• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap component feet: skateboard wheels

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I bought a turntable for fun and didn't want the heat of my amplifier to accumulate too much, so I bought some skateboard wheels on Amazon and they worked like a charm. Quite a snug fit as the turntable feet fit nicely into the center of the wheels.
IMG_4066.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is pretty neat on the feet, but I'm just going to say it. You'd have to work hard to find a worse place to put your turntable. Near something that puts out the largest electrical fields in the whole system and ditto for heat is not where a TT should go. I don't know the particulars of your setup or how things are arranged, but surely you can do something to get the TT away from the amp a bit.

Please I'm not trying to a jerk and critical of you.

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
That is pretty neat on the feet, but I'm just going to say it. You'd have to work hard to find a worse place to put your turntable. Near something that puts out the largest electrical fields in the whole system and ditto for heat is not where a TT should go. I don't know the particulars of your setup or how things are arranged, but surely you can do something to get the TT away from the amp a bit.

Please I'm not trying to a jerk and critical of you.
No offence taken! Space is that tight unfortunately and I have a subwoofer on either size of the credenza it's on.

The sound from this turntable (a Technics linear tracking SL-5) is excellent and I can't hear any hum at all. Should I be listening for more?

I can't say the same for the previous turntable, Pro-ject Debut Carbon (pre-DC) which sounded worse in every way and cost 6x as much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Technics linear tracking SL-5
I sold those things a lot! They cost a pretty penny in the year it was new but retirees wanted them. No more handling the needle... So peeps can attribute some of the many of these that are available still to retirees buying them a lot. :D

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I sold those things a lot! They cost a pretty penny in the year it was new but retirees wanted them. No more handling the needle... So peeps can attribute some of the many of these that are available still to retirees buying them a lot. :D
Actually, this one is the SL-QL5 but I have an SL-5 upstairs. Not sure I can hear the difference, though the SL-5 has a problem with premature ejection. :p

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I appreciate the creativity! I'd probably spray paint them to match the turntable. You can judge for yourself if things are getting too hot. I'd worry if the records themselves are getting warm because they can warp, but I doubt that's a problem.

and I can't hear any hum at all. Should I be listening for more?.
No! Don't TRY to hear defects... Try to enjoy the music! Back in the vinyl days I WISH the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" (and other defects) didn't annoy me. (I don't play records anymore.)

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I appreciate the creativity! I'd probably spray paint them to match the turntable. You can judge for yourself if things are getting too hot. I'd worry if the records themselves are getting warm because they can warp, but I doubt that's a problem.

No! Don't TRY to hear defects... Try to enjoy the music! Back in the vinyl days I WISH the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" (and other defects) didn't annoy me. (I don't play records anymore.)
I bought black ones for upstairs first. They are cheaper. Then I bought these to match the decor.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With the translucence they look like wax candles.

Top Bottom