• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brutal hi-hat on this recording?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I think Stewart Copeland is considered one of the more skilled hi-hat drummers in the rock/pop genre, but what is going on this in this?

Is it the recording, my streaming service (TIDAL), or my metal tweeter? (Monitor Audio C-CAM)

Within the first few seconds of the first song the hi-hat comes in and wow, it's just awfully grainy and overtakes the song.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
jeez the whole thing sounds like a soloed hi-hat close microphone with some bleed from the ensemble in the background

fieldcar

Sizzle! Nothing a little EQ couldn't fix.

It's a shame that we can't just have a music streaming service that allows you per album EQ correction. Though, I think foobar2000 has a plugin for that.

EDIT: the scatter plot should show a downward slope of something around -3 to -4dB/octave, but it's not really sloping downward like most recordings.
1697037091216.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
First track 'dont stand so close' does have a pretty prominent treble/hi-hat

but its not overbearing IMO.... IF you're ok with whatever diva nonsense Stewart Copeland is doling out

this is off spotify

i get the hat is probably close miked as to seem more 'live'

this is with some Canton 6" bookshelfs w/ soft dome, C100 dac and a Jungson 88 amp

fieldcar

Just for reference, here is Daft punk's Fragments of time.

EDIT: See #12

Attachments

• 1697037534779.png
    1697037534779.png
    469.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IF you're ok with whatever diva nonsense Stewart Copeland is doling out
I'd be a little kinder. Drummers I've known hate how cymbals are tamed down in recordings. Of course the rest of us aren't that keen on the sonic impact.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its only the first song where you could say its kind of offfensive

i picked a few tracks random and you hear fizz on the top registers of female vocals (eg. 'King Of Pain")

this is an interesting variation of the Police by Copeland

i suspect if i picked a set of speakers that are especially fizzy at top (eg. JBL w/ waveguide) and a trebley DAC (eg. my M300se) then it could get a lot more offensive

Elitzur–Vaidman

Just for reference, here is Daft punk's Fragments of time.

View attachment 318103
Sizzle! Nothing a little EQ couldn't fix.

It's a shame that we can't just have a music streaming service that allows you per album EQ correction. Though, I think foobar2000 has a plugin for that.

EDIT: the scatter plot should show a downward slope of something around -3 to -4dB/octave, but it's not really sloping downward like most recordings.
View attachment 318101

Your Daft Punk Spectrogram has 2x the bw of your Don't Stand So Close To Me one

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very prominent, perhaps unusually prominent, but not necessarily brutal. The Police's 1981 album Ghost in the Machine has some similar moments.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Those are very demanding hi-hats and cymbals for sure. IME stuff like this can sound anything from PITA to brilliant and this may at least partly depend on the whole playback chain. But when it sounds crappy it could as well be the recording to start with (though not very likely in this case, IMHO).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I think the gain is something you can do....but the drums sound bad cause very crushed. the whole song had his life sucked out of it

Top Bottom