro-Ject Classic SB problem - Help requested

LameImpala

I found a Pro-Ject Classic SB on marketplace that will not turn on. I have torn the thing apart and have two PCB's, one for power (15V), which is connected via 5 pin female to female cable to the SB (Speed Board) PCB. From the Power board, there is a 4 pin connector that goes to the motor. Nothing appears to be outwardly broken, but the thing will just not turn on. The fuse in the below picture appears to be good, as well.

I have ordered and received a brand new SB, but still nothing when plugged into the wall wart. I did test the wall wart on another turntable and it works fine. My next venture is to buy a replacement power board, but it's on backorder.

My question for those that may be familiar with these PCB's, is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot the issue here? I don't have a good setup for testing PCB's, as I only have a multimeter, nothing more sophisticated. I'm assuming that is what I would need in order to truly diagnose these boards?

IMG_6750.jpeg
IMG_6693.jpeg
IMG_6751.jpeg
IMG_6743.jpeg
IMG_6752 2.jpeg

OP
L

LameImpala

I've now replaced all three parts and the power supply, still doesn't work. I have no idea what's going on with this thing. The turntable says it's 15V DC, but I've read a few posts about trying an AC power adapter. Is it possible the new motor is 15VAC?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I have asked the question there too. I'm just surprised no one else has opened their Classic's. Maybe they didn't sell that well, lol. Now I know why :)
Project community or support forum?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There aren't alot that I have found. The best one is vinyengine and I don't have a way to register on there because of he that shall not be named, lol
Change the fuse anyway and stop blowing money until you get good advice. Call for @restorer-john

Top Bottom