• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadguy

Holy cow! I'm blown away someone here ordered those speakers! Just on the size and looks/concept alone I'd love to hear them, but your description adds to the desire. Nowhere I know to hear them in Toronto, though. (And if there was, I wouldn't want to pretend I was going to buy them to hear them. If an audio store had no problem cranking them up for someone just to hear them, then I'd take up that offer).
Capital Sound in Ottawa has the Klipsch Jubilee for sale. $56,000 CAD.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Capital Sound in Ottawa has the Klipsch Jubilee for sale. $56,000 CAD.

Yup.

If there's one thing we Canucks can envy, it's American pricing vs what we tend to pay.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect anyone with a history of visiting brick-and-mortar shops would’ve seen a fair span of the spectrum in seller tactics.

The account of @MattHooper (IIRC?) of the dealer who gave the in-home audition while sitting between the speakers looking at the listener / prospective buyer, I’ll not forget the mental image that conjured. “

Yes that was me. And in fact I had an even worse audition experience with that same dealer! Dunno if I mentioned it too, but he had some flagship speakers by the same speaker designer that he said I "had to hear." But the only time I could hear them was in his bachelor pad attached to the store, late at night! And it happened to be a blistering summer heat wave. He was powering these big speakers, TRI-AMPED each one with big tube amps. So...6 tube amps operating...which had been on a long time "to make sure they were warmed up" in an extremely slovenly apartment, and he refused to turn on any air conditioning or open a door lest I miss the blackness of the noise floor. I literally at one point was soaked in sweat and felt about to pass out from heat stroke. I had to eventually abandon. That was in the late 90's or so.

But in the same speaker foraging project a few years ago that involved that Harbeth dealer, I had perhaps an even worse experience. I was auditioning some Audio Note speakers at one of the more snooty audio places. (Though some who work there are nice). I was left with a young salesman (might have been the owner's son IIRC), in a fairly small room, and he Just Would Not Shut Up as the speakers were playing. I mean, a lot worse than the guy I described earlier.
He just couldn't stop the sales patter "yes these sound like this, listen for this and that, we also have them in this, we are using only these cables because..."
Impossible to listen through. So I politely...and I mean as politely as I could possibly put it...asked "Is it possible I could have a bit of time alone listening to the speakers? I find I can usually concentrate better if that's ok."

Well, that dude immediately took the request as an insult apparently. He sort of snorted, got up, and left me in the room closing the door. I hear a conversation outside the door, he's clearly talking to the shop owner. Moments later the shop owner barges in, talking loudly, with a clearly aggrieved tone and expression, and pulls up a chair right near me, to monitor what I'm doing and spout off whenever he wanted to. Basically, he was doing a "So you want to listen alone huh? You don't tell my salesman to leave you alone. F*ck you buddy, I'm gonna sit right here and make it as uncomfortable as possible."

I was pretty much in disbelief. And...no... I didn't guy that guy's speakers.

By far the best high end salesmen I've met are the ones who can read a customer. Is this someone who isn't very knowledgeable or experienced and can use some sales help? Or is this someone who knows what he/she is looking for, has experience, and just needs to have some time alone listening to the product.

It is the salesmen who left me alone so I could sink in to the sound, who I would go back to and I was loyal with my business.

I also believe it was the smart salesmen who had no trouble letting someone like me listen to other gear in the store, even stuff more expensive than I said I could afford. That can plant the seed. In fact, I was actually successfully "upsold" at one place. I came in wanting a particular pair of monitors, auditioned them, liked them very much, but the salesman also set up the floor standing version. I said I couldn't afford those ones, he said no problem just enjoy. Well...I was smitten with them, and now I had to have THOSE speakers. And indeed, I saved up for quite a while and eventually purchase them. Smooth move by this fellow.

(Sorry MKR. The thread is 97 pages long...I figured it was ok to throw in another spicy dealer story or two...)

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the ultimate speaker... got to be Kii. I am considering them, but it's a lot of expense for perhaps 2% more enjoyment than I have as is... and only for a few recordings that I use a reference. And they are super modular to boot when it coms to adjusting them to future room sizes if there are changes.
I owned the Kiis 3-4 years or so. Excellent speakers - and I really miss the usability of them - but they aren't the ultimate speakers for me for a number of reasons.

Among them is the lack of capacity, high distortion due to cardioide, undamped cabinet and reliability concerns due to excessive heat production from 6 amplifiers in a small, unventilated enclosure.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I owned the Kiis 3-4 years or so. Excellent speakers - and I really miss the usability of them - but they aren't the ultimate speakers for me for a number of reasons.

Among them is the lack of capacity, high distortion due to cardioide, undamped cabinet and reliability concerns due to excessive heat production from 6 amplifiers in a small, unventilated enclosure.
@Absolute Gonna show my stupid here I am sure, but what do you mean by “high distortion with cardioid“?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Absolute Gonna show my stupid here I am sure, but what do you mean by “high distortion with cardioid“?
There will be interference from the back and side woofers to the front, meaning you'll need to drive the front firing woofer harder to compensate. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Distortion plots from Kii and Dutch shows the same behavior;

Kii THREE Harmonic Distortion (96dB @ 1m).pngDutch & Dutch 8c ---- Harmonic distortion (relative) @ 96dB1m.png

I assumed the Dutch would fare a little bit better due to a bigger mid-driver, but both show elevated levels of distortion. In my case I had to equalize the area between 100-300 a bit due to SBIR and saw pretty extreme distortion levels with the Kiis alone.
Kii distortion after audiolense LP.jpg

So I went ahead and bought some DIY subs to function as a poor man's BXT and this is the result when I crossed them over at 200 hz;

Distortion subs XO 200 hz.jpg

This is the reason @sigbergaudio went for high-capacity 10" mid driver in his upcoming Manta, I believe.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the reasons I've always wanted to hear the ME Geithain and their Cardioid design. Pity it's hard to audition short of blind puchase. This is the RL 901K which use a 16" bass. The larger ML 811K1 looks similar at higher dB.

Company Measurements
1677504707313.png

1677504724853.png

1677504746052.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Absolute I think you are wrong here actually.

I don't think the Kii has high distortion due to the cardioid dispersion, but simply because the drivers can't handle more. Not meant as criticsm as such, they're just not designed for high SPL.

I did not choose a 12" (not 10") in the Manta because of inherent distortion problems in cardioid designs, but because it would be great fun. :D The Manta was intentionally built to be over the top, and a statement product. Early prototypes didn't have cardioid loading of the 12" at all, and there was insignificant differences in distortion with/without cardioid.

Similar to the Geithan referenced by @JustJones above, the Manta has a THD below 0.5% @96dB across the frequency range.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think the Kii has high distortion due to the cardioid dispersion, but simply because the drivers can't handle more. Not meant as criticsm as such, they're just not designed for high SPL.

I did not choose a 12" (not 10") in the Manta because of inherent distortion problems in cardioid designs, but because it would be great fun. :D The Manta was intentionally built to be over the top, and a statement product. Early prototypes didn't have cardioid loading of the 12" at all, and there was insignificant differences in distortion with/without cardioid.

Similar to the Geithan referenced by @JustJones above, the Manta has a THD below 0.5% @96dB across the frequency range.
I still think I'm partly correct, because if I recall correctly there was about 1 % difference THD at 100 hz at 100 dB or so when you compared sealed vs cardioide? With a high capacity 12 inch I think that's indicative of something of the sort. But you are of course correct that a high capacity driver is something completely different from a cheap 6 inch. :D

Thank you for sharing and clarifying - and sorry I under-estimated with a couple of inches :eek:

Edit; I'm stupid so I forgot to take into account that once you go passive slots you practically go ported speaker. All my assumptions can go fickle themselves! Nothing to see here, move on.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Those are another speaker I've always followed and been interested in. Having Champagne tastes a on a beer budget keeps them as a fun speaker to admire. It seems to me speaker companies across the pond are much more interesting.

Da cynics

Klipsch Jubilee…
By the way, how much is this system that Mr @Bjorn has hinted at several times?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I still think I'm partly correct, because if I recall correctly there was about 1 % difference THD at 100 hz at 100 dB or so when you compared sealed vs cardioide? With a high capacity 12 inch I think that's indicative of something of the sort. But you are of course correct that a high capacity driver is something completely different from a cheap 6 inch. :D

Thank you for sharing and clarifying - and sorry I under-estimated with a couple of inches :eek:

Edit; I'm stupid so I forgot to take into account that once you go passive slots you practically go ported speaker. All my assumptions can go fickle themselves! Nothing to see here, move on.

I'm not sure we have enough data to conclude. Those measurements were done weeks apart, and not in an anechoic chamber but outside, and with an UMIK microphone that is known to add THD all by itself at these levels. So I suspect we may see just measurement errors. 100hz was also the only frequency that showed significant changes, and I agree that it stands to reason we have some loss there with holes in the enclosure. :)

Finally, in our design there will be significant overlap with the subwoofer(s) at 100hz, so the THD will in practice be way lower still at this frequency.

This was the result back then:
1677508109080.png

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry @MKR for all the derailment in your thread. Love for it to get back on track
You know by now this is ASR normal. Its especially embarassing when people with an agenda (products or beliefs) are here to ruin it for you

Draki

Even the Aeris plus Wavelet was very very good, just that the Trinnov took things to the next level. Again, I don’t think this was due to the processing difference necessarily (but could have been), but rather the DAC and preamp stages in the Trinnov are I am certain better engineered. Tough to know for certain what was going on there.

I didn't read in details all posts, so this may have been mentioned, but here it is anway.
The Wavelet is made by the Swedish Bohmer Audio.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two cases:

At a "passive" cardioid like the MEG you "lose" the level from the rear side of the woofer which you typically use for example at a bass reflex to give you extra SPL.

At an "active" cardioid like the Kii you "lose" the level from the extra cardioid woofers which you typically use for extra SPL.

In both you actually even use the rear output to eliminate the output coming to the rear and thus some sound power.

All such increase the relative harmonic distortion and result that large loudspeakers like the MEG 921K reach only 98dB in the bass, on the other hand you have less modal effect and especially dips at your listening position which make the perceived bass stronger.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you drive the Kii that close to their limit (which I can't imagine doing myself), they have the BXT solution, which prolly lets your drive things to dBs I wouldn't want to listen to (and prolly your ears wouldn't be able to detect any distortion at such volume levels anyhow).

Matt Bell

OK just a personal experience here, but I hope not cr@pping on the thread.

10 days ago I took delivery of a pair of JBL 4367s. They replaced their little siblings the JBL 4429s, which I’d been very happy with for five years or so. But you know …

I have to say the new speakers aren’t fully bedded in. Coincidentally the DSP unit I use for room EQ has just packed up, so I currently have unequalised bass — and inevitably it’s a bit lumpy.

But in other respects the new speakers are wonderful. Proper full range sound, great dynamics, very wide and precise soundstage, beautiful articulation.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Sorry @MKR for all the derailment in your thread. Love for it to get back on track
You know by now this is ASR normal. Its especially embarassing when people with an agenda (products or beliefs) are here to ruin it for you
All good, this discussion on cardioid and distortion is relevant, not to mention I am the one that asked a question about it :)

And I really don’t have anything new to report now anyway, so we may as well discuss something useful to all

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I didn't read in details all posts, so this may have been mentioned, but here it is anway.
The Wavelet is made by the Swedish Bohmer Audio.
Yup, it is basically a rebadged Bohmer (actually the Wavelet has a Bohmer sticker right on the front of it ;))

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If you drive the Kii that close to their limit (which I can't imagine doing myself), they have the BXT solution, which prolly lets your drive things to dBs I wouldn't want to listen to (and prolly your ears wouldn't be able to detect any distortion at such volume levels anyhow).
Overpriced with the BXT IMHO … you can obtain equal/better performance for less money (I am sure this will attract Keith, he has dog ears every time I say something even a bit negative about Kii :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom