• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Controller switches each channel separately

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1598267784232.png

A company named Wright Audio sells these passive controllers. They are designed to accept many inputs from line-level sources, and equipped with the ability to switch the left channel and right channel separately. They output both rca and XLR from volume control, and also have three rca fixed outputs that can be fed to recorders. I have never seen a product quite like it. I do have one, but for my needs, I didn't need the volume control, as I was feeding to an active preamp, so I had it disabled. Curious if anyone out there is familiar with Wright Audio or this particular device. Build quality seems pretty good, and at least in one of my systems it helped to reduce ground loops. Also looking for opinions on the concept of this device.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The XLR out is not balanced.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Also looking for opinions on the concept of this device.

Well, if you have a specific need for switching the channels separately, then I guess this product has the functionality you are looking for.

The web page says something vague about crosstalk, but I've been told that this particular side effect needs to be outrageously bad (higher than -20 dB overall?) to have clear audible impact.

OP
A

AudioStudies

Well, if you have a specific need for switching the channels separately, then I guess this product has the functionality you are looking for.

The web page says something vague about crosstalk, but I've been told that this particular side effect needs to be outrageously bad (higher than -20 dB overall?) to have clear audible impact.
I have no need to switch the channels separately, I was trying to reduce cross-talk, maybe I went overboard. I also needed more inputs than I had on my active preamp that I feed to from this device. I am a bit confused why they didn't use separate volume controls for each channel though, seems to be it would have made it a more flexible, viable product.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
A

AudioStudies

And costs $600
for my situation, the price is justified even if it didn't have the ability to switch L, R independent, because of the vast number of input and outputs. If they hadn't routed back to the single volume control, or in cases like mine where I bypassed the volume control, would there be any crosstalk at all, because of the completely separate routes (no common switches between L, R)?

Top Bottom