• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Since it was a R&D unit, or pre-production unit, I thought you might be under some non-disclosure arrangement. Since there isn't one...that's great! Looking forward to seeing how the in-room FR looks like... Thank you very much! :)
Ah, got it! Not R&D, nor pre production, simply a technology demonstration platform. No NDA, no agenda, no ulterior motive, full transparency (and Soundfield would not have it any other way, by the way).

I am also looking forward to seeing my in room FR!

The folks that have posted otherwise about something sinister happening here have it wrong, completely wrong. Done, that’s all I have to say about that, I hope.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming …

Newman

Major Contributor
Then what in your opinion is the method to deliver what is not a “third rate” solution? Mutichannel?
My opinion is gleaned from the best available researchers’ opinion, and yes, their opinion is multichannel. That’s why I mentioned it in my post.

And for 2-channel program, decent upmixers to a multichannel surround layout are recommended, because they at least distribute some spatial cues directionally, not just via delay. But this works best if the speakers act as reasonably concise sources, not dispersing sound backwards and forwards.

cheers

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
My opinion is gleaned from the best available researchers’ opinion, and yes, their opinion is multichannel. That’s why I mentioned it in my post.

And for 2-channel program, decent upmixers are recommended because they at least distribute some spatial cues directionally, not just via delay. But this works best if the speakers act as reasonably concise sources, not spraying sound backwards and forwards.

cheers
Understood, thank you for the explanation

D

Deleted member 57150

Hi

Some of us, perhaps , need a "chill pill":
A person comes here, and asks for suggestions/recommendations, . not for orders or mandates. We suggested, he choose his own, different path from consensus, or from our (secret? wet? wishes), sometimes known as recommendations..
That's only fair. His money, his tastes, his choices, he gets to live with his choices not with ours... That's IME, the way of life. Why do some would feel a bit annoyed, even in some extent to believe that they've been taken for a ride?:rolleyes: Seriously?
@MKR enjoy whatever you end with.

Peace.
I never said it would be a mandate to buy the product. People can and will choose what they want. However, even I was about to contact AJ to see about a set of lower tier floorstanding models. This thread has a lot of eyes on it, and thousands of posts. People read this stuff for years, there are some on gearspace.com that the companies have taken and put into their marketing materials. Suffice it to say that sound field has a megaton to be gained from this. A brand I have never heard of now is on the front page of a big audio research resource. And the brand he chose was one whose founder was banned or no longer participates. Guess what happens next? This thread continues with talk of what options he is buying and then more reviews of the finished product. Soundfield can generate hundreds of thousands in sales based on a "genuine" post. That doesnt sit right with me. I am glad someone pointed out that other post, and btw I am not the only one. Others through this process have thought this wasnt believable.

@MKR have you read the other thread? And it sure seems like you picked these speakers. Now you walk it back? I am not going to get into a pee pee match on here. Clearly I have angered the elders. I just want people to be aware of all info so they can choose wisely and not be duped. If I spent 10k on a set then found out this was all two guys generating income, I would be pretty irate.

Curious what these cost...

petezapie

Just these demos, which again are “franken” speakers (not prototypes) that Soundfield threw together so I could get a sense for the capability. They are far from a final product, but do sound very good. I will actually need to make a trip to Soundfield to hear actual finished products.
This is what google comes up with based on the address listed on the website? This legit?

Short38

I'm curious what you mean by "forgone conclusion." Did you actually predict, somehow, that MKR would select Soundfield Audio speakers?
No. No prediction. Only sense was that after many posts with excellent suggestions, the OP kept delaying a decision. And delaying. I had not heard of Soundfield until the last several blocks of posts.

D

Deleted member 57150

No. No prediction. Only sense was that after many posts with excellent suggestions, the OP kept delaying a decision. And delaying. I had not heard of Soundfield until the last several blocks of posts.
Yup. I even said, before soundfield was revealed, I wonder if this is some big redirect to a company.
This is what google comes up with based on the address listed on the website? This legit?

Yep that doesnt scream speaker workshop to me.

D

Deleted member 57150

This would be the dumbest forum to attempt viral marketing on (or whatever it is that you're insinuating).
No it wouldnt. Pretty ingenious actually. Ive done it! I posted something on a forum with a link to my old companies website. When the post took off, we had generated over 1 MILLION in sales for computer parts. I had no prior history, and it worked.

This is a much a slower burn but people are going to read through and see what OP chose. They then will buy a set. I mentioned interest along with someone else who was thinking about buying a pair sight unseen. Boom 10,000 + in sales right there.

this thread has 187K in views!!!! That is a lot of interested eyes and ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yup. I even said, before soundfield was revealed, I wonder if this is some big redirect to a company.

Yep that doesnt scream speaker workshop to me.
I thought you were done posting in this thread?

Anyway, how about this …. I will never again mention the vendor that shall no longer be named in this thread. Will only post about other vendors … oh wait, maybe I am also in cahoots with every vendor I have ever mentioned! So maybe I just can’t mention any speaker company name ever again? … Maybe I even delete all my posts with any mention of the vendor that shall not be named?

That make you happy @clevergirl ? This is pure insanity.

D

Deleted member 57150

I thought you were done posting in this thread?

Anyway, how about this …. I will never again mention the vendor that shall no longer be named in this thread. Will only post about other vendors … oh wait, maybe I am also in cahoots with every vendor I have ever mentioned! So maybe I just can’t mention any speaker company name ever again? … Maybe I even delete all my posts with any mention of the vendor that shall not be named?

That make you happy @clevergirl ? This is pure insanity.
Do you have any thoughts on the thread with AJ and amir?

Just for reference Amir refers to this speaker designer as "Slippery as freshly caught fish." NOT someone I would want to give thirty thousand dollars to without knowing that history and why Amir is saying this. He seems on balance to be pretty objective. Thats the whole point of the website, and his reviews favor lots of speakers that do what they claim. Revel being among them.

Short38

That's fair...

You said in your other post "All the above to say, I believe I have found my end game. Now just need to work with designer to develop a system exactly fitting my needs, going to take more listening and likely a visit to his establishment to listen to additional designs."

Doesnt sound like a long ways to a decision on the brand at least. Have you read this thread mkr? Thoughts? AJ doesnt look like a kind fella
Thank you for providing link to this thread. The domestic speaker companies I’m familiar with started in a “garage”. So nothing unusual with the AJ “origin story”. What I found unusual was the number of design directions shown on the Soundfield web site not to mention the number of driver sources. AJ’s reactions to Amir were not good.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Do you have any thoughts on the thread with AJ and amir?

Just for reference Amir refers to this speaker designer as "Slippery as freshly caught fish." NOT someone I would want to give thirty thousand dollars to without knowing that history and why Amir is saying this. He seems on balance to be pretty objective. Thats the whole point of the website, and his reviews favor lots of speakers that do what they claim. Revel being among them.
Why would I have any thoughts on that? What does that have to do with this thread? Why are you clearly trying to stir up trouble? This is truly bizarre and unsettling. This is the last time I dignify your comments with a response.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In hindsight the “buildup” was a bit much, I agree. But it wasn’t buildup, not at all. I was respecting the wishes of Soundfield who rather I not disclose until after I had some time to listen, simple as that. And note if these would have sounded bad, I would have absolutely reported that also, which in fact Soundfield encouraged that I do. But that is not the direction it went.

And for your benefit @Lsc , I still love the Salon 2s. If they were not being discontinued this entire quest may have been over by now ;). But they are and that caused me to look elsewhere.
Salon2 have a 5 year warranty and is a subsidiary of Samsung.

I think the Soundfield Audio frankenspeakers are cool and you’ve had good experience with the demo but being active and as many drivers and electronics as it does, would that be a concern also?

Before buying Revel F208 I was thinking about buying something somewhat similar in a passive design from Philharmonic that has been discontinued since.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Salon2 have a 5 year warranty and is a subsidiary of Samsung.

I think the Soundfield Audio frankenspeakers are cool and you’ve had good experience with the demo but being active and as many drivers and electronics as it does, would that be a concern also?

Before buying Revel F208 I was thinking about buying something somewhat similar in a passive design from Philharmonic that has been discontinued since.
Thanks. Revel means nothing to Samsung. A drop in the bucket, they could shut it down anytime, I see that acquisition as negative for Harman, not positive. As such the 5 year warranty is little assurance. But I do hope I am wrong as I really want to see what a Salon 3 would be like! :)

No concern on the vendor that shall not be named, they use standard off the shelf drivers and electronics (Hypex)

D

Deleted member 57150

Why would I have any thoughts on that? What does that have to do with this thread? Why are you clearly trying to stir up trouble? This is truly bizarre and unsettling. This is the last time I dignify your comments with a response.
How am I stirring up trouble? First off I didn’t even link it. Someone else did. And second, I think it’s relevant to the thread for the reasons I stated. He got into a row with the owner of this site. His responses didn’t instill confidence in me, and he has a lot to gain from the endorsement. I’d think given your sizable purchase you would have some objective or subjective take on that discussion. Your decision is based on agreeing with the designers vision for you. If I were you I would have an opinion one way or the other. Seems pretty basic to me.

onion

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I read some of that thread and quite enjoyed AJ's banter

Reactions: MKR
D

Deleted member 57150

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I read some of that thread and quite enjoyed AJ's banter
No problem with the banter. Just want to know why he’s persona non grata and why op won’t speak to this. Ftr he should be allowed back I think to at least speak to all of this.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem with the banter. Just want to know why he’s persona non grata and why op won’t speak to this. Ftr he should be allowed back I think to at least speak to all of this.

I looked at "that" thread and it was pretty obvious from early on why AJ was heading for a ban.

AJ's speakers may be excellent, but if he was going to bring the same persona back to ASR as displayed in that thread I'm not sure there's enough upside to be worth it.

But that's a subject for some other thread ultimately, and Amir decides these things. I do have sympathy for those running forums, trying to find the line between allowing as much disagreement as possible, without too much rancor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom