• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Powered monitors without AD conversion

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know of any powered monitors that do not have AD conversion? I am aware of the Focals and Gibsons, but would like to learn of more, particularly highly rated ones. It seems a bit odd to me to research DACs well, buy a highly rated DAC, and then feed the signal into powered monitors with AD that have internal DACs that may be much worse than a high quality outboard DAC. Does anyone else worry about this, or do I just worry too much? As great a thing as studio monitors are, it is a bit frustrating that it is so difficult for any reviewers to test their internals. Also curious if there are some of you who own Gibsons, like I do, and enjoy the look that was designed to look similar to a guitar.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All Neumann monitors except the KH 80 DSP.

OP
A

AudioStudies

The SMART-enabled Genelec monitors accept digital input that does not involve an AD-step. Inputting analog to those monitors involve an AD-step.
Thanks, but I am not looking to input digital to the powered monitor, just hoping to find something with amps and drivers that will amplify my analog signal from my DAC. Something without ADC and then the subsequent DAC in so many of the modern studio monitors.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks, but I am not looking to input digital to the powered monitor, just hoping to find something with amps and drivers that will amplify my analog signal from my DAC. Something without ADC and then the subsequent DAC in so many of the modern studio monitors.

Ah, I misunderstood. Then there are Genelec monitors for that as well, some reviewed on ASR.

https://www.genelec.com/active-2-way-studio-monitors

OP
A

AudioStudies

Why though? Aren't those A-D stages basically transparent anyway?
Well that is the $64,000 question. And a difficult thing for reviewers to determine both the transparency of the ADC and subsequent DAC prior to the signal reaching the speaker drivers.

RobL

Forum Donor
Depends on the converter how much, but noise floor accumulates with each pass through AD-DA. I think in a blind test I read about that with 3 conversions most couldn’t tell, after 5 conversions most heard the degradation and after 10 conversions it was obvious.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that is the $64,000 question. And a difficult thing for reviewers to determine both the transparency of the ADC and subsequent DAC prior to the signal reaching the speaker drivers.
Why would I trust a reviewer's "determination" in the first place for "transparency" (audibly I assume) of such?

OP
A

AudioStudies

Why would I trust a reviewer's "determination" in the first place for "transparency" (audibly I assume) of such?
I was thinking more along the lines of ASR-type reviews, where there are some well thought out objective measurements, not solely listening tests.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking more along the lines of ASR-type reviews, where there are some well thought out objective measurements, not solely listening tests.

Solely listening tests other than my own I find generally useless but thought that's where you were going :). Personally I can't imagine not wanting digital active crossovers if I'm going the "monitor" route.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Neumann (save for the KH80), Focal (their entire line), ATC (their entire active line, passive is well... passive), Genelec 1031 and earlier versions of the 1032, Dynaudio BM15A (though this doesn't exactly perform amazingly wrt directivity what with no waveguide and a 10" midwoofer) and BM6A...

dfuller

Major Contributor
How is an analog crossover "active"?
Simple, it's before the amps but not done via DSP. Instead it's a mix of active (i.e. done using op-amps) and passive filters done at line level.

So, do you think I am worried for no reason?

Yes and no. If you care about latency, DSP is never a good solution because you inevitably add 5+ms of latency between AD-DSP-DA. Otherwise, little concern to speak of.

Top Bottom