• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recluse-Animator

https://www.hifinews.com/content/kef-ls60-wireless-loudspeaker

KEF LS60:
1022kef.lab1.jpg
1022kef.lab2.jpg

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With that budget, you might try to get a listen to the Vimberg Mino. I'm not sure of their output and measurements, but I have heard them at audio shows in some fairly good size rooms, and they sound incredible. And if aesthetics are important, it's hard to beat these.

They are available through https://www.thevoicethatis.com/pages/contact.html
vimberg_mino_velvetec_02.jpg

mino_gal_01.jpg

MarcT

Forum Donor
Yeah seriously. Treat the room first with what you already have.

I think the thing with these controlled directivity speakers is that people are applying them as the next best thing when they cannot treat the room for various reasons. They will do better but not as well as properly treating the room. It’s all a compromise and these are not magic

I disagree with this. If the directivity isn't uniform, either the listening window, early reflections or sound power will have coloration and that can be perceived by the listener

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If the directivity isn't uniform, either the listening window, early reflections or sound power will have coloration and that can be perceived by the listener

Agreed.

Acoustic treatments have a hard time fixing poor off-axis response. Imo it is more practical to start out with spectrally-correct (or nearly so) off-axis response, and directivity which is a good match for the room situation to begin with, especially if extensive room treatment is impractical for whatever reason.

I'm not saying you can't get "there" either way, and ideally it's not either/or (good directivity vs good room acoustics). But a piano doesn't need a thoroughly-treated room in order to sound good, and one might argue that neither should the speakers playing a recording of that piano.

chorus

These may have already been listed above:
Active- ATC 50s or 100s,
Passives- Stenheim, Vimberg, Borresen,

No clue how they measure but I have heard them all
along with many others. My ears chose these.

Comparing Hi-Fi news with Erin.

That looks better, but the measurements still do not seem reliable in general. It's nearfield bass spliced to quasi anechoic, so no surprise there.

If you look at pierreaubert.github.io you can see Kef reference one meta, Kef R3 and KEF LS50 Wireless II. These have high quality measurements from multiple sources and the agreement is good.

I really don't see any reason to doubt the factory measurements that come out of Kef or Harman.

Last edited:
Active- ATC 50s or 100s,

Your eyes probably contributed 50% of the sound assessment unless you chose the speakers in a double-blind comparison test. It's hard to believe, but science tells we cannot be objective in sighted testing.

The ATCs were discussed earlier and it was mentioned there are no available measurements. I pointed out the ATC SCM19 has terrible spinorama data (see here), which gives good reason to question everything they make.

Recluse-Animator

Active- ATC 50s or 100s,

You can forget Borresen with only 30k.

Borresen M1:

index.php
boerresen-m1-speakers-scaled.jpg

For 6000€ more they will cryogenize your speakers...

Adi777

Timberg looks like a Tidal speakers, very similar.

@Recluse-Animator

Borresen M1

What do they have that cost so much? Bookshelf speakers for almost 100,000 Euro, with a bandwidth starting from 40 Hz, and probably with a decrease?

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor
Timberg looks like a Tidal speakers, very similar.

@Recluse-Animator

Borresen M1

What do they have that cost so much? Bookshelf speakers for almost 100,000 Euro, with a bandwidth starting from 40 Hz, and probably with a decrease?
Lol, that's because Vimberg is Tidal's "budget" line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom