• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diagramming tools for modelling component connection?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I've seen some diagrams that illustrate how various audio components (amp, preamp, phono preamp, etc) are configured in an audio system. What do you recommend for this? I use Mac but I'm sure browsers could work too. Ideally something that has a set of symbols for audio (e.g. RCA cables, binding posts).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Draw the diagram on a piece of paper and then take a picture with your phone? Sorry, don't know of software for what you want, but maybe someone does.

You can do actual circuits with various free spice simulators. Some of those may also have full component symbols.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen some diagrams that illustrate how various audio components (amp, preamp, phono preamp, etc) are configured in an audio system. What do you recommend for this? I use Mac but I'm sure browsers could work too. Ideally something that has a set of symbols for audio (e.g. RCA cables, binding posts).
Ask @dualazmak what he uses. He makes the best diagrams of his quad amp'd active system that I have ever seen. It's very nice software.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would imagine flow chart software, though not designed for audio connections, could be adapted to the purpose.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@ripmixburn would this software be of value? See the pics that @dualazmak makes for his gear.

Last edited:
OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
@ripmixburn would software this be of value? See the pics that @dualazmak makes for his gear.
Wow, lots of detail! Hopefully he'll respond and let us know what he uses.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Cool!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That does look good. Looks like the price is $199 per license. It is a variant of mind mapping software. Maybe some of the free mind mapping softwares would work for your purposes. You can create your own symbols like for the connectors and such. Concept Draw does offer a free trial.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I downloaded the demo. Many clicks later I think I am able to get my idea across. If it's clear, what do you think of the idea?
Audio Connection Vintage Receiver Modernize.png

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Top Bottom