• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget system for streaming/analog 2.1 with room correction?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I've discovered so many great components on this site that I can barely keep track. In reimagining my main system I was looking for a collection of separate components that would comprise a budget-champ system. What would it feature?
  1. Network streaming from streaming services and local files
  2. Room correction for all inputs
  3. Physical remote control
  4. Support for one or two subwoofers
  5. Digital input, analog input (bonus: phono)
  6. Support for one or more of speakers (via extra hardware)
Example 1:
  1. Roon server or…
    WiiM Mini streamer connected via optical to…
  2. miniDSP SHD Power (lacks analog input)
Example 2:
  1. WiiM Mini streamer connected via optical to…
  2. miniDSP Flex
  3. Topping PA5 or Sabaj A20A 2022

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've discovered so many great components on this site that I can barely keep track. In reimagining my main system I was looking for a collection of separate components that would comprise a budget-champ system. What would it feature?
Tough question, eh? There are too many permutations and combinations available. If you use optical in, it might be complicated to get the DSP in the signal path, unless you use a preamp or an integrated with an optical in and a 'tape loop.' Those are getting scarce.

In my bedroom, for example, I do much of this with a WiiM (optical), a BluRay player for CD via optical, and a Denon PMA600NE. If I later want to incorporate DSP, it has the 'tape loop.' It also has inputs for 2 opticals, S/PDIF coax, BT, MM phono, and a couple of aux analog RCA inputs. There's a sub output RCA. And a remote. But it won't switch speakers. And the PMA lacks a USB digital input.

Just one man's view. May not be your brand of gin or tonic.

curiouspeter

I tried the same exercise. I ended up getting a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. For $2500, it is not cheap, but very affordable compared to similar integrated products. Every time I tried to cheap out I ended up paying more in the end. It is especially good with integrating two subwoofers. Remote Control is another $100 though, but I programmed my Logitech Harmony remote to control it.

A miniDSP Flex with XLR, Dirac full license, and UMIK-1 costs over $840 already. You will still need a streamer and a server, and a power amplifier.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could just use a variety of avrs.

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Example 1:
  1. Roon server or…
    WiiM Mini streamer connected via optical to…
  2. miniDSP SHD Power (lacks analog input)
Example 2:
  1. WiiM Mini streamer connected via optical to…
  2. miniDSP Flex
  3. Topping PA5 or Sabaj A20A 2022
A variation on Example 2:
1. WiiM Mini streamer
2. miniDSP Flex
3. Genelec G Three (nearly same as 8030C,...like that G Three it has both XLR and RCA inputs)

Stretching the bounds of a budget system already, but a nice sub would be welcome too (SVS Micro 3000? 2000 Pro?)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a thread like this some time back with similar requirements.

The MiniDSP Flex has since come out and does get you closer to the ideal. You'd set up a 2ch amp and a sub on the preouts.

However, I still think that the best way to set up a 2.1 system with room correction on all inputs is to get a used Audyssey XT32 or Dirac Live AVR. It's a lot bigger but there's a ton more functionality, not to mention inputs. I think you'd spend about the same money either way.

-Matt-

This list of requirements could also work as an answer to the question... What is an AVR? You just didn't reach the multi channel part yet!
:)

Top Bottom