• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec 8361A plus W371A. Smooth dispersion, high SPL for home playback, 20-20khz performance and the only one to have room correction in the package.

Of course multiple subwoofers placed throughout the room to even out the excitation of room modes is ideal, but it is also a challenging and esoteric set up that demands a fair bit from the end user in procuring upstream equipment with the right I/O and operating advanced software like REW/Acourate.

Among the passives I would go with the Blade Two Meta for being just such a refreshing take on loudspeaker design that makes real improvements on previous speaker design formats.

If a more conventional look is desired the Magico A5 is the ticket, and also has a warmer signature while remaining smooth.

The Vivid is wonderful but really of a different, smaller, size class than the Blade or A5. The Kaya 90 is of a more comparable size class to the KEF.

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I'll go for the Kii three with BXT if I had the money, I heard these in a smaller room and then there was definetely too much energy in the low end (just the Kii three were brilliant in that room) but with your room size go for the BXT also.

2nd up Grimm audio LS1be + SB1 subwoofers, a bit more analytical then the Kii three but the advantage is that the subwoofers can be placed separate from the speakers , something Grimm advices nowadays. (for me the shape of the LS1 doesn't work but that's just my preference)

For the passives I only heard the Kef Blade Meta and these would definitely be on my shortlist if I had the space and the money.

I heard Magico M2 and it sounded very good but not 3,5x Kef Blade Meta (I prefer the KEF over the Magico), ofcourse different times, different rooms but the Magico's were in a room heavy with treatment and the Kef were in a room with modest treatment.

Good luck with the search, try to audition as much loudspeakers as possible.
ASR is a good source to point you in the right direction but in the end it's your own preference.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Genelec 8361A plus W371A. Smooth dispersion, high SPL for home playback, 20-20khz performance and the only one to have room correction in the package.

Of course multiple subwoofers placed throughout the room to even out the excitation of room modes is ideal, but it is also a challenging and esoteric set up that demands a fair bit from the end user in procuring upstream equipment with the right I/O and operating advanced software like REW/Acourate.

Among the passives I would go with the Blade Two Meta for being just such a refreshing take on loudspeaker design that makes real improvements on previous speaker design formats.

If a more conventional look is desired the Magico A5 is the ticket, and also has a warmer signature while remaining smooth.

The Vivid is wonderful but really of a different, smaller, size class than the Blade or A5. The Kaya 90 is of a more comparable size class to the KEF.
8361+w371+ a couple of subs for 20-20kHz that’s how Genelec demonstrate them, both Kii and the 8Cs have peq built in.
Keith

sajgre

My only advice would be to try to listen to as many as you can. SPL numbers don't mean that much until you hear speaker play. I heard 8c fill up huge room with ease and it was louder than I would ever listen.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What stands out to me about your list is this: The Wisdom Audio speakers, Genesis Prime system, and Linkwitz Orion speakers are ALL dipoles. That's three out of your top six. None of the speakers in your first post are dipolar or dipolar-like, in my opinion. Imo there are worthwhile things a good dipole speaker does better than conventional speakers. Considering how rare dipole and dipole-like speakers are, the fact that half of the speakers on your "best I have ever heard" list are dipoles indicates you like something about them too.
Great point. @MKR consider adding the Linkwitz LX521 to your list (may Seigfried rest in peace). They are a very well engineered expression of the dipole approach. There are prebuilt options with amplification and crossovers available for within your budget: https://linkwitz.store/product/lx521/

You should add two good quality subs to add SPL and even out response between 20-40Hz if you go for that option. The dipole bass is amazing but it has its limits once you go really low. My LXSub4 units (same as for the LX521) have a sharp 30Hz highpass to stop them bottoming out during movies and my room is half the volume of yours.

LuvTheMusic

You didn't say what kind of sound you prefer. Do you like more forward presentation or recessed? Do you prefer accuracy over 'sweetness'? etc, etc.

Without knowing further, I can vouch for the KEF Blade 2 meta. They should play well your room. (I am a happy non-meta owner.) If you are spending that amount of money, don't you also want a pair of cool-looking speakers, potentially with an interesting color? I don't know your room decor preference, but they probably fit in better with modern decor.

Outside of your list, an interesting option is Legacy Aeris (https://legacyaudio.com/products/view/aeris). They are efficient, can go down to about 20hz and can play very loud. And yet, its sound can be very detailed and relaxed. The mids and highs are actually open air dipole, not your typical box speakers. The bass has its own 1000w amp, so you can dedicate your own electronics to the mids and highs (did I say they can play loud? :)). I've heard and owned various Legacy speakers and was always impressed by their sound.

Have fun shopping.

Another vote for checking out the Legacy Aeris for the reasons that sdrichard gives, not to mention that they are extraordinarily good looking speakers.

gnarly

Major Contributor
I do like loud for sure :) ...
If you want to take the combination of loud clarity, dynamic's, and strong bass, to a level seldom (if ever) found in home audio....
Given your budget, i'd suggest a pair of Meyer X-40 speakers, and a pair of either 750-LFC or 900-LFC subs. They are all self powered, plug and play so to speak.

They will leave little, if anything, on the table vs the best home/studio audio speakers with regard to SQ.
And add a sense of realism and excitement that comes from higher SPL & headroom capability that stays linear across the spectrum.

Your room is plenty big enough to accommodate them, and just wait till you set them up outside for a good listen or a party!!!!!!!!!!
A strong system like this taken outdoors, will probably totally redefine your idea of what clarity is .... or rather, give insight on how much even the best rooms detract. (at least that's been my experience)

X-40 datasheet: https://meyersound.com/download/ultra-x40-42-datasheet/?wpdmdl=340532&masterkey=5cfaa473ad578
750 sub: https://meyersound.com/download/d-750-lfc-datasheet/?wpdmdl=209658&masterkey=5c3f8e35571e0
900 sub: https://meyersound.com/download/d-900-lfc-datasheet/?wpdmdl=2010&masterkey=58b9e69fa00ab (i'd get the 900 subs :))

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I also have to say that the Legacy speakers are top notch. But the pricing last I knew was up there. In my personal opinion, Legacy's are speakers that usually make a statement in a room. They are beautifully done (woodwork) and you never, ever have to say your sorry for owning Legacy's.

But there are so many expensive high end speakers out now, it makes for a tough decision. Good Luck and let us know what you decided to buy. Also, I agree with the others on here that room acoustics by a professional are far more important than the speakers. A great pair of $10,000 speakers in a well done room will blow away any other speakers at any cost. The room acoustics is that important.

12Many

Couple thoughts. Just because you have a big room does not always mean you need big speakers. I think your sitting distance to the speakers is still important. I would check out Wilson Audio. These are not small - full range floor standards, but the quality of the audio output is outstanding.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I guess in the world of audio, amateurs talk about more and more expensive speakers but professionals talk about room acoustics. This is an off shoot of amateur's talking weapons and professionals talking logistics in the military. Thought I would share. :)

bo_knows

Ok, I took the time to read thoroughly your post, and here's my recommendation.
So you are an audiophile and have exposure to vast hi-fi equipment and I will make an assumption you like speakers with the "audiophile" sound. You also have a large room that according to you will double as a home theater.
Well, here it is:

KEF Reference 5 meta!

It's an imposing gorgeous speaker with an impeccable finish. Even though I like and appreciate Blade shape, Reference 5 gives up nothing in the look department. You will not miss anything anymore. :)
There's a matching center channel speaker for the total package (IMHO, Blade will not visually integrate better with the reference center channel). The older version of the center channel speaker was measured here by Amir and it was considered to be the best measuring center channel so far. Reference 5 is just a vertical version of this speaker and I'm sure will measure similarly if not better. Also, it comes with different bass reflex ports that can alter the bass response in your room (Blade can't do that). The price will fit your budget and you will have money left for the center channel. You will be able to fiddle/mess with/change/upgrade your electronics as your heart desires. :);)

Oh btw, you can audition them at the local Magnolia/BestBuy store.

Attachments

• AWS_TEST.JPG
    AWS_TEST.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 236
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Couple thoughts. Just because you have a big room does not always mean you need big speakers. I think your sitting distance to the speakers is still important. I would check out Wilson Audio. These are not small - full range floor standards, but the quality of the audio output is outstanding.
Thanks, but NOT a fan of Wilson. Heard them many times, multiple models, and every time they make my ears bleed. Same goes for B&W

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you are an audiophile and have exposure to vast hi-fi equipment and I will make an assumption you like speakers with the "audiophile" sound. You also have a large room that according to you will double as a home theater.
Well, here it is:

KEF Reference 5 meta!

It's an imposing gorgeous speaker with an impeccable finish. Even though I like and appreciate Blade shape, Reference 5 gives up nothing in the look department. You will not miss anything anymore. :)
There's a matching center channel speaker for the total package (IMHO, Blade will not visually integrate better with the reference center channel). The older version of the center channel speaker was measured here by Amir and it was considered to be the best measuring center channel so far. Reference 5 is just a vertical version of this speaker and I'm sure will measure similarly if not better. Also, it comes with different bass reflex ports that can alter the bass response in your room (Blade can't do that). The price will fit your budget and you will have money left for the center channel. You will be able to fiddle/mess with/change/upgrade your electronics as your heart desires. :);)

The (pre-meta) Ref 5s were the best speakers I auditioned in my last round of high end audio shop listening.

puppet

Has Tom Danley moved any closer to his Signature Series release?

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Well, here it is:

KEF Reference 5 meta!

There's a matching center channel speaker for the total package (IMHO, Blade will not visually integrate better with the reference center channel). The older version of the center channel speaker was measured here by Amir and it was considered to be the best measuring center channel so far. Reference 5 is just a vertical version of this speaker and I'm sure will measure similarly if not better.

I'll second this, but also add on a pair of subwoofers for the very bottom octave and infrasonic effects.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Wilsons are to accurate sound reproduction as the Looney Tunes are to accurate cinematography. And I've heard them more times than I care to remember.
Agreed! Actually, IMHO, one of the most overrated (and overpriced) speakers in all of high-end audio ... My opinion only, no stone throwing from you Wilson fans ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom