Search results

1. A

Audio Bit Rates

Audio Bit Rates Audio Bit Rates and Uncompressed Files Every second in an audio recording has a specific quantity of bits. When considering various types of sound files this is expressed as the number of kilobits of data per second (kbps). For example, a 128 kbps file has 128 kilobits stored...
  2. A

Processor Thoughts

I was initially surprised to see Arcam and Emotiva do so poorly in Amir's tests. Yes, discouraging in general how poor the processor market has manifested itself. If I were rich, I would likely go with Storm Audio. I would like to see reviews of other makes such as AudioControl, Theta...
  3. A

HDCD DACS

I for one, but likely of many, am finding HDCD a hard horse to ride in 2023. Some don't see the value in it, but I happen to like it; although I don't notice an improvement on every album when comparing the non-HDCD version with the HDCD version. I haven't found anything within the computer...
  4. A

Tri Amplified Studio Monitors

I am curious who owns or is curious about tri-amplified studio monitors under $10,000. A thread designed or those who prefer 3-drivers and hopefully a better midrange presentation. What do you think are the best at various price points from ultra-cheap all the way to 10k. I really like the...
  5. A

What if I tried this with a Topping D10s ?

The Topping D10s allows for conversion from USB to both coaxial and toslink digital outputs. Clearly, this unit was designed for stereo. However, I am curious what would happen if I fed the unit a Dolby 5.1 signal from my computer, what I would get coming out of the digital outputs of the...
  6. A

Powered monitors without AD conversion

Does anyone know of any powered monitors that do not have AD conversion? I am aware of the Focals and Gibsons, but would like to learn of more, particularly highly rated ones. It seems a bit odd to me to research DACs well, buy a highly rated DAC, and then feed the signal into powered monitors...
  7. A

SMSL SU-9 remote problems

Just added the SMSL SU-9 to my collection of DACs that includes RME and Topping. Although the SMSL SU-9 sounds wonderful and is working fine; I cannot get the remote to work. I know about the "Press C" thing, but even after pressing C, and with the unit not in direct sunlight, I cannot get the...
  8. A

MiniDSP SHD Studio

I was curious if there are any MiniDSP SHD Studio owners out there, or others who are considering pulling the trigger like me. Seems to be a lot of value for the money for this streaming transport, for those of us that already have a DAC. Not only do you get a streamer but lots of room...
  9. A

Car Audio

I would be very interested to get some opinions on car audio topics: installs in kick panels, A-Pillars, sails, for tweeter and mid-range drivers, and also subwoofer issues. Also open for discussion are amps with built-in DSP, and what constitutes a state of the art system, or just below SOTA in...
  10. A

Biomechanics of Human Hearing

Introduction Biomechanics is the science of movement of a living body that incorporates the fields of classical mechanics and biology; wherein the study of muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments are investigated specifically with respect to how they work in unison to affect the mechanics of...
  11. A

Psychoacoustics Fundamentals

Introduction Psychoacoustics is the branch of acoustics and psychophysics involving the scientific study of human sound perception and audiology; that is how humans perceive various sounds and the corresponding psychological responses. Sound is mechanical radiant energy transmitted by...
  12. A

Headphone Fundamentals

Initial post will address very basic headphone info, with the hope that subsequent posts can add additional relevant info. Many thanks to those who helped me on the Objective and Subjective thread to better understand headphones, which I didn't get into until this year. Initial post revisions...
  13. A

Deleting a Thread and Deleted Threads

I want to delete my thread on the Tascam DR-05X, as it didn't get any responses, and things got covered in a more general thread that I started about portable recorders. How does one go about deleting a thread that they started? Do I just click "unwatch". Are deleted threads ever...
  14. A

Active Monitors: Digital or Analog crossover?

Do you prefer digital or analog crossovers in active monitors? Why?
  15. A

Does near field listening render room correction less necessary?

In my systems, things are arranged such that I can sit relatively close to my speakers (powered monitors) and I do incorporate a subwoofer. I am therefore asking this question with respect to 2.1 systems. In my Den, I have Focal Shape 50 speakers, with the room arranged so that I am about six...
  16. A

Passive Controller switches each channel separately

A company named Wright Audio sells these passive controllers. They are designed to accept many inputs from line-level sources, and equipped with the ability to switch the left channel and right channel separately. They output both rca and XLR from volume control, and also have three rca fixed...
  17. A

Audacity first time user

I am about to try Audacity for my first time. Can anyone recommend any tips or tricks to help with the learning curve? Also, are there other softwares similar to Audacity that are worth investigating? The first task I want to accomplish with Audacity is to set my some wav files to the same...
  18. A

Phone used as a DAP and not a phone

Does anyone know if a phone can play music from a microSD slot, if no phone service is being used?
  19. A

Portable Recorders as DAPs

Curious if anyone is going the route of using portable recorders as DAPs, or for those not doing it, why not? I started a thread on the Tascam DR-05X but got no responses. I have one of those, and I also have an Olympus LS-P4 on order. Going this route, no streaming, but can play wav files...
  20. A

Amplitude, Frequency and Phase

I have a few questions about these topics in relation to recording musical instruments and audio playback. As a simple example, lets start with a piano playing the note middle C and then a few moments later a guitar playing the note middle C. Lets assume both instruments are recorded with the...
Top Bottom