• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes I agree. It’s all converging to that point.

Which is why given the dimensions of OP’s room I wonder why he has not gone to the Harman experience center yet to audition the JBL M2. That would be where all my pointers would be pointing for highest probability of suitable fit for his space.

Plenty of time to go and get that cheap insurance before dropping $20k unless the goal is to get everything sent home and listen and then send back what didn’t work.

A good chunk of the budget would be spent on that and it’s okay because it’s buying “peace of mind”. The ultimate. Listening to each in your own space. Nothing can beat that.
Will be auditioning the M2 alongside (literally) the Salon 2 at this particular dealer ;) (dealer for full Harman line)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Lol, does this shop have just as good a deal on a set of Studio 2's, as well? I might be persuaded to take a road trip!
I am sorry to say that the Studio 2s, unlike the Salon 2s, are truly discontinued and have been for some time now :( ... However, if anyone could help you track down a pair, or maybe have access to some A or B stock (or maybe even be aware of a used pair), they probably would!

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am sorry to say that the Studio 2s, unlike the Salon 2s, are truly discontinued and have been for some time now :( ... However, if anyone could help you track down a pair, or maybe have access to some A or B stock (or maybe even be aware of a used pair), they probably would!
There’s a pair in Arizona :D

TimW

Major Contributor
A HUGE thanks to all for your outstanding comments and advice. Felt like I was visiting a (good) psychologist and you all did well to analyze my psychotic behavior :p !

UPDATE on the situation ... Long story short I will be able to audition before the purchase. Dealer taking a risk here to acquire the speakers WITHOUT my purchase commitment, which I really appreciate. Note this dealer has a stellar reputation, so none of this is surprising (not to me anyway). So, I will be taking an audition trip in next 2-3 weeks, and as the dealer is located in a larger metro area, I will also be auditioning other speakers at other dealers while I am there. Getting back to that "peace of mind" track :).

Thanks again all for your great counsel and words of encouragement, this forum truly is the best on the net for those seeking help to find their true audio nirvana.

More to come ...
Sounds like a fun trip! I hope you're able to enjoy it and avoid stress.

Reactions: MKR

MarcT

Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have a single one available.

RobL

Thanks, those look great but no price given in the listing, unless I missed it.
I checked with the seller, Studio’s are sold. He’s got a pretty smokin’ deal on some mahogany Salon 2’s and F328’s though

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Will be auditioning the M2 alongside (literally) the Salon 2 at this particular dealer ;) (dealer for full Harman line)
That's amazing! Has he optimized both systems? Or can he to suit your preferences?

I only ask because the M2 can sound a bit bright to some listeners out of the box (myself included). In fact, at least one line of Harman's BSS processors apparently comes with an added filter to lower the high frequency level that's not included in the crown amplifier tunings (they're all fully EQable out of the box so no big deal).

And I'm not convinced the Salon 2's I was able to hear were setup optimally for bass response, which may have improved my perception of them.

Really hoping you get the hear them both at their best!

Edit: I hope you get to hear ALL of the speakers you demo at their best

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
CooL! Make sure you test those controls and don't listen to it as flat. Nobody wants flat when listening long term. Really? Anybody want flat or PEQ? j/k. :D

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
That's amazing! Has he optimized both systems? Or can he to suit your preferences?

I only ask because the M2 can sound a bit bright to some listeners out of the box (myself included). In fact, at least one line of Harman's BSS processors apparently comes with an added filter to lower the high frequency level that's not included in the crown amplifier tunings (they're all fully EQable out of the box so no big deal).

And I'm not convinced the Salon 2's I was able to hear were setup optimally for bass response, which may have improved my perception of them.

Really hoping you get the hear them both at their best!

Edit: I hope you get to hear ALL of the speakers you demo at their best
They are optimized for sure ... He runs everything through an SDP75 ;-)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are optimized for sure ... He runs everything through an SDP75 ;-)
? One of these?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. I would go for even more high current and in the $10K +/- range. so that the amp is in the range of your purchase price. This is out of the range of the system price? If using the M2 then the complimentary Crown amp is best anyway?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Go listen to them before stating what you will mix and match in different setups. Don’t listen to people who does not own or some have even not heard these speakers / combos.
When you go for the Genelec demos I recommend you to listen to these combinations when it comes to the ”ones”
- 8361 as a set
- 8361 with a sub(s)
- 8351 + W371

I would say that it is a waste of money to buy w371a if you are planning for subwoofers. They won’t make you any happier in a stereo-system together with subs, just more headache to get it to work properly in a room.
So listen to the systems and evaluate.

And if you find that you are missing that car audio sub-bass when listening to w371a system. Go and find a KiiThree+BXT system and listen to that as well.
Thanks, appreciate the advice … Kii3+BXT dropped from the list due to SPL concerns in my listening space. With that said, if I stumble upon an opportune situation to audition the Kiis, I will certainly do so!

Elitzur–Vaidman

I have high confidence I will very much like (probably love, at least based upon my research) the Salon 2s. But at the same time I absolutely abhor buyer's remorse, hence the reasons for the auditions ... of course after having the Salon 2s if I never listen to another speaker again then no buyer's remorse :cool:

By the way, I would also acquire a brand new Voice 2 as part of this deal (for the home theater aspect of course :))
With Salon 2s as FR+FL and a Voice 2 as C, you could use your JBL 580s as some killer rear L+R speakers for a fully Harmon surround setup.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
With Salon 2s as FR+FL and a Voice 2 as C, you could use your JBL 580s as some killer rear L+R speakers for a fully Harmon surround setup.
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking same … use the JBLs for rears (and I have the 590s by the way, not the 580s ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom