• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange clicking noises with Loxjie A30

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30 does have RCA in. (We are talking about the Loxjie A30, right, because there is another A30, I think, by a different company?) One of the two RCA in the stereo input pair doubles as coaxial in.

I still think the speaker that produces the clicking is shorting the A30 output.
You might be onto something. :D @comicbookdb swap the good speaker from channel to channel and see if you have sound on both channels or if that noise is still there.

OP
C

comicbookdb

Does that mean I can use RCA cables into the left inputs?

When I (mistakenly) unplugged one of the speakers during the clicking, there was clicking in the speaker that was still plugged in as well. I’m going to try connecting the speakers to my home entertainment system to make sure it’s not them.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Does that mean I can use RCA cables into the left inputs?
Yes. To be super explicit, you need two RCA cables (a pair), connecting the right RCA output of your phono preamp to the right RCA input of your A30, and the left ones as well.
When I (mistakenly) unplugged one of the speakers during the clicking, there was clicking in the speaker that was still plugged in as well. I’m going to try connecting the speakers to my home entertainment system to make sure it’s not them.
If one of the speakers has a short, then it can't click, so it's the other one that is clicking. The A30 uses a single amplifier chip with four amplifiers in it, which in the A30 are connected as two bridged amplifiers. I believe the whole chip goes into protection mode when one of the outputs has a fault condition.

Are you using bare wire at the speakers? I'd look for a stray wire connecting the two speaker posts. Could of course also be a stray wire at the amplifier terminals. I recommend these very easy to connect banana plugs. In the same time that it takes you to hook up bare wires, you can wire up these plugs, and no more worries about shorts, or tiny strands of copper wire getting tracked around.

OP
C

comicbookdb

Great to know about the RCA, thank you. I just checked the speakers (bare wire) and I don’t see any stray wires. i did use banana plugs for the amp after reading about them in a thread here so I don't think it’s there,

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can hou rake a picure of the back of the amp with everything connected? What power supply do you have? Include a pictore of the rating label on that.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
One 'feature' of the A30 that I still find annoying is that one has to wait to time out from the input/output selection menus before one can adjust the level again. Touch the volume control too early, and you are changing the menu selection again. But I don't see how that would produce clicking. It could produce no sound though, from selecting the wrong input or output.

OP
C

comicbookdb

Can hou rake a picure of the back of the amp with everything connected? What power supply do you have? Include a pictore of the rating label on that.
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 16878785427456828813531784665585.jpg
    16878785427456828813531784665585.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 16878785688122432599880520559510.jpg
    16878785688122432599880520559510.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 91

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some pictures
Those banana plugs look awfully close together. Are the metal cases touching? If so, that might be your problem. If not, how are you preventing that?

(either there at the amp, or at the speaker end)

OP
C

comicbookdb

Those banana plugs look awfully close together. Are the metal cases touching? If so, that might be your problem. If not, how are you preventing that?

(either there at the amp, or at the speaker end)
Just checked and there is plenty of room between the banana plugs and no stray wires on the speaker ends

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try some headphones in the HP jack and switch output to headphones

OP
C

comicbookdb

I'll have to look for a headphone adapter so it might take me some time (we just moved, lots of boxes still).

I did take the speakers to the entertainment center and swapped them in - they sounded great. So I don't think it's the speakers.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a recent TV you can try taking its optical out into the A30s optical in with a toslink cable or use usb from your computer. when trying these things make sure that there is only one input at time plugged in. Coax requires a coax or digital cable not an RCA interconnect and only one input to #6 and not #7.
1688080177164.png

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Were there reports earlier of people finding lose parts inside their amplifiers? Maybe it's a short inside the A30. Can you still return the unit?

OP
C

comicbookdb

Were there reports earlier of people finding lose parts inside their amplifiers? Maybe it's a short inside the A30. Can you still return the unit?
Unfortunately not. I ordered it almost two months ago but couldn't set it up until now. To make things worse, I can't find anything about Loxjie's warranty on their website.

OP
C

comicbookdb

If you have a recent TV you can try taking its optical out into the A30s optical in with a toslink cable or use usb from your computer. when trying these things make sure that there is only one input at time plugged in. Coax requires a coax or digital cable not an RCA interconnect and only one input to #6 and not #7.
View attachment 295731
It was pointed out to me that I'm not using coax, I'm using RCA. Can't that be used with 6 & 7?

Gruesome

Forum Donor
It was pointed out to me that I'm not using coax, I'm using RCA. Can't that be used with 6 & 7?
Yes, of course. But Tim was suggesting testing a different input. Does the A30 work with headphones or earphones?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes 6&7 are analog in (AKA: RCA or inter-connects). maybe those are bad?

OP
C

comicbookdb

Well, I'm back on this. I ordered a new A30 thinking it was just a bad unit but as soon as I plugged in the first Polk XT20 speaker, the clicking started. Didn't plug anything in for input, just set it to Bluetooth and it clicks.

But here's the thing - I took the A30 to my entertainment center and plugged one of my Polk T600 speakers into it. No clicking, played music beautifully over Bluetooth. Why?!

Thinking maybe it's the speaker, I then plugged the XT20 into the entertainment system. Again, great sound! It only seems to be when I connect the XT20 to the A30 that this happens.

What could possibly be happening here??

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'm back on this. I ordered a new A30 thinking it was just a bad unit but as soon as I plugged in the first Polk XT20 speaker, the clicking started. Didn't plug anything in for input, just set it to Bluetooth and it clicks.

But here's the thing - I took the A30 to my entertainment center and plugged one of my Polk T600 speakers into it. No clicking, played music beautifully over Bluetooth. Why?!

Thinking maybe it's the speaker, I then plugged the XT20 into the entertainment system. Again, great sound! It only seems to be when I connect the XT20 to the A30 that this happens.

What could possibly be happening here??
Do you get clicking when not using bluetooth?

Top Bottom