• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD Studio

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was curious if there are any MiniDSP SHD Studio owners out there, or others who are considering pulling the trigger like me. Seems to be a lot of value for the money for this streaming transport, for those of us that already have a DAC. Not only do you get a streamer but lots of room management tools built in, to include Dirac. Also, if anyone looked at it and decided against it, please let me know why. The only weaknesses I saw were that it doesn't yet have Tidal Connect, and I don't think it displays album artwork on the screen. But compared to other streamers that sell in thousands, this one is only about $1k, and has much more processing capability. If anyone has noted any discrepancies please let me know.

OP
A

AudioStudies

It runs VolumeIO, so should also have Tidal connect if they are up-to-date with versions: https://volumio.org/tidal-connect-volumio/
They have a customized version of Volumio, and they just informed me recently be Email, that they do not yet have Tidal Connect. Tidal can be accessed through their app, but it is not ideal = not the same as Tidal connect.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a customized version of Volumio, and they just informed me recently be Email, that they do not yet have Tidal Connect. Tidal can be accessed through their app, but it is not ideal = not the same as Tidal connect.

That's too bad. If your willing and able you could try upgrading it yourself.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, it also looks like Qobuz and Tidal integrations are only available in the paid versions of VolumeIO. The SHD probably has a variant of the free version?

OP
A

AudioStudies

Tidal and Quboz are in the Volumio version on the SHD but not Connect.
Yes, Tidal is in their app, but not Tidal Connect (which would allow control from Tidal directly - via the use of a phone). But I think they will eventually have Tidal connect.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is the app for accessing local music files?
It's adequate, but not slick.

I use a Bluesound Vault (effectively) as a music server and the BlueOS is nimble. I would prefer to stream directly using Volumio but integration of Amazon music is rudimentary (and that's a generous assessment).

Apparently it works as a Roon endpoint, but I'm not paying a subscription fee to use another app.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/minidsp-shd-uncertified-roon-endpoint-raat/80366/13

Last edited:
OP
A

AudioStudies

It's adequate, but not slick.

I use a Bluesound Vault (effectively) as a music server and the BlueOS is nimble. I would prefer to stream directly using Volumio but integration of Amazon music is rudimentary (and that's a generous assessment).

Apparently it works as a Roon endpoint, but I'm not paying a subscription fee to use amother app.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/minidsp-shd-uncertified-roon-endpoint-raat/80366/13
Yeah, I am not going the Roon route either.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Studio and sold it. I never liked the Volumio integration they use, kind of clunky and had drops, sputtering it even bricked the Studio, minidsp sent me the OS to flash it. I like the EQ and crossover ability and of course Dirac. If I ever decide to try again I'll get the DDRC-22D and use a different streamer.

OP
A

AudioStudies

I had a Studio and sold it. I never liked the Volumio integration they use, kind of clunky and had drops, sputtering it even bricked the Studio, minidsp sent me the OS to flash it. I like the EQ and crossover ability and of course Dirac. If I ever decide to try again I'll get the DDRC-22D and use a different streamer.
Thanks, very helpful info -- I just may go the route of the DDRC-22D

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, very helpful info -- I just may go the route of the DDRC-22D

YMMV but think the Studio is a much better choice than the 22D for not much more money ($900 vs $750). Screen with volume indication and USB input gives a lot of flexibility over the 22D. Agree with others that Volumio is not great but installing squeezelite on the Studio (https://www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/17077-shd-and-logitech-media-server?start=0) or using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer (as it has USB input) works great. Not to mention the 4 outputs of the Studio vs the 2 outputs of the 22D.

Michael

OP
A

AudioStudies

Just pulled the trigger on the SHD Studio. @mdsimon2 info was convincing enough for me to choose the Studio and not the 22. Hope, I don't run into the problems that @JustJones encountered, but it appears I may not even need to use Volumio, and try some of the alternatives you guys have suggested herein. I was new to the acronym YMMV, so I had to look it up !!! I guess my mileage varied . . .

OP
A

AudioStudies

The whole REW process looks a bit intimidating to me, but perhaps just because I haven't done anything like it. Let me know if any of you have any "words of wisdom" as I will need to tackle that soon after the unit arrives . . .

Top Bottom