Search results

1. ripmixburn

What kind of stylus is this?

Maybe 100 hours on this cartridge, brushed dry before photographing in sunlight. How can I identify the type of stylus on it? I know what it was advertised as having but I am hoping for third party verification.
  2. ripmixburn

Calculating volume in a semi-open space

I live in a townhouse with a semi-open ground floor, and I'm not sure how to calculate the volume which would be useful in selecting speakers. I'm looking at in-walls or on-walls because winter is approaching and the gas stove is likely to scorch my floorstanding speakers. The ceilings are 9.5...
  3. ripmixburn

Brutal hi-hat on this recording?

I think Stewart Copeland is considered one of the more skilled hi-hat drummers in the rock/pop genre, but what is going on this in this? https://www.allmusic.com/album/police-deranged-for-orchestra-mw0003987415 Is it the recording, my streaming service (TIDAL), or my metal tweeter? (Monitor...
  4. ripmixburn

Front page post notifications?

When Captain Amir posts or shares something to the front page, I'd love to get notified. Is there a way to make this happen? An email would be great. I could use RSS if that's still a thing (thanks Google).
  5. ripmixburn

Clever PET absorber/diffuser?

I spotted this novel looking absorber/diffuser on Amazon called BUBOS Acoustic Panels. A very clever design where long rectangles of PET are scored so they can be easily folded into triangles offering (theoreticaly) good asborption and diffusion. If I had the facilities (and faculties), I would...
  6. ripmixburn

How's my decay?

I measured my 2.1 setup in a new space with REW my Anthem MRX300 receiver. I used the Anthem mic which is apparently good until a few kHz. Looks quite flat! I am included measurements with an without ARC enabled, but would love some help understanding decay. I only have a giant heavy rug as...
  7. ripmixburn

Odd Speaker Stand: Tensegrity Speaker Floor Stand by VIVO

Spotted this on Amazon and while it looks cool I can't imagine it would please anyone here. Wouldn't the wires resonate like a piano wire?
  8. ripmixburn

Diagramming tools for modelling component connection?

I've seen some diagrams that illustrate how various audio components (amp, preamp, phono preamp, etc) are configured in an audio system. What do you recommend for this? I use Mac but I'm sure browsers could work too. Ideally something that has a set of symbols for audio (e.g. RCA cables, binding...
  9. ripmixburn

How do my old ARC measurements look?

I set both of my subs to 50% and used the calibrated mic that came with my (now ancient) Anthem MRX 300 and ran ARC on an old PC laptop. My attic has a low vaulted ceiling and there is a 100-200hz null in the sweet spot. Anything else noteworthy? I'm far from an expert but not sure room...
  10. ripmixburn

Class D and a speaker selector or vintage receiver for ground floor?

I currently have three pairs of speakers on my ground floor. One pair is for the main listening area, one in the kitchen, and one in the dining room. I never play more than two at a time at moderate volume. I’m currently using two integrated amplifiers, one with a speaker, selector, to get...
  11. ripmixburn

Anyone using DSP/PEQ with vintage receivers?

Learning that some late 70s amplifiers are still competitive with modern amplifiers, I'm tempted to get one to simplify my ground floor audio setup. I have an open concept floor with 3 pairs of speakers. Using an old "monster" like the Yamaha CR-2020 would offers the flexibility of A, B, B, A+B...
  12. ripmixburn

Cheap component feet: skateboard wheels

I bought a turntable for fun and didn't want the heat of my amplifier to accumulate too much, so I bought some skateboard wheels on Amazon and they worked like a charm. Quite a snug fit as the turntable feet fit nicely into the center of the wheels.
  13. ripmixburn

Does room correction improve flawed speakers too?

I've been using ARC Genesis room correction for 2.1 stereo ever since it supported my PW Link streamer. I recently connected a pair of vintage Dynaco A25 speakers which have a noticeable dip in the midrange. Probably too dumb a question for this audience, but can room correction discern between...
  14. ripmixburn

Budget system for streaming/analog 2.1 with room correction?

I've discovered so many great components on this site that I can barely keep track. In reimagining my main system I was looking for a collection of separate components that would comprise a budget-champ system. What would it feature? Network streaming from streaming services and local files...
  15. ripmixburn

Anecoica: a Spanish crowdfunded horror film about… anechoic chambers?

Acoustically related, I learned about a Spanish short film in development (crowdfunded) about, of all things, an anechoic chamber. À la the 1980 film Altered States (RIP William Hurt) and the sensory deprivation tanks, I suppose the journey inside the mind is the most terrifying. True for me...
  16. ripmixburn

PET absorbers for low frequency?

I'm in contact with a company who produces panels made from PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate, not domesticated animals). They send me their performance data for a 15mm (0.59 inch) thick panel… Does the low frequency absorption seem unusually high to you too or am I misreading it?
  17. ripmixburn

Metamaterials for acoustic absorption/diffusion

As an owner of the original KEF LS50, I was green to envy to to see them introduce the LS50 Meta containing an interesting man-made material that absorbed problematic interactions between the driver and the cabinet. The original LS50 measured poorly here, but the Meta fared far better. So if...
  18. ripmixburn

Comparing ART phono preamps?

Hi gang, I went to the hassle of making a table that contains the specifications for ART’s various phono preamps. I currently have a Rega Fono Mini A2D with a dead USB port and am looking to replace it. Seeing as these are all under $100 and the DJPRE II did well here, I'm wondering how these...
  19. ripmixburn

Persian carpets: what type?

Reading Art Noxon’s post on Acoustic Carpets for High End Audio Applications it's clear that aside from cheap carpet on felt pad, beautiful Persian carpets can provide great acoustic benefit for floor reflections. He mentions that: The pile is ⅝ to ¾ inches deep The knap is very dense, i.e...
  20. ripmixburn

Room help: measuring and treating a vaulted ceiling room

I don't even know where to start with this vaulted ceiling room, aside from a persian carpet for in front of the sofa. I can't seem to get a focused stereo image, though the bass seems even where the subwoofer is. The room is 13.5 deep and fairly symetrical aside from the dormer window. It used...
Top Bottom