• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve59

Major Contributor
That’s silly. It depends on the song and genre.

Depends on the quality too. I was happy with a pair of HomePods. I was happy with ls50w. But the genelecs just beg you to crank them up. Even more when you treat your room. Who knows what your satisfaction point is and with what? Might be lower or higher with the w371. Who knows? Probably you know because you know everything. Let me know boss.

Things change with the space. You know I moved from one space to another.

Things change with room treatment. I went from 0 to 45 panels.

Besides it’s not your money. You didn’t give it to me.
I find your experience similar to mine. It fascinates me how some music doesn't sound right until I get the volume right. I found your statement innocent enough and your explanation should be the end of if. now it's time for me to log off and listen to some music.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Well, as luck would have it (good or bad, not sure yet), I have been offered a great deal on a pair of brand new Salon 2s. The problem is there is some time pressure involved (no, the dealer is not being sleazy here, I fully understand reason for the time constraint, and it is legit, will not go into details on that here), and as a result I will need to commit WITHOUT actually auditioning the speakers (doesn't help I live in the middle of nowhere). So it is a major risk to be sure. Certainly has thrown a big wrench in my extensive audition plans. But the Revel 2 has always been one of my dream "end game" speakers (based purely upon research/reviews/measurements, not my own subjective listening session) and really struggling whether or not to jump in the deep end here or pass. Really tough call.

Anyone have any amazing wisdom to pass along? Or maybe some tomatoes to throw my way? (feel free, don't blame you, I am feeling nuts even considering this)

On a related note ... If anyone here that lives in northwest US (especially Montana) and owns Salon 2, and would be willing to have me over for an audition within the week, please send me a DM!

Thanks!

steve59

Major Contributor
Just that the time restraint is the only tool this person can use to get you to throw out your process and buy his product.

steve59

Major Contributor
If this deal was made for any of the other speakers on your list would you drop everything and buy them? If the answer is no then you would probably end up with the salon 2's anyhow, but if you answered yes you'd make the same deal with 1 or more pair of speakers on your list I think you should ignore the pressure tactic and continue your search. I promise you the deal you're getting will always be there.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just that the time restraint is the only tool this person can use to get you to throw out your process and buy his product.
Do you have first hand knowledge of this situation? If you don't, that seems a pretty presumptuous claim to make.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Agree, there will always be another deal. But if you buy them unheard, I suspect you’ll love them and never look back. And if you do look back, you may be able to sell them for a minimal loss and you can check one speaker off your audition list.

On the flip side, you were prepared to invest significant money in an audition tour to ensure you found the ideal speaker; given your willingness to spend money to get the right speaker for you, is the potential savings really worth short-changing yourself out of the enjoyment and peace of mind of the search?

Only you can answer that…

steve59

Major Contributor
First hand basics of the hard sell, yea. Why don't you read my response and take a couple seconds to consider it. I'm not telling him what to do, only take a step back from the 'hard sell' and consider how important his process is. I would give anybody the same advice buying a car, motorcycle, or anything else.

symphara

1) jump on an airplane, go listen to them? air fare is nothing vs $24k list price unless you always go private…
2) the time constraint is a negotiating tactic I’ve seen many times; if the seller has an actual constraint, the deal would have to be very, very good
3) unless the deal is unbelievably good value you should listen to them, just to minimize your loss in case you buy blind and want to resell; 2nd hand resell, likely to lose a lot

It’s not that I don’t expect them to be good. But will you love them? Will you think they were worth the large investment?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3. You will find lights come on in the most unexpected places. One is a regular YouTube talking head video. The other is Lionel Richie - “You Are”. Song starts at 83dB and it really can crank it up at some points. That got the 8361 + 7360 to clip. Obviously I need more midbass/bass power.
If the 8361 is crossed over at 80 hz and still clips in the midbass it sounds like there's a room correction software trying to fill in dips it shouldn't. The speaker will run out of power really fast if there's a multiple dB boost attempt.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Having watched @MKR throughout this thread, it’s obvious he has his act together and is capable of assessing the dealer and level of risk involved. I’m likewise sure he knows a really good deal when he sees one.

There’s really no such thing as a true end game speaker or any other component. We are talking here about a class of superb performing speakers, any one of which will be superb. Some may be more or less appealing to some people. With the right price, and assuming they are brand new, worst case you use them for a while and sell at little or no loss.

Newman

Major Contributor
But the Revel 2 has always been one of my dream "end game" speakers (based purely upon research/reviews/measurements, not my own subjective listening session) and really struggling whether or not to jump in the deep end here or pass. Really tough call.

Anyone have any amazing wisdom to pass along?
Maybe not “amazing wisdom”, but if you have a history of “hearing” sonic improvements that reviewers attribute to high-end gear, even when the gear is almost certainly audibly transparent, then you might have to face up to the fact that there will be no end game for you, as the Sighted Listening Effect will continue to have its effect on you as you watch the hobby move on from where you ‘End-Gamed’.

I’m not saying you do have such a history, I’m just saying that “if” you do, and let’s be honest it’s not uncommon in this hobby, then it will have an impact on your ability to experience long-term satisfaction.

A lot of us think we are here for the Grail, when we are actually here for the Search. Which is it for you? (A confronting question, to which the glib reply is always the Grail, but the honest, more considered answer might not be so.)

cheers

benanders

I’m very sorry but you are talking nonsense. Audio is science and in science we know (almost) everything. You buy a $30 SPL meter before spending $10,000 on kit.

I wish you all the best but I didn’t want to leave a post on ASR where it said “Nobody knows what SPL they want when they start.”

@sarumbear I mean no offense, just to clarify that “S” in ASR:

Your first claim is fully subjective.
Your second claim, as worded, is nonsense in error. ;)
Your third claim - buying a $30 SPL meter before spending $10,000 on kit - I could not agree with you more. Except that step is more common sense than science, and as such perhaps cannot be trained. :)

MarcT

Forum Donor
Very, very good ... so much so that I am sworn to secrecy ;)
Lol, does this shop have just as good a deal on a set of Studio 2's, as well? I might be persuaded to take a road trip!

dshreter

Very, very good ... so much so that I am sworn to secrecy ;)
I know speakers are expensive, but this isn't such a serious issue. Just buy them and enjoy them - if the speakers and the price are legit, there's nothing to regret. They're a known quantity and will sound great. Is it possible there's another speaker somewhere in the universe that you would prefer? Well it's entirely POSSIBLE, but who cares?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the 8361 is crossed over at 80 hz and still clips in the midbass it sounds like there's a room correction software trying to fill in dips it shouldn't. The speaker will run out of power really fast if there's a multiple dB boost attempt.
GLM is very good about not doing that. Also I do not try to manually “correct dips”.

In fact apart from a dip around 100Hz everything is actually cut. I also go in and manually cut about -6dB at my room modes. To clarify I am not trying to correct any high Q dip such as the one I have at 100Hz.

Pretty much any room needs massive cuts to be flat. I have massive +10dB room reinforcement along most of under 100Hz. So the correction actually cuts a lot.

I think I might be listening a bit too loudly on some songs.

Though now GLM can apply a gentle slope of up to +3dB on certain bands. But it will warn you if you add too much in the curve profile and the total is +6dB or more in any band.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know speakers are expensive, but this isn't such a serious issue. Just buy them and enjoy them - if the speakers and the price are legit, there's nothing to regret. They're a known quantity and will sound great. Is it possible there's another speaker somewhere in the universe that you would prefer? Well it's entirely POSSIBLE, but who cares?
I feel more like this to be honest. You never know until it’s in your space. Might as well take the dive I guess unless your kids’ education is at stake. Haha

Yes this is a science but it’s not a pure science. It is an applied science. Any engineer will tell you what they do is as much art as it is science. That’s what separates the new grad from an experienced engineer.

There is only one way to know.

But if you know for sure you need higher levels then horns are your friend.

bo_knows

Right, it's not a life-and-death situation. It's just speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom