• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2.0, 2.1 Setup Advice - KEF q150, Loxjie A30

MacZinger

Cutting to the chase:

Nothing bought yet.
My dilemma here is that i start getting to where the electronics are more expensive than the speakers. I was not raised that way. Makes me want to buy more expensive speakers but trying hard not to.

Aesthetics (wife approval) dictate KEF Q150s white or equivalent clean modern
Orbit Uturn tuntable

Hardware Needs:
Speakers
Loxjie A30 - so i thought - until it looks like it might take forever to show up.
Phono for the turntable
HDMI splitter to split audio from a Roku going to a projector

Connection needs:
Toslink from TV
Bluetooth or airplay (kids, wife streaming music from their apple devices - no android in house)

Future Expansion:
Maybeeee add a subwoofer
Not interested in 5.1 or 7.1

Room and intended use:
Medium size living room. Sitting around 3m from the speakers/TV.
TV, Projector sound, listening to vinly, streaming from phone.
I do have a big music library on a NAS with Plex but never really use it. Would be great to bring it back to life.

edit: Expectations
I am an old tv studio rat. Have built countless edit bays, home theaters and wired broadcast systems. Looking for simplicity and aesthetics.
Clean stereo for TV and film watching without ridiculous booming that drown the dialogue and wake up the kids.
Musicality and atmosphere for vinyl. I do want to feel once in a while the depth of a Kyuss track (hence maybe the woofer down the line) and clean separation on an electronic track.

1. I could wait on the Loxjie A30 + a Phono Preamp + HDMI splitter and be in business. Up to $400ish depending on Phono.
2. I could go for separates...? Phono Preamp + Ifi zen Dac/Bluetooth (or equivalent) + Amp. This starts hitting $500-600+.
3. AVR of some kind (Yamaha, Sony) which will come with a phono, sub out, BT - $400-500?
4. IOTAVX SA3, NADXXX or equivalent - Around $600

Thoughts?

thank you all

Last edited:

Waloshin

Do not go with the Loxjie A30 horrible sound especially with analogue audio (your vinyl) go with a used receiver which will take hdmi as well.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AVR of some kind (Yamaha, Sony) which will come with a phono, sub out, BT - $400-500?

If you are looking for something more compact than an AVR, perhaps the Yamaha WXA-50. Received a good review and has lots of connectivity, although no phono preamp. Perhaps it helps to check some of the other boxes?

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
Top Bottom