• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange clicking noises with Loxjie A30

comicbookdb

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to all this so please forgive me if these questions sound idiotic. I recently purchased a Loxjie A30 and a pair of Polk XT20 speakers (both based off of reviews of this forum :)) but I'm not getting much success in producing anything but a strange clicking noise.

My setup is a turntable that connects to a preamp. The preamp connects to the A30 via coaxial cables which connects to the speakers. When I set the input on the A30 to Coaxial, it says "no signal" and I hear nothing. When I switch the A30 to Bluetooth and connect to it with my phone, the speakers start making this rhythmic clicking sound rather than playing the music from my phone.

I'm hoping this is just my newbie ignorance and it's an easy fix. Please help!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Make sure the output is set to speakers when using them and headphone is on output when using them. That is a bit annoying but that has to be.

OP
C

comicbookdb

What turntable preamp that has a coaxial output?
Microphono PP400. I used to have this connected to the receiver in my home entertainment system and had no problems with it. It's only now that I'm connecting it to the A30 that I'm having trouble.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Did you by accident connect/short two of the speaker outputs together, or to ground? The clicking sound reminds me of when I inadvertently grounded a negative speaker output of the A30, which makes it go into protection mode, I believe. ( None of the A30 speaker output terminals is at ground level.)

Zek

Major Contributor
Microphono PP400.
If this is the preamplifier, I don't see a coaxial output anywhere, only classic analog RCA outputs.
Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 01.23.29.png

In that case, you should connect the preamplifier to the A30 with an analog audio cable with 2 x 2 RCA connectors and select analog RCA as the input.

Last edited:
OP
C

comicbookdb

Did you by accident connect/short two of the speaker outputs together, or to ground? The clicking sound reminds me of when I inadvertently grounded a negative speaker output of the A30, which makes it go into protection mode, I believe. ( None of the A30 speaker output terminals is at ground level.)
I don't think so? I'm using banana plugs for the A30 connections to the speakers and don't think there has been anything touching something it shouldn't.

OP
C

comicbookdb

If this is the preamplifier, I don't see a coaxial output anywhere, only classic analog RCA outputs.
View attachment 295120
Urk you're absolutely right. That would definitely be a good reason that it's not receiving a coaxial input. I am truly a moron.

I've unplugged the RCA cable from the A30 :rolleyes: but I still hear the clicking when I switch it to Bluetooth output (or USB audio output). Changing the volume on the A30 doesn't change the volume of the clicking but if I pull one of the cables to the speakers out, then it stops.

OP
C

comicbookdb

Don't do that!!!
D-class amplifiers are sensitive if no speakers are connected when powered up and can burn out.
Thank you for the warning. Hopefully I didn't do any harm, I only unplugged one of the four plugs to the speakers...

Zek

Major Contributor
I only unplugged one of the four plugs to the speakers...
It does not matter if one or both wires are unplugged, the effect is the same because the speaker is not connected to the amplifier.

Zek

Major Contributor
Why don't you connect the preamplifier with the appropriate cable to the A30 and select the appropriate input and check if the amplifier works as it should?

OP
C

comicbookdb

The preamplifier only has RCA out and the A30 doesn't have RCA in. But I'm thinking I have two problems - 1) that I can't connect my preamp to the A30 and 2) that even if I take the preamp out of the equation and switch to Bluetooth, the speakers make this clicking sound.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The preamplifier only has RCA out and the A30 doesn't have RCA in. But I'm thinking I have two problems - 1) that I can't connect my preamp to the A30 and 2) that even if I take the preamp out of the equation and switch to Bluetooth, the speakers make this clicking sound.
Use the USB connection from a PC and then test the unit to see if it operates OK.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be, I just bought it in May
It's time to setup a return for warranty service on this A30. Something is not functioning properly and it is manifesting itself as that noise/buzz/hum.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
The A30 does have RCA in. The right RCA in the stereo input pair doubles as coaxial in, but the two RCA on the left in the picture below are an input.
617z6sAmagL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I still think the speaker that produces the clicking is shorting the A30 output.

Top Bottom